× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAID sync finished on volume C. The array is still in degraded mode, however. This can be caused b

Tauro
Aspirant

RAID sync finished on volume C. The array is still in degraded mode, however. This can be caused b

ReadyNAS Duo V2 RND20000-200AJS Model RND-2B SN 2UM325EV000F9

Previously I had 2 x 2TB drives installed. All working fine RAID leverl XRAID2. 

Seagate NAS HDD ST2000VN000 2TB

WD Black 2003FZEX  2TB

Removed the Seagate and installed WD Red 4TB NAS WD40EFRX NX HA500 

RAID sync completed and was fully redundant.

Recently purchased another WD Red 4TB NAS WD40EFRX NX HA500.

Installed in bay 2.

Sync completed with the following email sent.

RAID sync finished on volume C.  The array is still in degraded mode, however.  This can be caused by a disk sync failure or failed disks in a multi-parity disk array.

I have since powered down the NAS, removed the drive, checked for errors. No errors.

Whenever I boot the NAS it always rebuilds.

Reinstalled drive. Powered up. Same message. Also tried swapping the drive in to different bays.

Also in the RAIDar app after launching I see drive is marked as spare.

When I log in to the NAS via web app it still shows the original 2TB volume 

See screen cap and logs attached.

Model: RND2000v2|ReadyNAS Duo v2 Chassis only
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: RAID sync finished on volume C. The array is still in degraded mode, however. This can be caus

@Tauro wrote:

This has gone from bad to worse. Tried factory reset with new disks installed. 

1. Used paperclip method described here RND2000NAS Duo Factory reset 

First of all, if the disks were blank there is no need for a paperclip.  It will detect that, and do a fresh factory install.

Second, you used a guide for the Duo v1, not the v2.  The correct instructions are on pages 16-17 here: https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RND2110/ReadyNAS_Duov2_NV+v2_HW_en_23-Mar-12.pdf

@Tauro wrote:

Surely someone has a suggestion I have not tried?

Try removing the disks and power up again.  Then see what status RAIDar gives you. https://kb.netgear.com/20684/ReadyNAS-Downloads

I also suggest testing the new disks with vendor tools in a Windows PC - lifeguard for Western Digital; seatools for Seagate.  Run the full long generic test.  Unformat them while you are at it (either with the Windows disk manager, or by doing the erase test in the vendor tools).  After that, try inserting only one of the disks in to the Duo, and power it up.  It should do a factory install (again no paper clip needed).  Using only one disk will be quicker, because no RAID sync is involved.  Once you get access again, you can hot-insert the second disk.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 7

All Replies
Tauro
Aspirant

Re: RAID sync finished on volume C. The array is still in degraded mode, however. This can be caus

Update.

I checked the first disk in a dock and it only showed 2TB and was MBR.

Used diskpart to clear the volume and convert to GPT. THe disk showed up as not initialsed in disk management.

Installed back in to the NAS and powered up, opened RAIDar app and they now both show as 3726GB and all lights are green.

New issue now is I cannot access the folders via a network path. They are still present in settings shares but under volumes there is nothing present and the light for volumes is darkened out.. Also unable to access via file explorer in Windows 10 OS. 

I do get the prompt to enter credentials but this still fails. Also cannot create a new folder under shares. Keeps saying the name in not valid and I need to use alpha numeric characters for the share name. Thinking I may have to reset this to facotry or recreate a new volume and shared folders.

Any suggestions is apprecited.

Message 2 of 7
Tauro
Aspirant

Device is not detected from RAIDar. Power light on, activity light flickering and disks lights on solid.

Tried holding in power button. No result.

Only way to power off was to pull power cord.

Powered back up. Can now log in but all I get are error boxes when I attempt something. I am thinking this box is hosed.

When I first login dashboard boxes are shown but not populated and below box appears "Device is Offline" but I can still navigate most areas.

Before I did anything I backed up the system configuration data but of course when I try to restore that I get ERROR_SERV_UNREC

Attempted factory reset from Dashboard > Settings > update panel. Fails with SYSTEM_UPDATE_DEFAULT_FAIL

When I attempt to shutdown or restart I get DEVICE_IN_REBOOT_ERROR

Luckly I downloaded the logs beforehand. When I checked them it shows the old configuration with old Seagate 2TB(1.8) disks as configured. 

Not sure what else to do now. Surely someone has a suggestion I have not tried?

Perhaps I need to clear the CMOS or something. What to do?

Model: RND2000|ReadyNAS Duo Chassis only
Message 3 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@Tauro wrote:

First of all, if the disks were blank there is no need for a paperclip.  It will detect that, and do a fresh factory install.

Second, you used a guide for the Duo v1, not the v2.  The correct instructions are on pages 16-17 here: https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RND2110/ReadyNAS_Duov2_NV+v2_HW_en_23-Mar-12.pdf

@Tauro wrote:

Surely someone has a suggestion I have not tried?

Try removing the disks and power up again.  Then see what status RAIDar gives you. https://kb.netgear.com/20684/ReadyNAS-Downloads

I also suggest testing the new disks with vendor tools in a Windows PC - lifeguard for Western Digital; seatools for Seagate.  Run the full long generic test.  Unformat them while you are at it (either with the Windows disk manager, or by doing the erase test in the vendor tools).  After that, try inserting only one of the disks in to the Duo, and power it up.  It should do a factory install (again no paper clip needed).  Using only one disk will be quicker, because no RAID sync is involved.  Once you get access again, you can hot-insert the second disk.

Message 4 of 7
Sandshark
Sensei

The DuoV2, unlike every other ReadyNAS I have experience with, does not shut down when you hold in the power button, so that's normal.  Follow what @StephenB has outlined and report back so we can determine if it looks like you have something more severely wrong with your NAS than just the volume.

Message 5 of 7
Tauro
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply,

The disks are blank and I checked them both on a Windows PC. Scanned for errors no errors. Although I have not done an exstensive test with vendour software.  One disk is brand new the other used. I ran diskpart on the used disk and cleaned. Converted to GPT.  Suspecting it may be the disk(s) as the used one shows total 1.8TB instead of 3.6. Although detected as 3876GB in raidar when in NAS.

I installed the original 2 x 2TB drives and the NAS booted up as normal and I can access the dashboard and settings as it was originally although still no volumes.

Booted up with no disks and raidar looks normal. Information says no disks. Unable to access dasboard.

Installed 1 disk (new) and booted. Raidar says corrupt root. I rebooted and set factory. Now have access with one disk. Raidar syas checking disk. Can now run setup. Should I install second disk now or after setup? I want to setup XRAID2.

Message 6 of 7
Tauro
Aspirant

Thanks for the support much appreciated.

All working fine now. 

Still don't kow why it would not expand to 3.8TB  first place though. That's when the trouble started.

First 4TB disk synced fine from the 2TB Seagate. Once that was complete I added the second 4TB disk and it completed rebuild. Was still at 1.8TB. Couldn't recall what I did last time so I did some reaseach and found all I had to do was reboot the NAS and it would detect the larger drives and expand, but that never worked. It seemed stuck on 1.8TB.

Worked fine when I upgraded from 1TB to 2TB a number of years ago. 

Also received the email from the NAS saying extra drive space available and will expand on next boot. But after another reboot it never did.

Seems this and using the wrong product manual for factory reset were the main reasons for the issue and not faulty disks after all.

Although reseting to factory from settings > update > perform factory default also failed. 

You can mark this as solved so it may help someone else.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements