× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

FTP server setup for internal and external access.

edward_rickus
Aspirant

FTP server setup for internal and external access.

Good day!
I'm using RN314 with 6.1.6 OS. (will upgrade after new year) We use it as an internal File Sharing server. We do not use Active Directory. There are public shares with anonymous access enabled that all users share. No accounts set up on the NAS, just admin. All users are on Win7 and have a network drive mapped to the shares being used by all users.

We now want to start using FTP service and make some selected files available externally via internet.
I want to make a folder(s) available internally where we can drop files into, and then have a external user log into the FTP site and get the files we've shared for them. The external user will also need to be able to put files to the FTP site.
I can't seem to sort this out.
I've setup the service and adjusted my router to forward the appropriate ports to the NAS. On the NAS, I've enabled FTP and created an account, 'FTP_USER'. Externally, using Filezilla or command prompt FTP or IE I can connect to the NAS FTP site and put/get files, great!

Whats not great is that internally I can't see the 'FTP_USER' folder to either drop or pickup files. I can't see it with Windows explorer or through NAS OS Share Browse. Really want to access via Windows Explorer. 'FTP_USER' can navigate the file structure and access any other folders/shares that have FTP access enabled. This is not good.
I've also enabled FTP Server Log Transfers to capture FTP file transfer events, but nothing was recorded when I put files from an external connection.

Lastly, for now, how can I update the FTP Server Welcome message?

Can you help me with this please.
thanks, ed.
Message 1 of 3
StephenB
Guru

Re: FTP server setup for internal and external access.

It sounds like you are using the FTP_USER home share. To access that folder from Windows Explorer you need to use the FTP_USER credentials. From the admin UI, you can find the folder under "home".

If FTP_USER is in its own group, you should be able to set up the other shares that use FTP to not allow access to that group.

Not sure how to change the FTP server welcome message, or if the FTP file transfer log issue has been fixed since 6.1.6.
Message 2 of 3
totatoo
Aspirant

Re: FTP server setup for internal and external access.

Thanks for sharing the info. Very Useful.
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements