× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN214 full backup and restore

aks-2
Apprentice

RN214 full backup and restore

I have had multiple previous generations of ReadyNAS using OS4 and OS5, for full system backup i simply backed up "/c" to an external USB drive. This copied all shares and user home areas, restore was quite straightforward except user permissions had to be reset. Fine.

I now also have a RN214 running OS6 v6.10.3. I have a handful of users with home areas, and a bunch of shares. What I want to do is backup all data so that I can restore in the event of disaster or major upgrade/migration. Ideally to an external USB drive for safety reasons.

I read the backup FAQ, which well covers backups - but not restore (except one FAQ that copies from external USB back to the NAS, but that is for large data copy not full NAS restore). I searched the forums, and at page 15 I had got back to early 2019 and I gave up.. and used google to fine specific OS6 backup/restore.

I did find several articles:

Ok, I don't need to link every article, but after reading through quite a lot of information including a brief discussion in another thread a few months back, I am now quite concerned that deploying RN214 with OS6 is going to be difficult to backup/restore, or should I say seems to require multiple backup jobs (one per share and one per user home area), but please tell me if I've got this wrong - and I hope I have because this will be very inconvenient and clumsy.

Model: RN21400|ReadyNAS 214 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: RN214 full backup and restore

Are you planning to back up everything to a single USB drive?  Or do you need multiple USB drives for the correct capacity?

Personally I've done share-by-share backup to other NAS myself (though restore is a bit simpler for me because I don't use home folders).  But you can specify /data (or whatever your volume name is) as the local source or destination of a backup job.  So you can restore everything after you re-create the shares and home folders.

The challenge with bare-metal restore is re-creating the NAS home folders before you restore.  Accessing the NAS with each user's credentials is a pain (and of course you might not know their password).  But you can log in with ssh, and then use rnutil mkhomedir_helper username to create it.

I believe the general procedure for you to do a bare-metal restore would be to

1. do a factory install on the NAS
  2. reinstall the apps (needed before restoring the configuration)
  3. restore the NAS configuration
  4. recreate home folders with rnutil
  5. restore the data from the backup disk(s)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Are you planning to back up everything to a single USB drive?  Or do you need multiple USB drives for the correct capacity?

Personally I've done share-by-share backup to other NAS myself (though restore is a bit simpler for me because I don't use home folders).  But you can specify /data (or whatever your volume name is) as the local source or destination of a backup job.  So you can restore everything after you re-create the shares and home folders.

The challenge with bare-metal restore is re-creating the NAS home folders before you restore.  Accessing the NAS with each user's credentials is a pain (and of course you might not know their password).  But you can log in with ssh, and then use rnutil mkhomedir_helper username to create it.

I believe the general procedure for you to do a bare-metal restore would be to

1. do a factory install on the NAS
  2. reinstall the apps (needed before restoring the configuration)
  3. restore the NAS configuration
  4. recreate home folders with rnutil
  5. restore the data from the backup disk(s)

Message 2 of 4
aks-2
Apprentice

As of now, I have an 8TB Seagate external USB 3.0 drive, my data fits (using just over 6TB for a full backup).

I will play with /data (or my {volume name}, which is different) as you suggest, that bit wasn't obvious to me, looks like we have a potential solution. Actually, I just SSH'd into the RN214, and looked at the structure under the volume and this is exactly what I need. However, from the backup webif, selecting the volume folder only shows shares below that, home folders are shown separately at the top level, so I wasn't sure they'd be included in the backup of the volume. I'll now try backup and see what I get. I also note your comment on the user home folder creation issue (which I can workaround). Thanks for the tips.

I do believe full backup/restore is important to some users, the FAQ should capture this (perhaps Netgear can update the FAQ). We also need a simpler full restore process, if this can be fed back to the product team.

Message 3 of 4
aks-2
Apprentice

I confirm a backup of volume includes home folders (although not shown as included in the webif), and that's what I needed. This should be much easier than I feared, other than the user home folders issue mentioned above.

Thanks a lot!

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements