× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

BUGs ReadynAS OS 6.10.1

Alein
Aspirant

BUGs ReadynAS OS 6.10.1

2 BUGs in new FW

1.In performance I can see non-existing old disk.

2.My device become now a WIFI AP or router 🙂

Model: RD5200|ReadyDATA 5200 Enterprise Storage, ReadyNAS-4200v2|ReadyNAS 4200v2
Message 1 of 6
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: BUGs ReadynAS OS 6.10.1

Hi @Alein

I checked our 528X and does not have the same issue. Have you tried using a different browser or clearing web data then reload the page?

Regards

Message 2 of 6
hmuessig
Luminary

I'll add a few more . . .

When adding a new drive to expand a volume the web interface says "resyncing" while the LCD display on the NAS says "Reshaping".

When moving from page to page within the web interface frequently the new page does not refresh. For example, after copying 500GB of data to the drive tand then clicking on the volume and share pages the information is not updated until you tap the "refresh" button. (It also happened when I cleared the logs and then was perplexed that the counts at the bottom of the page remained(!) including some critical (red) ones. A page refresh was needed.)

More seriously, the NAS name is not reliably displayed on the browser window tab. I've not been able to reliably and repeatedly reproduce this but it continues to happen (and is a big pain (!!) 'cause I'm working with 3 NASs right now).  See the attached screenshot.

FWIW last year I suggested that NetGear add the NAS name to all the screens and not rely on the browser to display it on its tab(s). The idea was rejected but maybe it is time to reconsider?

TIA

Model: RN526X|ReadyNAS 526X – 6 Bays with up to 60TB total storage
Message 3 of 6
schumaku
Guru

@Alein wrote:

1.In performance I can see non-existing old disk.

Performance does show volumes, not disks. Classic problem when using a NAS as a disk server. The ReadyNAS design might keep volume information internally, and does not remove the labeled data when adding a new volume, without properly removing the old one. Did yiu had the old (I assume single disk) volumes properly removed before adding nw storage blocks and adding yet another new volume?

@Alein wrote:

2.My device become now a WIFI AP or router 🙂

Explain what you see, experience ....

@hmuessig wrote:

When adding a new drive to expand a volume the web interface says "resyncing" while the LCD display on the NAS says "Reshaping".

Agree, not nice.

@hmuessig wrote:

When moving from page to page within the web interface frequently the new page does not refresh. For example, after copying 500GB of data to the drive tand then clicking on the volume and share pages the information is not updated until you tap the "refresh" button.

That's how it is since day one of OS 6 - no internal view is updated automatically. That's why they have the odd [Refresh] button all over.

@hmuessig wrote:

It also happened when I cleared the logs and then was perplexed that the counts at the bottom of the page remained(!) including some critical (red) ones. A page refresh was needed.

In my opinion, clearing logs and audit trails is a bad way of systems management - that's why this bug [there are some overview counters shown below right along with the paging navigation] is not becoming visible very often.

@hmuessig wrote:

More seriously, the NAS name is not reliably displayed on the browser window tab. I've not been able to reliably and repeatedly reproduce this but it continues to happen (and is a big pain (!!) 'cause I'm working with 3 NASs right now).

The hostnames show up rock solid here (and that was my proposal during the early field test of OS 6 - I would have made a lot of noise if it would not shown reliably).

@hmuessig wrote:

FWIW last year I suggested that NetGear add the NAS name to all the screens and not rely on the browser to display it on its tab(s). The idea was rejected but maybe it is time to reconsider?

Can't see why, this should not be required - as is said above it's rock solid:

Hostnames ReadyNAS OS 6.10.1.PNG

Do you have a bigger selection of Apps installed on your ReadyNAS?

Message 4 of 6
hmuessig
Luminary

Replying to schumaku . . .

(Politely) I would not have posted the NAS name "bug" along with a screenshot if it was not a recurring problem on the 3 NASs I have running 6.10.1. It continues to occur on both Windows and Mac machines though I've not been able to isolate the cause and get it to repeat reliably. I used to be a beta testor in my younger days for Microsoft and others  . . .  and managed sw and interface designers so I'm confident this is not a phigment of my imagination.

When I made the suggestion last year I pointed out that relying on an external application (a browser) to display the NAS name was sloppy and lazy.

It also is not good interface design because, depending on how many different NASs one is working on at one time, the NAS name can be anywhere along the row of tabs . . . 

Far better to that NetGear control the entire user experience and display the NAS name in a standard, consistent location across all the screens in the OS interface.

Message 5 of 6
schumaku
Guru

@hmuessig wrote:

I would not have posted the NAS name "bug" along with a screenshot if it was not a recurring problem on the 3 NASs I have running 6.10.1.

Based on some 120+ ReadyNAS (and similar hundreds of QNAP QTS systems) under management, I can't follow you - the hostname does show reliable in the tabs of Chrome, Safari, or Firefox. No matter if the RN are on the same LAN, or way out in field installations, reachable over weak mobile Internet connections only. Similar, leading Web application environments show these details in the page title - that's what is shown in the tab. Look at the complete Google Web environment, look at the Microsoft Office 365 Web environment, ...

@hmuessig wrote:

When I made the suggestion last year I pointed out that relying on an external application (a browser) to display the NAS name was sloppy and lazy.

Nonsense alert! The complete user interface is Web based - so I fail to see anything sloppy and lazy here: Everything you see IS rendered on a browser application - and it's not made by Netgear. Also the Tabs are showing content which is provided as part of the standard compliant Web code. No non-standard "dependency" on an App as you draw it at all.

@hmuessig wrote:

It also is not good interface design because, depending on how many different NASs one is working on at one time, the NAS name can be anywhere along the row of tabs . . . 

If the name is not in the Tab it's not visible - unless the tab is selected and in the front. Promoting this does completely against modern browser design...

@hmuessig wrote:

Far better to that NetGear control the entire user experience and display the NAS name in a standard, consistent location across all the screens in the OS interface.

You can't see this nowhere if having bunches of tabs active at the same time then - not even in the title. There must be however some reasons why the ReadyNAS names are not properly shown and rendred on your ReadyNAS. Pretty much convinced it's related to some of the (many) garbage Apps which are around (and Netgear's poor ReadyNAS App development and integration environment).

Again: I don't agree about a generic bug - much more a specific issue in your environment and ReadyNAS set-up.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements