× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Acronis Or Netgear Software?

XrayDoc88
Guide

Acronis Or Netgear Software?

I've decided it's time to finally retire my trusty home built Windows Home Server and purchase a NAS.  I've pretty much decided on a Netgear ReadyNAS model.  I'd like the NAS to make automatic complete backups (hopefully disc images) of each machine in my network.  I want to be able to completely restore any computer from the NAS should there be a catastrophe.  Can the software that comes with the ReadyNAS do this automatically and does it work well?  Or should I purchase a program such as Acronis True Image, which I have used before?  Thanks!

Model: RN628X|ReadyNAS 628X - Ultimate Performance Business Data Storage - 8-Bay
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Acronis Or Netgear Software?

The built-in NAS backup jobs won't create image backups.  If you share folders on your PC over the network, they can back them on on a schedule (assuming the source PCs are powered on when the backup job is run).

Personally I use Acronis TrueImage on my PCs, with the backup destination set to a NAS share.  I use the ReadyNAS backup jobs to back up my NAS (to other NAS).  FWIW, Acronis has a black friday sale on right now.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

The built-in NAS backup jobs won't create image backups.  If you share folders on your PC over the network, they can back them on on a schedule (assuming the source PCs are powered on when the backup job is run).

Personally I use Acronis TrueImage on my PCs, with the backup destination set to a NAS share.  I use the ReadyNAS backup jobs to back up my NAS (to other NAS).  FWIW, Acronis has a black friday sale on right now.

Message 2 of 3
XrayDoc88
Guide

Thank you.  I will take advantage of the current sale with Acronis.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements