× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Windows 10 (A6100 A6200 A6210) Installation Heads Up

Tender
Aspirant

What about users with A6200? 

• What model of adaptor are you having issues with? A6200
  • Is the Win10 install a fresh install or an upgrade?  Upgrade
  • If an upgrade, from what version of Windows? 8.1
  • What is the H/W model of the PC/tablet/netbook?  Custom.  MSI H81M-E34 motherboard with G3220 CPU.
  • What driver version are you attempting to install?  I have tried default Windows, Win 10 Beta, 1.0.0.26-1
  • Did you try installing with AV / Firewall disabled? Tried it both ways
  • What error messages do you see? None.  
  • If no error messages what failure of functionality do you see?  Network connection drops and will not find networks again until re-inserted into USB port.

Message 151 of 278
iLeopard
Aspirant

• What model of adaptor are you having issues with? A6200
  • Is the Win10 install a fresh install or an upgrade?  Fresh Install
  • If an upgrade, from what version of Windows? N/A
  • What is the H/W model of the PC/tablet/netbook?  Custom.  Asus P8Z77V-LK Intel i5-3570
  • What driver version are you attempting to install?  Tried all downloadable from A6200 Support Webpage, none of them is working. currently on 6.30.145.30
  • Did you try installing with AV / Firewall disabled? Yes, but no help.
  • What error messages do you see? No error message during installation. But the installation window will hang up at the last stage for a few mins before it's done.
  • If no error messages what failure of functionality do you see?  Network connection drops especially during high network usage e.g. playing Online games. Then unable to detect adpater, have to unplug and re-insert the adapter.
Message 152 of 278
KX4JR
Aspirant

Did you have to get rid of the old driver for your A6200 first?   I'm using an N6100 and it works - sometimes.  I purchased the same adapter you installed but haven't in stalled it yet.  Their website says they're still working on the Win 10 driver and will send me an email when its available.

Message 153 of 278
SimDunk
Aspirant

1. What model of adaptor are you having issues with? A6200
  2. Is the Win10 install a fresh install or an upgrade? Upgrade
  3. If an upgrade, from what version of Windows? Windows 8.1
  4. What is the H/W model of the PC/tablet/netbook? Custom Intel i5 4690K, ASUS® MAXIMUS VII RANGER, NVidia GTX 970
  5. What driver version are you attempting to install? Installed 1.0.0.26-1  Please note the driver shown in devise manager is 6.30.145.30
  6. Did you try installing with AV / Firewall disabled? Yes
  7. What error messages do you see? No error message
  8. If no error messages what failure of functionality do you see? Disconnects and will not re-enable until unplugged and re-inserted.

Message 154 of 278
ohbilly
Aspirant

Thought I would share my positive experience. Windows update must have broken my Windows 10 A6200 as well. It was working fine after the upgrade and suddenly decided to stop connecting after a month. Here's what I did to fix it. 

1. Install the latest Beta driver as of 9/5/15

2. It worked BUT download speeds seemed to be capped at 300k.

3. To fix this I right clicked the wireless icon in the systray (bottom right of screen), and went to "Open Network and Sharing Center"

4. On the left side click "change adapter settings"

5. Right click the wireless adapter, go to properties

6. Click Configure

7. Select the "Advanced" Tab

8. Scroll down to "AP Compatibility Mode"

9. Change it to "Broader Compatibility"

This resulted in my download speeds going immediately from 300k to 2000k (my limit usually). 

I have an Edimax AC1200 wireless router. Don't know if there is some compatibility issues, but it fixed my problem nicely!

Message 155 of 278
KX4JR
Aspirant

The A6100 adapter.

Win10 was an upgrade

from Win 7, 64 Bit Prof.

The motherboard is Gigabyte

Latest for A6100 is 1026.1.911.2013 which was already installed on Win 7 above where it worked 100% of the time.

When the PC is fired up, the A6100 won't connect even when I enter the security password, etc.

After two contacts with NetGear's 'Support' people we got it to connect, on a startup by startup basis, by unplugging the adapter from the USB port and re plugging it

in.  As long as the system is running everything is fine.  If I put the PC to sleep, and wake it up, it still remains connected.

But, don't shut it down, else it's back to the unplug and plug activity.

KX4JR

Message 156 of 278
ty880336
Aspirant

Hi ohbilly. Where did you get the latest beta driver for A6200?  1.0.0.35 version just not working for most people.

Message 157 of 278
ohbilly
Aspirant

I'm using the same 35 version. I uninstalled the old, rebooted, installed the beta and it works for me.
Message 158 of 278
douga54
Star

Is your wireless network encrypted with a WEP key?  Mine is and the driver will not recognize my key

Message 159 of 278
kogimus
Aspirant

Adding myself to the list, because this is, frankly, unacceptable.

A $50 paperweight, as it drops packets erratically enough to make any sort of gaming, most WAN streaming, and a large portion of LAN streaming useless.

1. What model of adaptor are you having issues with?

A6210 fresh from the package

1. Is the Win10 install a fresh install or an upgrade?

Upgrade

1. If an upgrade, from what version of Windows?

Win10 Developer's Preview upgraded to Windows 10 professional

1. What is the H/W model of the PC/tablet/netbook?

Custom build : 
Asus Sabertooth 990FX motherboard

AMD FX-8350 Processor

Dual R9 270s

24GB DDR3 RAM

60GB Agility 3 SSD main drive

dual 10k RPM 1TB SATAIII RAID 0+1 storage

1. What driver version are you attempting to install?

1st attempt : Netgear A6210v1.0.0.32

2nd attempt : Mediatek 1.5.39.126

3rd attempt : default windows drivers

1. Did you try installing with AV / Firewall disabled?

Yes.

1. What error messages do you see?

Unless you can count "erratically dropping packets or ping response times jumping up to the 3-4s range" as an error message, none.

1. If no error messages what failure of functionality do you see?

See Above

Look, is there a debug log i can check to see what (if any) errors are being generated internally for the interface? I'm not seeing anything in the event viewer, but, the error KIND of seems like despite being configured to not do so, the device is being powered down momentarily, causing the TCP handshakes to get out of sync (hence the absurdly high ping responses/time outs on an otherwise good connection).

The reason for my guess on the "momentary powerdown" hypothesis is that i can cause it to *not* drop packets if I run something that is relatively high-bandwidth usage (say, copying a 2GB file from my NAS to a local folder and back) for as long as that file transfer is running...perhaps there's an "idle threshold" value somewhere that's set too low, causing the system to see "oh, device is at or below idle threshold" and start to power it down (we'll ignore the "it's set to not do that", because.. that's possibly related to the same underlying issue) when all one is doing is non-intensive activities (streaming video, playing an online game, etc), but that threshold is met when doing things that are more intensive?

Message 160 of 278
ohbilly
Aspirant

i'm using wpa2

Message 161 of 278
douga54
Star

Here is what I don't want.. I don't want to go through a bunch of steps to make my existing A6200 compatible with the free Windows 10 upgrade from Windows 7.

Here is what I do want.  When i download the free Windows 10 upgrade, my existing A6200 drivers will work, or Windows 10 will recognize my wireless adapter and install the correct driver automatically.

IS THIS TO MUCH TO ASK!!!!!!!!!!!

Message 162 of 278
Plattfish
Guide

Any update for a6200 owners? Same problem as everyone else regarding constant, random connectivity drops. Unplugging and plugging back in temporarily solves the issue. A lot of chatter popping up in event viewer during these network drops, listed as event 10400. If anyone has a work around, I'd love to hear it. This is getting extremely frustrating, and netgear phone support has been pretty unhelpful.

Message 163 of 278
AlaskaWolf
Initiate

The listed solutions fix the problem, but only temporarily so they really aren't  "Solution".  After following the "http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29802" Solution exactly, Windows 10 and my A6200 adapter got on well for about a week.  Then this morning I restarted only to have the "No Connectivity" message once again.  Trying to connect through the Genie wouldn't work as the Genie program would no longer launch from either the desktop shortcut link or from the actual program location.  I then tried reconnecting through the Microsoft interface only to receive a "connection failed" message each time I tried.  I went back and tried the WPS solution, again nothing.  Finally, I resorted to removing the A6200 adapter from its USB slot and plugging it back in and it worked like a charm instantly finding and connecting to my hidden SID.  As an after thought, I shutdown my system twice, and restarted my system twice.  All four times I had to remove and reinstall the A6200 adapter to get it to work again. So I suppose the next questio is why did it work flawlessly for a week?

What model of adapter are you having issues with?   A6200

Is the Win10 install a fresh install or an upgrade? Tried both Upgrade from Win 8.1 Pro x64 and fresh install suffered same issues

What is the H/W model of the PC/tablet/netbook? Dell XPS 8700

What driver version are you attempting to install? V1.0.0.26-1 and Beta V1.0.0.35 both

Did you try installing with AV / Firewall disabled? Yes, no effect

What error messages do you see?: "Connection failed"

If no error messages what failure of functionality do you see?  A6200 unable to connect to Netgear router

Message 164 of 278
seanvree
Tutor

@ohbilly wrote:

Thought I would share my positive experience. Windows update must have broken my Windows 10 A6200 as well. It was working fine after the upgrade and suddenly decided to stop connecting after a month. Here's what I did to fix it. 

1. Install the latest Beta driver as of 9/5/15

2. It worked BUT download speeds seemed to be capped at 300k.

3. To fix this I right clicked the wireless icon in the systray (bottom right of screen), and went to "Open Network and Sharing Center"

4. On the left side click "change adapter settings"

5. Right click the wireless adapter, go to properties

6. Click Configure

7. Select the "Advanced" Tab

8. Scroll down to "AP Compatibility Mode"

9. Change it to "Broader Compatibility"

This resulted in my download speeds going immediately from 300k to 2000k (my limit usually). 

I have an Edimax AC1200 wireless router. Don't know if there is some compatibility issues, but it fixed my problem nicely!

I don't have the "AP Conpatibility mode" ??

Message 165 of 278
douga54
Star

So here's what happened to me.  I downloaded the free Windows 10 upgrade.  It went thru the install, but before the install completed it killed my A6200 so I couldn't even download any fix that might be available.  I finally got the Netgear Beta driver for the A6200 Windows 10.  It allowed me to see available networks but it would not let me login to my encrypted wireless home network, wouldn't accept my encryption key.  After several re-installs I gave up and went back to Windows 7.  Everything works now.  Netgear has been no help.  I see many other Netgear users having problems with Windows 10 drivers and I am in no hurry to go thru this again.  I guess I will stick with Windows 7 until I find a wireless network adapter that is known to work well with both Windows 7 and 10.  Frustrating. 

Message 166 of 278
Gregors53
Aspirant

I decided to upgrade from the A6200 to the A6210 because the A6200 would randomly lost connection to my Nighthawk AC3200 and I'd have to reseat the A6200 to restore connectivity. Huge mistake! The A6210 will connect to the router. But, the minute I try to access the net, I lose connection. I've uninstalled software, reinstalled software, let Windows 10 figure out the adapter and nothing works. It's headed back for a refund. Since I'm not the only person complaining about Netgear's wireless adapters, and Netgear doesn't seem to care about resolution, I'm giving up on their products...(And I really love the NightHawk!)

Message 167 of 278
Cithulu
Aspirant

Thanks a ton for this link.  This allowed Windows 10 to recognize my 5ghz network.

Message 168 of 278
Joshuaderriere
Aspirant

Dumb question, but I'll ask anyway - If I uninstall the Netgear drivers and do not have access to the Interent other than via a Wi-Fi connection, how do I download the new drivers?

Message 169 of 278

Download the driver now, don't install it. Save it to your desktop or elsewhere you well know where it's at. Then do all the steps.
Update us whether it works for you or not.
Message 170 of 278
Joshuaderriere
Aspirant

Thank you for your response.  Unfortunately, my daughter already uninstalled the drivers per the instructions from a previous post.  Do we have any options for downloading the needed drivers other than moving and connecting her computer to an Internet connection using an Ethernet cable?  Thank you for your help. 

Message 171 of 278
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Download using another computer to a USB memory stick.

Message 172 of 278
DaveyG
Guide

I have now currently given up with trying to get my A6210 adaptor to work on Windows 10.

The adaptor conflicts with other USB hardware on my system.

I am fortunate in that I have a range extender (used to connect other wired devices) in close

proximity to the PC so I am currently using a Network cable as an alternative.

The range extender is used exclusively for connecting the wired devices. I have disabled

the wireless functionality on the extender.

Message 173 of 278
Dustrega
Star

Months. Take that word in. It has been MONTHS, since Netgear has had any tangible information or updates for this particular problem. It has been MONTHS, since I have seen any viable solution or suggestion to fix this problem. In case you don't know what I'm talking about, I would suggest looking here and here. You have taken my information, Netgear, and done what with it? Nothing, absolutely nothing. No word, no PMs, no credibility. I'll grant the guise of effort, but that is about all I will grant.  I have been compliant with all requests for information and patience. I have been completely understanding that things like this take time, but MONTHS? There are issues with your hardware that have been around since Windows 8, and now with the release of Windows 10 the problem has resurfaced. Living proof that the problems you DON'T SOLVE will come around to bite you. Are you going to learn this time? Probably not, but as long as you got my money, and that of others, at one point or another you probably couldn't care less.

Message 174 of 278
noboundaries
Guide

This is a total stuff up by NETGEAR for firmware update/upgrade to Windows 10

I have no faith in this brand any more,

They have had made no attempt to resolve this and platitiudes only go so far.

I cannot believe an organistation release so call ed updates when it causes so much grief.

I wil be getting rid of NETGEAR all of it, it all seems to fail from router to extender to adapter.

So bad

Message 175 of 278
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7