× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Automatic home folders on mac

Equinox1
Guide

Automatic home folders on mac

Hi everybody,

I’m running a Pro 6 with OS 6.9.5, and I have several user accounts (mom/dad/daughter1/daughter2) and I would like to automount their home folder as a drive on the mac desktop when they log in on the desktop.

But so far, I haven’t been able to do this.

What should be the path to a home folder on the Readynas?

Model: RNDP6000v2|ReadyNAS Pro 6 Chassis only
Message 1 of 8
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: Automatic home folders on mac

They are individual shares, named the same as the user name.  But they are only created once the user logs in.  If you are trying to do this for them in advance of them ever logging in, that's likely your problem.

Message 2 of 8
Equinox1
Guide

Thanks for the input, but I noticed that on the support article.

What should the share address be?

SMB://<readynas>/home ?
Message 3 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@Equinox1 wrote:

SMB://<readynas>/home ?

No, SMB://<readynas>/mom (or whatever the user name is).

This only works if you are access the NAS with the user credentials for that account.

Message 4 of 8
Equinox1
Guide

So, there’s no way of doing a system-wide configuration that I can create for all users at boot-up?

Message 5 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@Equinox1 wrote:

So, there’s no way of doing a system-wide configuration that I can create for all users at boot-up?

The home share name for each user account matches their user name, and requires you to access the NAS using either that user's credentials or the NAS admin account.  If each Mac user name (and password) matches their NAS user name, then you might be able to automate it - though again, each user needs to log into the Mac for that to happen.  So it can't be done at boot-up, it has to be automated at log on.

<Note, you could mount all the home shares - or the full data volume - using NAS admin credentials. But I wouldn't do that for this use case>.

Are you using a shared user account on the Mac?  If you are, then I suggest creating a shared user account on the NAS, and use that credential on the Mac to access the network shares.  Disable the home share feature (by turning off all network protocols on "home".).  Then create public shares for each family member instead.  Those can be all mounted at boot-up.   But since you are using a shared PC with a shared log on, those shares won't be restricted (so all family members will be able to see them and access them).  Of course the files on the PC work that way too.

Message 6 of 8
Equinox1
Guide

The use-case is almost trivial:

-mom/dad/daughter logs in on the mac and sees immediately a personal drive on the right of the desktop.

Dad 🙂 would like to configure it at system level using a single line in the control panel for mounting shares, instead of having to do it for everyone of the 5 profile on the mac....

Another note: how can use local and ReadyCloud users? Do I need to use 2 home folders? The local user cannot share home folder with cloud one?

Message 7 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@Equinox1 wrote:

The use-case is almost trivial:

Yes, but as you describe it, it's clear that it can't be automated at boot time.  It needs to happen when the user logs in.  

@Equinox1 wrote:

Dad 🙂 would like to configure it at system level using a single line in the control panel for mounting shares, instead of having to do it for everyone of the 5 profile on the mac....

I'm not a Mac user, so I can't help you there.  

@Equinox1 wrote:

Another note: how can use local and ReadyCloud users? Do I need to use 2 home folders? The local user cannot share home folder with cloud one?

Unfortunately, Netgear provides no way to unify local and ReadyCloud user accounts.  That's a huge mistake on their part.. So even though you are the same person, you end up with two accounts, with two home folders - and no way to bridge the gap between them.

That's another reason to disable the home folder feature, and use normal network shares instead.  You can restrict access to the network shares if you like (so both the local and readycloud user pair have access, but others don't). That comes close to matching the home folder feature - other users will see the share itself, but you can make sure they can't see the contents.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements