× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Issues since 6.4.0 upgrade on RN516

bubu
Aspirant

Issues since 6.4.0 upgrade on RN516

Hi

I have big issues since upgrade in 6.4.0 on my RN516 :

- External USB if connect freeze NAS on startup

- Root disk space is 90%

- can't unistall application

then really not stability since 6,4,0 Smiley triste

need help or new update.

Thank you 🙂

Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Issues since 6.4.0 upgrade on RN516

Message 5 of 11

All Replies
cpu8088
Virtuoso

if u have backup then do a factory reset

disable snapshots

Message 2 of 11
bubu
Aspirant

Do to last problem I do not have recent backup 😞

Message 3 of 11
bubu
Aspirant

And since this morning I reboot my NAS it is not possible to access it (admin, smb or ssh) 😞

all usb devices are not connected 😞

very crasy this new firmware 😞

Message 4 of 11
StephenB
Guru

Contact support

Message 5 of 11
RNASguy
Luminary

Yes, me too.  Yesterday (10/17/15) I did, via front view, an update to 6.4.0 on my two 516 boxes.  One came back OK, the other just sat there for 10 hrs saying Booting... on the panel.

Of course I had no front view access, but RAIDar saw the box, and reported management off line.  Diag via Raidar showed no problems.  Folder shares could be seen via WIn file explorer, but could not write or read any data off the box.  Could not resart via RAIDar, could not restart via front panel switch, finially (Painfully) I just killed the power to the box.

Powered back up into the boot menu, and enabled the tech support option

Currently working with support, and will report back here when we know more.

One thing of note on the 6.4.0 update, from the release notes:

Deployment Notes / Limitations:

(snipped)

8: When initially upgrading your ReadyNAS to 6.4.0, a quota scan takes place during boot. This may cause the unit to take some time to do a scan, depending on your volume usage. Allow some time when restarting your ReadyNAS for the first time after upgrading.

bj

PS: one other point.  When it sat there stuck in Booting... and I could not get it to respond to restart, the drive lights were all blue and steady.  The fact that there was no drive activity indicated to me that in spite of there being 14TB of stuff on the thing, it was not doing the afore mentioned quota scan. 

Message 6 of 11
bubu
Aspirant

Hi

I contacted Netgear Support : they solved my problems on RN516 since 6.4.0 update. 🙂

Then do the same contact them 🙂

Message 7 of 11
RNASguy
Luminary

Glad it worked out for you.

But, what did they do to fix your box.

bc

Message 8 of 11
Netrage2
Aspirant

Lots of people with this issue but nobody posting how the problem is resolved.

Worried that I will lose a chunk of my data as it started doing this half way through my weekly backup.

Message 9 of 11
bubu
Aspirant

Hi all

I didn't see what support done but it was an issue for me root folder more 90% and also corrupt config

Then clean all of them and I needed to config again services and backup but never loose data 😉

Message 10 of 11
Netrage2
Aspirant

Update:

Overnight the NAS seemed to complete the reprocess of the snapshots and the NAS let me access it fully this morning. I have since removed all existing snapshots and stopped any new ones from being created.

Looking at the logs, the event that keeps repeating for the time period that the NAS was unusable is related to reprocessing of the snapshots so it looks like any other request to the NAS be it for data access, admin access or even for it to reboot was ignored due to the overloaded work that the firware update had started. Now that work is finished the NAS seems to be usable again.

The only advice I can give to others with the same issue is to try and remove any existing snapshots, stop new ones being created and leave the NAS on 24/7 until it becomes stable.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements