× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

GS108v4 - only one port is working

vividpath
Aspirant

GS108v4 - only one port is working

Hello people,

I bought today the GS108v4 switch.

I connected one of the port of the switch directly to a modem-only device.

Then I connected a 2nd port of the switch to my laptop. The laptop successfully got connected.

Then I connected a 2nd device to the 3rd port of the switch.

Immediately my laptop got disconnected from internet.

Whatever combination I try, only one of the device is gaining connection.

Cant the switch generate ip addresses for all the devices connected to the ports?

Can someone tell me what am I doing wrong and how I can gain internet access to all the connected devices?

Thanks a lot for your assistance.

Best Regards,

Pradeep

Model: GS108v4|ProSafe 8 ports gigabit unmanaged switch
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: GS108v4 - only one port is working

Hello vividpath, 

It is good to know you have it working!  No, it is not necessary since the ports are auto-sensing it should automatically just connect. Just remember that the switch needs to be behind the router to get and pass DHCP to the clients. 

If this posts is resolved, please click on "Mark as Solution" as this will help other users if they experience the same issue. Let us know if you have more questions. 

Thanks, 

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello vividpath, 

You will need a router for your setup, the GS108v4 does not have a DHCP server function. The reason why you lost connection from the laptop is because the IP address given by the modem was taken away when you have connected the second device. 

Let us know if you have more questions. 

Thanks, 

Message 2 of 5
vividpath
Aspirant

Hi JohnRo,

The behavior did not improve even if I have my "cisco linksys wireless router" connected to one of the ports of the GS108v4.

To note the wireless router is working byitself fine: If I dont connect any other devices except the wireless router to GS108v4, am able to connect to internet over wireless.

But as soon as I try to gain internet using one of the other port on GS108v4, while keeping the wireless routier connected to GS108v4, it is still not working.

Can you please let me know about the proper setup?

Thanks again..

Pradeep

Message 3 of 5
vividpath
Aspirant

Hi JohnRo,

It worked this time, when I connected several devices on the Netgear switch together with my wireless router..!

The only difference I did was that I connected one device after other to the switch, in between switching off the netgear switch.

Is switching off in between connecting devices to the Switch really necessary?

Thanks,

Pradeep

Message 4 of 5
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello vividpath, 

It is good to know you have it working!  No, it is not necessary since the ports are auto-sensing it should automatically just connect. Just remember that the switch needs to be behind the router to get and pass DHCP to the clients. 

If this posts is resolved, please click on "Mark as Solution" as this will help other users if they experience the same issue. Let us know if you have more questions. 

Thanks, 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements