× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Firmware update 6.9.0 broke my backup

Edouard
Tutor

Firmware update 6.9.0 broke my backup

After the last update (6.9.0) my automatic backup using Windows/NAS (timestamp) start, do the backup but get stuck to "in progress".

In the log file it say the the operation as been successful but in the console it say that it is in progress. Any future scheduled backup cannot start as it is not finish.

Is there a way to restore the previous firmware?

Model: RN10200|ReadyNAS 100 Series 2- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 22
Kimera
Guide

Re: Firmware update 6.9.0 broke my backup

To summarize: I think - if the issue is the same - it is already subject of active discussion here, here, here and here too.

Message 2 of 22
cpu8088
Virtuoso

with so many complaints a fix should be available now for download

i reverted back to 6.8.1 but hate the pop up notification to upgrade to 6.9.0 everytime i get to the desktop ui

Message 3 of 22
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

We are looking into this. We've already made some changes in our development of 6.9.1, but more may be needed.

We don't recommend downgrading from 6.9.0. In a major update we do make some changes that are not designed to be rolled back.

Once 6.10.0 is released 6.9 will enter LTS mode and will only receive bug fixes and security updates.

Message 4 of 22
Sandshark
Sensei

Given the number of problems reported, I can't help but wonder why 6.9.0 is still being pushed out, allowing it to affect more users.

Message 5 of 22
Tinyhorns
Apprentice

I totaly agree, they should remove it and wait for a fix.

// T

Message 6 of 22
Kimera
Guide

@mdgm wrote:

We are looking into this. We've already made some changes in our development of 6.9.1, but more may be needed.

Hello, do you mean that, before releasing ReadyNAS OS 6.9.1 (which should contain a fix for this annoying issue), development/support team is waiting to collect and solve more other issues or (with that "more may be needed") are you telling us that development/support team will require more details and feedbacks with regard to this specific issue to provide a timely solution?

Changes in ReadyNAS OS 6.9.1 could mean that you're re-scheduling its release date or the priority of some bugs fixing due this issue...or what else?

@mdgm wrote:

We don't recommend downgrading from 6.9.0. In a major update we do make some changes that are not designed to be rolled back.

Once 6.10.0 is released 6.9 will enter LTS mode and will only receive bug fixes and security updates.

I agree with you about what Netgear recommends or not.

But, about your subsequent statement: should it mean that ReadyNAS OS 6.9.1 (supposedly the version with the fix we're now expecting) will be released once ReadyNAS OS 6.9 will enter into its LTS status - receiving bug fixes and security updates - and not before? so not before the release of next ReadyNAS OS 6.10.0? ...just trying to understand what options there are...thanks!

Message 7 of 22
stevenestrada
Aspirant

>> We are looking into this.

We don't recommend downgrading from 6.9.0.<<

Can you post a workaround?

Message 8 of 22
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Whilst issues may appear to be the same to you we do find that issues can turn out to be different for different users requiring separate fixes. So when we release a 6.9.1 beta it's possible that it may fix backup issues for some users and not others. Some of the backup issues reported so far are using 3rd party backup software and some are for using ReadyNAS backup jobs. We cannot assume that a fix for one issue will fix both.

6.9 will be the normal latest stable series till it enters LTS mode once 6.10.0 comes out. The latest stable series gets bug fixes and security updates, but may also get new features and other enhancements. If you look at past history there's normally at least one minor release before we release a major update and there can be more. Minor updates for the latest stable series are developed concurrently with the next stable series.

The comment about LTS series was meant to show that once 6.9 enters LTS mode if you select the LTS update channel you'd be prompted for further 6.9.x updates not 6.10 etc.

Message 9 of 22
Kimera
Guide

Hello @mdgm-ntgr, understood. In any case we should wait for ReadyNAS OS 6.9.1 and hoping it fixes the issues our NAS units are experiencing (as reported, in my case, only Backup Jobs managed by ReadyNAS involving external Soure SMB Shares and internal Destination SMB Shares show the backup issue...all other backup jobs involving the NAS SMB Shares as a source and an USB3 DAS disk directly connected to it aren't affected and are working flawlessly...which is somwhat strange...as you wrote every case is specific).

Message 10 of 22
Kimera
Guide

Better to follow, as example, this other related thread. Netgear should have it fixed actually (if you want for speed up the hot-fixing process perform a ReadyNAS reboot and wait at least 15 or 20' after that, then test affected ReadyNAS affected Backup Jobs by manually starting them...I did that and it worked in my specific case/scenario).

Message 11 of 22
Jake2
Aspirant

Firmware update 6.9.0

Hello all,

I am about to upgrade my NAS to 6.9.0, but I am not too sure I should upgrade the NAS. Since there are many issues on the backup. 

I am running the NAS on the local network. I use the NAS daily to access files and videos. And I use Netgear backup system to backup all files and videos to the external storage.

Is this OK for me to upgrade?

Model: RN31442E|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4-Bay
Message 12 of 22
Kimera
Guide

Re: Firmware update 6.9.0

If you are referring to latest discussed Backup Jobs issue(s) - see recent Threads - that (those) reported issue(s) was (were) solved with the release of Hot Fix 3 and 4 (6.9.0-3 and 6.9.0-4) so if you are going to update your ReadyNAS OS to ReadyNAS OS 6.9.0 it's likely that your unit will receive the 6.9.0 plus whatever Hot Fixes are there currently...if you don't trust this (automatic Hot Fix patching) mechanism...just wait a week and 6.9.1 should be released, AFAIK it should include HFs released up to now for 6.9.0 plus, for sure, other things.

Message 13 of 22
Jake2
Aspirant

Firmware update 6.9.0 on Netgear NAS314

Hello all, 

I have a Netgear NAS314 and would like to upgrade the firmware to 6.9.0. Since there are many people having an issue with the backup, I am afraid to upgrade. Can anyone provide advice, please?

I am using the Netgear backup system to the external HD storage and it does not connect to any cloud-backups.

Message 14 of 22
Jake2
Aspirant

Firmware update 6.9.0 on Netgear NAS314

Hello all, 

I have a Netgear NAS314 and would like to upgrade the firmware to 6.9.0. Since there are many people having an issue with the backup, I am afraid to upgrade. Can anyone provide advice, please?

I am using the Netgear backup system to the external HD storage and it does not connect to any cloud-backups.

Message 15 of 22
StephenB
Guru

Re: Firmware update 6.9.0 on Netgear NAS314

If you are using NIC bonding then you might want to either use 6.9.1 beta or wait for 6.9.1 to be released.

There is a hot-fix that solves the CIFS/SMB backup problem - it should be automatically installed if you reboot once more after the firmware update, and wait about 15 minutes or so.

Message 16 of 22
Jake2
Aspirant

Hello StephenB, 

Yes I am using NIC Bonding.

When will the firmware 6.9.1 release? As I am still in the old firmware, I desperately need to upgrade them ASAP. 

Message 17 of 22
Jake2
Aspirant

Hello StephenB, 

Yes I am using NIC Bonding.

When will the firmware 6.9.1 release? As I am still in the old firmware, I desperately need to upgrade them ASAP. 

Message 18 of 22
StephenB
Guru

I suggest temporarily dropping the bonding - then you can simply install 6.9.0.  After that completes, you can try re-establishing the bond.

Message 19 of 22
brianschilton
Aspirant

Running 6.9.1 firmware. Two days while still running 6.9.0 the system began sticking at boot up, showing "Failed to boot from USB" even though I was not attempting to boot from USB, but instead booting normally according to scheduled power up/down settings. By unplugging and leaving unplugged for a few minutes, I was able to get it to boot normally and update to 6.9.1. The "Failed to boot from USB" error did not recur this morning when the unit automatically booted up according to automated power setting, but I am getting an endless (3 hours and counting) "Backup button job is in progress" message, even though no backup job is scheduled or should be running. Upon manually restarting the system from the admin page, I was dropped from the admin page and the unit once again returned to the "Failed to boot from USB" status. The only way to get beyond that failure was to manualy unplug the power and wait 15 seconds before plugging back in (once I plugged back in within 2 seconds and the failed status resumed immediately). I've read through this, and other related, threads that are less than three years old. I have not used the backup button, and when manually rebooting checked to make sure it was not stuck and otherwise pressing in/out correctly. This unit has run flawlessly since February 2014. I would say there was a software error relating to the backup button in 6.9.0, and 6.9.1 has not successfully corrected that error. Since the unit otherwise seems to run correctly, and I have access to the data on it with no apparent problems, I'm going to stick with the status quo. I would appreciate, though, if Netgear could get this problem corrected quickly, since it has clearly been identified by a number of users on these pages, and take more care to test the updates before rolling out in the future. Clearly this was a 6.9.0 issue that 6.9.1 was meant to correct, but instead only made it worse.

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 20 of 22
brianschilton
Aspirant

Re: Firmware update 6.9.0

6.9.1 did NOT solve this issue -- for my system it created the issue, which had not existed for me when running 6.9.1.

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 21 of 22
StephenB
Guru

"failed to boot from USB" is a very different issue, and probably will need help from Netgear to diagnose.  If it happens again (and if you are under warranty) you might consider a warranty exchange.

Message 22 of 22
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 21 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 10 in conversation
Announcements