× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Is the EN104 a hub in the sense of repeating incoming packets to all other ports?

aurosharman
Aspirant

Is the EN104 a hub in the sense of repeating incoming packets to all other ports?

I'm looking to pick up a few ethernet hubs, for network troubleshooting use -- stick a hub between two devices, tap in a computer running WireShark, and analyze the traffic.  It's starting to become difficult to find a classic "dumb hub", that repeats what it gets on each port to all other ports.  I'm trying to figure out whether the EN104 is like that; if so, will probably pick up a few.

Model: EN104|4-port 10 BASE-T Ethernet Hub|EOL
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: Is the EN104 a hub in the sense of repeating incoming packets to all other ports?

Don't know about the EM104 effective implementation. Not sure you will be happy with just 10 Mb ports for the purpose intended.

Nowadays one does make use of a (light) managed switch supporting port mirroring like all Netgear Smart Managed Plus or Smart Managed Pro devices for example. Classic hubs are history. For specific usage, more challenging, and expensive are dedicated Network TAPs.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

Re: Is the EN104 a hub in the sense of repeating incoming packets to all other ports?

Don't know about the EM104 effective implementation. Not sure you will be happy with just 10 Mb ports for the purpose intended.

Nowadays one does make use of a (light) managed switch supporting port mirroring like all Netgear Smart Managed Plus or Smart Managed Pro devices for example. Classic hubs are history. For specific usage, more challenging, and expensive are dedicated Network TAPs.

Message 2 of 3
aurosharman
Aspirant

For my use case, slow is fine, I'm looking at devices that are supposed to upload a range of 40-200 MB of data per day.  In some cases they have trouble getting a link through to our cloud services, and a pcap can help figure out what's going wrong...  I guess converting a managed switch for mirroring works.  It's just easier to have something that by default does what I want it to do, with no config.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements