× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN204, "Read-only file system", no error messages anywhere

phaze
Aspirant

RN204, "Read-only file system", no error messages anywhere

The NAS has been running fine for a long time, with 4 x 6TB WD Reds in RAID5, single volume.

light usage scenario, mainly as Acronis backup destination for around 10 users. No apps installed.

Out of nowhere, I'm getting Acronis errors, backups are NOT working. If I try to write a file or create a folder in a share in Windows, I don't have authorization.

In the NAS webGUI, evrything seems fine. No error messages oif any kind in the logs. I then updated the NAS from FW 6.8.x to latest 6.9.3, but the issue remains. Checked file permissions, everything is normal.

I also ran a Disk Test, no issues found.

Then i tried a drag-and-drop file copy to the NAS from the webGUI, and noticed a message when it was unable to copy the file: "Read-only file system".

This has happened from nowhere, what can I do?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Lorenzo

Model: RN204|ReadyNAS204
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: RN204, "Read-only file system", no error messages anywhere

Quotas aren't the issue in this case.

However I do see errors in the logs (e.g. in systemd-journal.log) about the filesystem being forced to read-only.

If the NAS is used for primary storage of important data I'd backup that data and verify that it's good, then do a factory default (wipes all data, settings, everything) and restore data from backup.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 8

All Replies
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Do you have lots of snapshots? Are quotas enabled on your data volume (note having this enabled at the volume level is necessary to support showing space usage for each share and a total for snapshots in the GUI, so quotas may be enabled on your data volume even if you haven't set any quotas on shares).

Can you provide your logs (see the Sending Logs link in my sig)?

Message 2 of 8
phaze
Aspirant

Hi,

Logs sent, thanks.

Snapshots are disabled on all shares, and a quota is set for only one share.

Everything on the webGUI, all settings and reported info, seem to be correct and normal.

Thanks again for your help.

Lorenzo

Message 3 of 8
phaze
Aspirant

Hi, sorry, yes: quotas is set to on at the volume level...

Message 4 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Quotas aren't the issue in this case.

However I do see errors in the logs (e.g. in systemd-journal.log) about the filesystem being forced to read-only.

If the NAS is used for primary storage of important data I'd backup that data and verify that it's good, then do a factory default (wipes all data, settings, everything) and restore data from backup.

Message 5 of 8
phaze
Aspirant

I was hopeing there was a way out of resetting everything, but not a big deal.... just a pain to setup all the shares again.

Do you think I could use a configuration backuip file, once I factory reset the unit?

Thanks for your time in helping me resolve the issue.

Best regards.

Lorenzo

Message 6 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@phaze wrote:

Do you think I could use a configuration backuip file, once I factory reset the unit?

Yes. In any case if you have a problem with restoring a config backup you could always do another factory reset and manually reconfigure.

So it's a good idea to take some screenshots of the configuration just in case.

Message 7 of 8
phaze
Aspirant

OK, good idea.

Cheers.

Lorenzo

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos