× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Slow GS105v5

stebberg
Aspirant

Slow GS105v5

Hi guys!

Having problem with my GS105 gigabity switch.

My setup:

Ubuquity USG > Netgear GS108PEv3 > 30 m cable > GS108PEv3 > 15 m cable > Wall outlet > GS105v5 > Computer

Not sure if it is called "wall outlet" but the cables are going inside the walls and I mean the connector installed in the wall you insert your TP-cable into)

When removing the GS105 and plugging the computer directly into the outlet it reaches about 106 Mbit (normal due to my ISP), but when passing through the GS105 it only comes to about 49-50 Mbit.

I also tried an older FS105 (is it called so? 100 Mbit-switch), when I use that one it goes to about 80 Mbit.

My cables are all cat6, they might not be perfect done in the outlet but why do it work without the GS105 switch??

I have VLAN-tagging between the two GS108s but all untagged between the last GS108 and outlet.

Any ideas?

Have a great day!

Model: GS105v5|ProSAFE 5-port Gigabit Switch
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
stebberg
Aspirant

Re: Slow GS105v5

This is so strange, I bought a new UniFi switch and put it as the first switch (after my router) instead of my netgear gs108

So, from:

UniFi USG > Netgear GS108PEv3 > 30 m cable > GS108PEv3 > 15 m cable > Wall outlet > GS105v5 > Computer

and now:

UniFi USG > UniFi Switch > 30 m cable > GS108PEv3 > 15 m cable > Wall outlet > GS105v5 > Computer

And now it works, I have at least 108 Mbit on my computer.

There are strange things going on between ubiquity and netgear, I can't use netgear's GUI when the netgear device is connected to a ubiquity device, but it works as a switch... (but this is another question)

I guess we can't/don't have to solve this anymore...

Thank for you help DaneA

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi stebberg,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

Since it seemed that you have already isolated the problem, I suggest you to open a chat/online case with NETGEAR Support at anytime and let them know about your concern.  If ever your GS105v5 switch is declared faulty, you will need to submit a .doc or .pdf copy of the Proof of Purchase or Sales Invoice of your GS105v5 for warranty verification.  If the hardware warranty is still valid, an online replacement will follow.

Regards,

DaneA
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 6
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@stebberg,

I just want to follow-up on this.  Were you able to open a chat or online case with NETGEAR Support regarding your concern?  If yes, kindly keep us posted about it.

Regards,

DaneA
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 3 of 6
stebberg
Aspirant

Hi DaneA,

thanks for asking, but I have not been able to do this yet..

The switch is in my weekend house and I've not been there for a week, but in a couple of days...

I actually have one more brand new gs105 in an unopened box, I could try it as well - and of course try these in another setup as well... it just don't feel like a damaged switch.. I must say.. Not sure where the receipts are either, so it might be a dead case anyways, bought those years ago.

I will try this on sat or sun.

Have a great day!

Message 4 of 6
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@stebberg,

Thanks for the update.  Keep us posted.

Have a great day as well. 🙂 

Regards,

DaneA
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 5 of 6
stebberg
Aspirant

This is so strange, I bought a new UniFi switch and put it as the first switch (after my router) instead of my netgear gs108

So, from:

UniFi USG > Netgear GS108PEv3 > 30 m cable > GS108PEv3 > 15 m cable > Wall outlet > GS105v5 > Computer

and now:

UniFi USG > UniFi Switch > 30 m cable > GS108PEv3 > 15 m cable > Wall outlet > GS105v5 > Computer

And now it works, I have at least 108 Mbit on my computer.

There are strange things going on between ubiquity and netgear, I can't use netgear's GUI when the netgear device is connected to a ubiquity device, but it works as a switch... (but this is another question)

I guess we can't/don't have to solve this anymore...

Thank for you help DaneA

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements