× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Issue... 'Date modified' set to a future date!

Earl0101
Aspirant

Issue... 'Date modified' set to a future date!

I'm running a ReadyNAS Pro 6 with firmware version 4.2.31.  Recently I upgraded all the disks from 2 GB WD40EFRX to 4GB WD40EFRX.  To get the full size and eliminate an expansion error I laboriously copied all the files for each share to another USB drive, performed a full factory reset, and copied all the files back. I did this with no errors.

I then used created backup jobs and using rsync and partially copied the main shares to my backup readyNAS NVX (loaded with 4 3GB WD40EFRX drives). The first share completed this 16-October.

Today I look at the modification dates of all the files on the PRO 6 and they are sent to some future date. This appears uniformly across all the shares. However the files copied to the NVX all appear to have the correct date (as do the files on the USB drive).

Any thoughts on what is happening? At first I thought rsync was changing dates as it copied but there are other shares that rsync did not touch that have the same issue.

This is not one or two files – it is the whole ReadyNAS Pro 6 device.

Message 1 of 9
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: Issue... 'Date modified' set to a future date!

It certainly sounds like the date on your NAS is wrong.  What NNTP server are you using and what date does the NAS show in the latest log entries?

Message 2 of 9
Earl0101
Aspirant

NTP option is set to

server1 : time-a.netgear.com

server 2: time-c.netgear.com

I thought of this but shouldn't the date be set to the file copied over?  And then there is the bizarre situation where the dates were correct (as captured by the rsync copy). What possibly could cause all the dates to get set wrong. I should add that both the ‘date modified’ and the ‘date created’ are reset. Generally they are around the year 2029-2033. As an example a file with an original date of Nov 27, 2011 6:34AM is reset to Sep 13, 2027, 4:34PM. I’m interfacing with a mac via AFP.

I note there is a feature in Share advanced options that can ‘adjust the timestamps of the contents of the share.’ But I have not used this – something on the order of 16 years is probably more minutes than can be adjusted. Besides there seems to be something more fundamental going on here.

Help! I’ve done a lot of work on my files since the last Rsync and really want to fix this.

Message 3 of 9
Earl0101
Aspirant

OK I've got some more troubleshooting data.  Turns out the NTP server box was not checked.  I checked it and hit apply but that did not fix the problem.  

Since I didn’t changes this I go to the logs... see below.  As you can see the clock seems to have disengaged after the 2nd backup job finished. I now recall that somewhere in the middle of the 3rd backup job there was a power outage in the night. I woke up the following morning to the UPS ringing (didn’t hear when it went off). Both ReadyNAS devices were shut down. I reset the UPS and restarted the NAS and restarted the backup job manually. Apparently when the NAS was turned on the clock was reset…

Still confused. Why would the system clock change already existing time stamps on files? The files in shares 1 & 2 which did successfully get backed up were also changed and they were copied with the correct clock…  Just doen't make sense.

Help.

Thu Jan 3 04:14:42 PST 2002

The on-line filesystem consistency check completed without errors for Volume C.

Thu Jan 3 04:00:03 PST 2002

The on-line filesystem consistency check has started for Volume C.

Thu Jan 3 01:03:32 PST 2002

Backup job successfully saved.

Thu Jan 3 01:00:28 PST 2002

System is up.

Thu Jan 3 00:59:22 PST 2002

Job cancelled. [Job 003]

Thu Jan 3 00:58:59 PST 2002

Rebooting device...

Thu Jan 3 00:58:58 PST 2002

Please close this browser session and use RAIDar to reconnect to the device. System rebooting...

Thu Jan 3 00:58:20 PST 2002

System clock has been updated.

Wed Jan 2 22:24:29 PST 2002

Backup started. [Job 003]

Mon Dec 31 16:01:37 PST 2001

System is up.

Tue Oct 17 15:47:40 PDT 2017

Backup finished. [Job 002]

Mon Oct 16 20:08:07 PDT 2017

Backup finished. [Job 001]

Sun Oct 15 17:20:55 PDT 2017

System is up.

Sun Oct 15 17:19:27 PDT 2017

Rebooting device...

Sun Oct 15 17:19:27 PDT 2017

Please close this browser session and use RAIDar to reconnect to the device. System rebooting...

Message 4 of 9
Sandshark
Sensei

Even more strange is that your NAS think's it's in the past, not the future, yet the dates are in the future.  Is the difference in dates on the NAS the same as the difference in dates on the files WRT the proper date?  Here is what I think might be happening:  The NAS thinks it's in the past, and has files that are dated in the future WRT it's clock.  Your PC has the right date and somewhere in the SMB process the time offset in the NAS gets added to the proper date.  Once you get the date right on your NAS, I think things might be right, at least for files copied when the time was correct.

You can go in and manually change the date/time, or you can try another NNTP server.  It also sounds like the button cell on your NAS is dead, so time is not preserved through a power down.

Message 5 of 9
Earl0101
Aspirant

Yep - very strange behavior indeed.

Good news.

After rebooting the Pro 6 it appears the dates are coming up correct now!

Bad News is that I deleted and recreated the first two shares to fix the dates from the source backup.  It will take 2-3 days to copy everything back to the pro 6 again.

Still doen't make sense that the server time is somehow used to report individual file times via ATP.

Do you have a link on how to replace the button cell on the pro 6?

Earl

Message 6 of 9
StephenB
Guru

Message 7 of 9
Sandshark
Sensei

If you remove the left side (looking from the front), it will be obvious.  It's a CR2032 3V button cell.

Message 8 of 9
Earl0101
Aspirant

Thanks.  Battery replaced.  Hopefully this won't happen again!

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements