× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN104: @mdgm-Benefits of factory reset under firmware v6.2.x

rn104
Star

RN104: @mdgm-Benefits of factory reset under firmware v6.2.x

I remember some time back that mdgm mentioned there were advantages to doing a full factory reset on an RN104 when upgrading to v6.2.x versus just a simple firmware upgrade. However the specific advantages that might accrue were not specified. I know one of the earlier upgrades, 6.16?, adjusted the file cluster sizes on the disks to improve stability/performance.

I've got two 104s. One running 6.17 with a single 3TB disk in it and the other still in the box (firmware unknown). I haven't done much with either waiting for the various OS glitches to be sorted, but now I need to set them both up and install more disks. I'm assuming I'll have to upgrade the new unit to v6.2.x. The operating unit has been working trouble free under 6.17 but if I have to upgrade that too then I'd rather do it now with only one disks worth of data to backup and transfer, as a factory reset will delete everything on the unit.

Could you list the specific changes that a factory reset under v6.2.x would make, and what the advantages of them would be compared to just doing a simple firmware upgrade and leaving the disk/system structure and data untouched?

Thanks.
Message 1 of 7
RX
Luminary
Luminary

Re: RN104: @mdgm-Benefits of factory reset under firmware v6

A factory reset after updating to the latest firmware gives you a clean setup on the latest firmware version. As well as some enhancements and bug fixes of the latest firmware version cannot be obtained without a factory reset.

Check more info about firmware v6.2.4 here: http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detai ... sion-6.2.4
Message 2 of 7
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Shouldn't need to factory reset. Any benefit of doing that should be marginal. However if you haven't yet put any data on the unit you may as well do one after the firmware upgrade.

I would wait for 6.2.5 and upgrade direct to that. We have a 6.2.5-RC1: http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=154&t=78866
Message 3 of 7
rn104
Star

I can't quote the specific post but I'm sure you replied to one guy having problems with his RN104 that a v6.2.x factory reset did something over and above a standard upgrade, on the lines of the file system changes in v6.15.

I'll do a factory reset on the new unit as there's nothing there to change. On the working unit I have the alternate options to just upgrade without reset or stay with 6.17 as it's been running without any of the problems people seem to be having on the newer firmwares. Downside is if I do have to upgraded/factory reset in future there'll be a lot more data to move around then.

The real question is whether there are improvements that would be worth backing up and restoring the data on the existing unit. I have no problem doing that if there are long term benefits, I was just wondering what those benefits might be as the reset option was specifically recommended.
Message 4 of 7
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

In 6.1.5 we changed a setting when creating new volumes. If you last did a factory reset on older firmware than that there certainly would be a benefit to backing up your data, doing a factory default (wipes all data, settings, everything) and restoring your data from backup. But, if you decide not to do a factory reset you'd still be better off on 6.2.5 than you would be on the firmware you are on now.

The change for creating new volumes in 6.1.5 improves stability. You can either backup your data, do the factory reset and restore your data from backup now; or backup your data and if you run into the problem that the factory reset would resolve at that point do the factory reset and restore from backup.
Message 5 of 7
rn104
Star

Ok, I think I found the original quote that was in the back of my mind in this thread - https://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=79267&p=446201&hilit=factory#p446201

Re: No space error on RN312
by mdgm » Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:36 am

Factory Reset is what you want. That will wipe the disks and return the NAS to how it was from the factory except using 6.2.2 (the firmware currently on the internal flash) rather than the one that was on the unit when it left the factory. Some improvements can only be obtained by doing a factory reset on new firmware. These benefits are not essential, but can be nice to have.

I assumed you were referring to improvements doing a factory reset under 6.2.2. which is why I was wondering what those specific benefits might be. In retrospect I suppose you could have been referring to the 6.15 file system changes, which I had already done.

I'd still be interested to know if there are any factory changes under 6.22 but I think I'll probably bite the bullet, copy off the data and do a reset anyway just to get a known clean start on the 6.2x firmware and hopefully avoid any lockup etc. issues.
Message 6 of 7
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The main benefit other than the filesystem improvements in 6.1.5 would be a clean setup on the new firmware.

Also on 6.2.x we have better default settings for shares. But you can get those for new shares you create with the default settings after updating to 6.2.x.
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements