× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS 516 strange SMART Load Cycle Count on SEAGATE disks, not on Western Digital disks

whelanjh
Tutor

ReadyNAS 516 strange SMART Load Cycle Count on SEAGATE disks, not on Western Digital disks

I have been operating this ReadyNAS 516 in the home environment for the last 8 years. Operation is RAID-6 and has been reliable. Over the years i have been replacing failed disk drives with models listed on the compatibility chart, and now I find I have three Seagate drives and three Western Digital drives.

Looking at the health report for the individual drives, it seems the number of "Load Cycle Count" roughly matches the number of "Power Cycle Count" for the Western Digital drives ( this makes sense to me, if a load cycle is bringing the heads from park into operating position each spin-up).

Strangely each of the three the Seagate drives are showing a hugely greater number of "Load Cycle Count" than the number of "Power Cycle Count". I have attached a screen-shot of this display.

Is this due to some SMART reporting incompatability with the Seagate drives, or is something else here for me to learn?Screen Shot 2022-10-13 at 11.21.36.png 

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS 516 strange SMART Load Cycle Count on SEAGATE disks, not on Western Digital disks

@whelanjh wrote:

Is this due to some SMART reporting incompatability with the Seagate drives 

No, it just means that the drive is parking the heads at other times (when the drive hasn't been accessed for a while).

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS 516 strange SMART Load Cycle Count on SEAGATE disks, not on Western Digital disks

@whelanjh wrote:

Is this due to some SMART reporting incompatability with the Seagate drives 

No, it just means that the drive is parking the heads at other times (when the drive hasn't been accessed for a while).

Message 2 of 5
whelanjh
Tutor

StephenB - Thank you, I have learned something.

Message 3 of 5
Sandshark
Sensei

The bigger question would be why the WD drives aren't parking the heads if there is sufficient idle time that the Seagates are.

Message 4 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

The bigger question would be why the WD drives aren't parking the heads if there is sufficient idle time that the Seagates are.

Likely the drive firmware is tuned differently.

My RN202 has a WD WD140EGFX and a ST14000NM001G (using jbod)  On the WD drive, the power cycle count is 41 and the load cycle count is 93.  The Seagate has a power cycle count of 108, and a load cycle count of 3981.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements