× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Failed switch

chudak
Guide

Failed switch

I had NETGEAR 16-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch (GS316) for 3 years.
3 days ago I found my devices in disarray and after power off and on this switch everything work fine for awhile. However such failure has happened 3 more times after this.

Wonder is thus usual way for a switch to fail ?

thx

Model: GS316|16 Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch
Message 1 of 5
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Failed switch

@chudak,

Kindly check the physical connections.  Check if the ethernet cables connecting the GS316 to the networking devices are properly plugged-in to the respective ports.  Also, check if the power adapter of the GS316 is properly plugged-in to the AC outlet.  

If the same problem still occur, access the GS316 support page here then click on the Guided Assistance button.  Follow the online instructions to process an online replacement.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 5
Bluewater24x7
Aspirant

I am having the same connectivity issues. No problems until I switched to XFinity. I have an XFinity modem and Orbi RBR950 wireless router. I have tried the GS316 from the XFinity modem and the Orbi router. Nothing seems to work. I have tested all the cables. Nothing through though GS316 works. All the devices work directly wired from the XFinity or Orbi devices. I have read the power saving feature may cause a problem. Is there a way to turn it off on the GS316?
Model: GS316|16 Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch
Message 3 of 5
chudak
Guide

I suspect that in my case the switch was not faulty 

I have a usb-c hub that was poisoning my network - e.g. making it unresponsive 

I've never seen anything like that before, but that what it was...

Message 4 of 5
schumaku
Guru

@chudak wrote:

I suspect that in my case the switch was not faulty 

I have a usb-c hub that was poisoning my network - e.g. making it unresponsive 

The interesting question here is to which device/port this USB Ethernet port replicator is connected to. Technically, these USB port replicators are sending out a pause frame while there is no USB host connected. This pause frame is intended only for the direct peer (the device they connect to physically) - this peer must not further distribute that pause frame an further, because each other device (supporting the pause frame) will immediately also stop sending frames. It does not matter if this is an Ethernet switch, the provider router, a mesh system: Every system forwarding these frames to other peers requires a fix (unmanaged switches a replacement). 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements