× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: WNCE3001 gets several entries in D7000 Attached Devices list

vultic
Aspirant

WNCE3001 gets several entries in D7000 Attached Devices list

I use a WNCE3001 to connect my DirectTV DVR to our home network wirelessly. It seems to work however since I have added this component the router, D7000 Nighthawk DSL modem/router, has had to be restated more often. In addition, even though I set up an address resgistration for the WNCE3001 which does not work, the WNCE3001 is listed 3 or 4 times in the d7000's Attached Devices list. They all have different IP assignments with the same MAC address. Strange but maybe there is an explaination. Can anyone explain or help resolve this?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 6
JamesGL
Master

Hi vultic,

1. Reset the WNCE3001 and reconfigure it.

2. Does it only happens on the WNCE3001 or same with other devices connected?

3. Check the firmware version of the WNCE3001 and make sure it is updated.

JamesGL

Community Team

Message 2 of 6
vultic
Aspirant

@JamesGL wrote:

Hi vultic,

1. Reset the WNCE3001 and reconfigure it.

2. Does it only happens on the WNCE3001 or same with other devices connected?

3. Check the firmware version of the WNCE3001 and make sure it is updated.

JamesGL

Community Team

Thanks for the response jamesGL.

1 - Did it

2 - Only the WNCE3001

3 - Using the WNCE3001 web interface I used the Update firmware check. Reported that no new firmware was available.

No change after reconfiguring the adapter. Still reporting several entries in the routers "attached Devices" list. Interestingly, I have disconnected the WNCE3001 from the network for 30 hours and the network is much more stable. Normally I will have to reboot the Nighthawk D7000 (which is at the latest firmware release) at least twice during a 24 hour period. With the WNCE3001 out of the network it has been 36 hourse of uniterupted operation. Coincidence? Maybe.

The fact that the D7000 DHCP server would assign several IPs to the same MAC is troubling me. That seems a violation, or incorrect implementation, of the DHCP protocol (RFC 2131)?

Message 3 of 6
vultic
Aspirant

Update:

May be a coincidence but since taking the WNCE3001 out of my network I have had over 90 hours of uninterrupted service. Normally, The D7000 router would have been rebooted 2 or three times a day after what appearded to be total service shutdown.

We'll see how this progresses. It would be nice to get an answer or possible explainations from Netgear. My feeling is that the issue is two fold:

1 - Why is the WNCE3001 making more that one DHCP request in the first place?

2 - Even if that is common place or not unexpected, the D7000 should not be servicing that request because the DHCP request (infact all the headers in the handshake) contain the hardware address of the requesting client (as per the RFC).

Bottom line is that no single MAC address should be issued more than one IP address (except maybe for special NICs).

Message 4 of 6
JamesGL
Master

Hi vultic,

Please try setting a static IP on the WNCE3001 page. Use the IP address with same range as the router.

JamesGL
Community Team

Message 5 of 6
JamesGL
Master

Hi vultic,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information we’ve provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance.

JamesGL
Community Team

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7