× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Unable to get JGS524NA on my network ... help?

Elgatogordo
Aspirant

Unable to get JGS524NA on my network ... help?

Hi!

I have a JGS524NA switch that I have been trying to add to my newtork for the past few days. I have an Aiport Time Capsule (gen2) that is acting as my router and running DHCP. For some reason when I connect the JGS524NA to the ATC I lose connection to the internet completely. Wired or WiFi does not work. As soon as I disconnect the JGS524NA everything returns to normal. I have tried to connect directly to the JGS524NA to check it's configuration but I am unable to connect. I have followed the instructions here and I have followed the instrucions on pg 7-8 here.

The JGS524NA does not appear to have a physical reset button so I cannot set it to factory defaults and start over.

This is way more effort than I anticipated putting into an "unmanaged" switch.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Model: JGS524|24 Port Gigabit Switch
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Unable to get JGS524NA on my network ... help?

@Elgatogordo,

Thanks for the update.  I'm glad to know that everything is now working fine.  🙂 

Feel free to post your future concerns here in the community.  Since your concern has been resolved, I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR Community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @Elgatogordo,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

The instructions you followed in this article, is meant for the ProSAFE Access Points and not for the JGS524 switch.  Also, the instructions indicated on pages 7-8 here are for the ProSAFE Web Managed Plus Switches. 

The JGS524 switch is an unmanaged switch which means it is just a pass-through switch and it does not have any configurable settings.  The purpose of the JGS524 switch is to extend the local network so that you can connect more devices such as computers, printer, etc. via a wired connection.  Also, the JGS524 switch does not really have a physical reset button. 

Let us isolate the problem.  Here are the steps below:

1. Make sure you are using a working CAT5e or CAT6 ethernet cable.  Connect port 1 (or any LAN port) of the JGS524 switch directly to any LAN port of the Airport Time Capsule.  Here are my questions:

a. Is the port LED lights of port 1 (or any LAN port you used) of the JGS524 switch lit up?  If yes, what is the color and behavior of the port link/ACT LED and port speed LED of the                           corresponding port?  Read this article as reference.

b. Is the port LED light of the LAN port of the Airport Time Capsule to where the JGS524 switch is connected to lit up as well? 

Note: If ever the port LED lights of both JGS524 switch and Airport Time Capsule are not lit up, try changing the ethernet cable. 

2. While the JGS524 switch is connected directly to a LAN port of the Airport Time Capsule, connect a PC to any of the LAN ports of the JGS524 switch.  If ever the PC has a WiFi enabled, kindly disable it for the meantime to test the LAN connectivity.  Then, check if the PC is able to obtain a valid LAN IP address from the Airport Time Capsule.  Here are my questions: 

a. Is the PC able to obtain a valid LAN IP address from the Airport Time Capsule while connected directly to the JGS524 switch?

b. Are you able to get replies when you ping the LAN IP Address of the Airport Time Capsule from your PC? 

c. While the PC is connected directly to the JGS524 switch, are you able to access the settings of the Airport Time Capsule?

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 5
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Elgatogordo,

I just want to follow-up on this.  Were you able to perform the steps I suggested?  If yes, let us know the results.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 3 of 5
Elgatogordo
Aspirant

Hi DaneA!

Thank you for replying to my post! Sorry for the delay in replying. For some reason I could not login to the forums before but I was able to today.

First off thanks for pointing out that I was referencing the wrong manuals and info. I’m going to chalk that up to frustration and lack of caffeine. 😉

Oddly everything just started working the next morning when I plugged it all together again … so odd. My suspicion leans towards the Airport Time Capsule as it has been acting up lately. I was going to (and still may) hard reset it and redo the configuration from scratch.

I will answer your questions based on how things were when nothing was working properly.

1) a. The LEDs were green and flashing intermittently (as they are now)
b. Yes the ATC port was also lit and flashing intermittently.
2)  a. The PC (Mac) was showing an internal IP (169.254.xxx.xxx) while connected to the JGS524. Wifi was not enabled on the PC(Mac).
b. Time out when I tried to ping the ATC
c. I was unable to access the setting for the ATC. The error was something to the effect of "this device used to be on the network but is no longer accessible"

All the devices connected via Wifi lost their connections as well.
Oddly as soon as I unplugged the JGS524 from the ATC and reconnected my Mac to the ATC everything was fine.
Message 4 of 5
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Elgatogordo,

Thanks for the update.  I'm glad to know that everything is now working fine.  🙂 

Feel free to post your future concerns here in the community.  Since your concern has been resolved, I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR Community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements