× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Files "disappearing" from networked access

Tasha_S
Aspirant

Files "disappearing" from networked access

Our users map network drives to our nas, which is also backed up to the cloud using Egnyte.  All users are on Windows 10 machines and the firmware on the nas is up to date.  Firmware 6.9.4

At least one user (I'm guessing there are others that just haven't run into this just yet) finds that she can open and read files no problem and she will still see them but if she makes changes and saves them then sometimes the file "disappears".  Sure enough I open file explorer and the file isn't there.  If I log into the nas via web browser/IP then I can see the file is there and it's even backed up in Egnyte.  She says sometimes the files show up again but we've found an instance where there are many many files that are no longer visible.

Is this a known issue, and is there a solution?

Model: RN31400|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4-Bay
Message 1 of 15

Accepted Solutions
Tasha_S
Aspirant

Re: Files "disappearing" from networked access

I will try that if I need to but so far what I've found is that the "missing" files are marked as hidden files and setting file explorer view settings to show hidden files makes them visible again.  My tech guy tells me the last Windows update was full of issues and he's looking through that stuff to see if there is anything related.  For now, thank you very much for your help and I'll remember to try resetting permissions as well.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 15

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

When you check the share with File Explorer, are you doing that from her machine?  If you are, you might try checking it on a different PC.

Message 2 of 15
Tasha_S
Aspirant

I'm not sure what you mean by "check the share" but from other PCs the files are visible in file explorer

Message 3 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@Tasha_S wrote:

I'm not sure what you mean by "check the share" but from other PCs the files are visible in file explorer

"Check the share" means look at the shared folder in file explorer, and see if the files are there are not.

When a file disappears, did you try right-clicking on the file explorer pane and choosing refresh from the context menu?  When you do that, does the file re-appear?

Message 4 of 15
Tasha_S
Aspirant

I've just tried that and the files do no re-appear

Message 5 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@Tasha_S wrote:

I've just tried that and the files do no re-appear

That's very strange.

I'd try resetting the file permissions on the share.

Go into the share page in the web ui, click on the share settings wheel, and choose "settings".

Then click on "File Access".  You'll see a "RESET" control on the left.  Click on that, and then click on "reset permissions".

The operation happens in the background, there will be a notification when it completes.  It will also be logged.

Message 6 of 15
Tasha_S
Aspirant

I will try that if I need to but so far what I've found is that the "missing" files are marked as hidden files and setting file explorer view settings to show hidden files makes them visible again.  My tech guy tells me the last Windows update was full of issues and he's looking through that stuff to see if there is anything related.  For now, thank you very much for your help and I'll remember to try resetting permissions as well.

Message 7 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@Tasha_S wrote:

the "missing" files are marked as hidden files

That of course explains it!
Message 8 of 15
Tasha_S
Aspirant

Well, the question now is what is marking them as hidden but alas, that fire doth burn less brightly than others in my midst.

Message 9 of 15
bedlam1
Prodigy

Great response.........where are you located @Tasha_S (just so I know)

Message 10 of 15
Tasha_S
Aspirant

I'm in Vancouver, BC, Canada

Message 11 of 15
bedlam1
Prodigy

Nice.... never been, have been to Toronto, Niagra, Ottowa and Montreal which I enjoyed. 

Have always wanted to do the Rockies rail trip.

I am near York, North Yorkshire, United Kingdom

Message 12 of 15
Tasha_S
Aspirant

Lovely!  I have yet to cross the pond but one of these days I'll manage it.  The Rockies are stunning, definitely worth a train trip.  Rocky Mountaineer offers trips that are very popular with locals and tourists alike.  

Message 13 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@Tasha_S wrote:

I'm in Vancouver, BC, Canada

I've been there a few times, it's a great city. I'm in Boston, MA myself.

Message 14 of 15
Tasha_S
Aspirant

Thank you, Boston is my favourite city in the eastern US, it's very pretty.  A friend of mine is bicoastal between there and here and she loves it.   I'd make a remark about your hockey team but she who lives in a glass house should not throw stones!

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements