× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Moving HDD from NAS to PC?

MysteryMan99
Aspirant

Moving HDD from NAS to PC?

I have been using a ReadyNAS Duo for a few years and I have 4 shares on it, one of which is used for "MyDocuments" on PCs.

I am now in a position that I only need one PC and it makes sense to get rid of ReadyNAS and just use disks on PC.

So, if I take the HDD out of ReadyNAS and install in PC will I still be able to access the files?

I am guessing I will need to do something to create local folders for the new MyDocuments area and point at that somehow.

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Moving HDD from NAS to PC?

@MysteryMan99 wrote:

So, if I take the HDD out of ReadyNAS and install in PC will I still be able to access the files?

No.  Your duo uses the ext file system, and windows can't read that.  You'll need to copy off the data.  Copying over a (wired) network is fastest, but you can copy (rather slowly) to an NTFS formatted USB drive if you connect to the NAS USB port.

You will of course need to reconfigure the windows documents library not to use the NAS.  Do you remember how you set that up?

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@MysteryMan99 wrote:

No.  Your duo uses the ext file system, and windows can't read that.  You'll need to copy off the data.  Copying over a (wired) network is fastest, but you can copy (rather slowly) to an NTFS formatted USB drive if you connect to the NAS USB port.

You will of course need to reconfigure the windows documents library not to use the NAS.  Do you remember how you set that up?

Message 2 of 4
MysteryMan99
Aspirant

Thanks for reply and information.

I should be able to use a spare disk I have to do the copying back and to.

No, I don't recall how I set up the shares - that's the next little job!!!!!

Message 3 of 4
NJZGuy
Aspirant

Isn't there open-source software or a driver available that will allow a ReadyNAS disk that was part of an XRAID array, to be mounted as a regular drive in

Windows so that files can be copied off of it?

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements