× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS NV stuck on resync 40.1%

Msquared-99
Aspirant

ReadyNAS NV stuck on resync 40.1%

ReadyNas NV +2 inc 4 x 1tb Western Digital 
I received an email from the NV+2 to say disk 4 was having a few smart issues and I should considering changing it, I ordered a new drive idetical to others and swapped it out, it is now stuck and will not go beyond 40.1% resync, the device is not responsive via any means, the only way to power down is to remove the plug, I have left it running for weeks hoping that it was just taking a lot time to get it's self sorted.
I am unable to access the device via any means, it is not been seen in Raidar and I am concerned as I have all my backups on here and you could say I put all my eggs in one basket.

What should I do next!
Thank You.

Message 1 of 11
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: ReadyNAS NV stuck on resync 40.1%

You might have another failing disk.

Can you power down, remove your disks (label order), hook them up to your PC and test them using WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostics?

Message 2 of 11
Msquared-99
Aspirant

To power down I will have to pull the plug and reinstate the same way! This will inialise another rebuild, I am really concerned and I am trying to minimise the risk of losing data.
I carried out the simple test on the drive I removed and each time I get Status Code7 failed read test error failure checkpoint 97, but the extended test runs ok!
Just need to find a way to bring it back online to copy or move the data to another place for safety.
Thank you.
Message 3 of 11
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Well identifying which of your other disks is having issues is important for working out the best way forward.

If the resync is getting stuck and not progressing further that suggests you have a second failing/bad disk.

Message 4 of 11
Msquared-99
Aspirant

I agree and understand the need to check and therfore eliminate the possible faulty disks, if I go back this all started from a single email from the box advising I swap disk 4 due to smart errors and aviod possible failure, that's it.
Prior to that the disks and system has been brilliant along with the other NAS boxes I have scattered around.
I am going to label and remove each disk, test it via lifegaurd utility as suggested and see what that brigns up, the extended test takes a considerable amount of time to run so is there a test that suits, proving a disk to be ok and allowing me to speed up the process of elmination.

I appreciate any feedback and guideance, the data is critical and I will do whatever to ensure of its saftey.

Message 5 of 11
vandermerwe
Master

You should use the extended test.  Yes it takes ages, but as has been pointed out previously it is essential that you know exactly what is going on with the health of all the disks before deciding how to proceed.  This includes the new disk that you have just inserted. 

A resync puts heavy stress on the disks, if there was another of the disks that was borderline, the resync may have worsened this. 

If the nas is a backup device, are you implying that the primary data is elsewhere and intact?

Message 6 of 11
Msquared-99
Aspirant

Ok, I will continue with testing, all tests so far have proved inconclusive with no failures so I will use extended testing on all units and see what this returns.

Sorry, this NAS Box is my main or primary device where I store all data, I have other Ready NAS boxes and many HDD's in the PC's but all data / photographs are moved here for archive and then removed from other storage devices, this is my way of retaining order and keeping thins clean. 😞

I will report back once all disks have tested.

Thank You.

Message 7 of 11
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Important data should always be stored on multiple devices. Things like multiple disk failures can happen.

Message 8 of 11
Msquared-99
Aspirant

Just to post an update and status on procedures and tests carried out so far, the more this goes on the more I am realising I dont have any control over the outcome nor is there any logic in the results so far.

Remeber this all started from a single email from the NAS box informing of a smart error, so I replaced disk 4 based on the smart error report which then led to the device being stuck on 40% resync forever. 
Based on feedback and advice received so far I have removed all disks and using the tools as suggested I have ran extensive tests on all disks which have come back ALL OK, disk 1 C did initially report errors and would not complete an extensive test so I ordered more disks and replaced it, since then I have retested the drive twice and it completes all tests as OK, how does this figure 😞

After weeks and weeks the status currently is holding at 37.7% and now displaying no network access with new disk in bay 1, the device did spend a lot of time displaying spinning up, at next check it was back to resyncing so I will leave it alone for another few days and see what transpires.
Prior to reinsreting new disk and trying again I did a test with a new drives as a new unit and it did configure and complete ready for use so I believe the unit is working as it should be.

The BIG question would be "What is the expected time for the device to resynce itself with new disk" there is 1.7tb of photographs in the data.

As a thought what is the capability of the device in reporting or monitoring disk errors, I had the email about smart error but can it detect and report other disk errors?
I am considering and looking at alternative solutions as a secondary backup but with limited internet access and poor speeds it is difficult to syncronise and move date off site to a cloud service. 

I continue to be optimistic and hope I will eventually reserect this device and see my data again.

Thank You

Message 9 of 11
StephenB
Guru

An NV+ v1 should resync 4x1TB in less than 24 hours (not sure how much less - its been a long time since mine resynced).

Does the NAS respond to ping?

On disk monitoring - The NAS will report ATA errors as well  (which are not coming from SMART).  I don't think there is much else it could monitor - do you have something specific in mind?  About 35% of all disks fail without any warning.  At least that's what a Google study on disk drives found some years ago.

Message 10 of 11
Msquared-99
Aspirant

Thank you for your valued comments and feedback, when I use Raidar it pops up and dissappears randomly, it does respond to ping and the shared drives are still showing as active, it seems to be a bit eratic with the way it's behaving, it has been stuck on 31.9% for the past 4hours and I dont want to interfere but it just dosent seem right. It most definatley isnt happening in uder 24hrs which would suggest there is something a miss somewhere.
With regards to the monitoring I didnt have anything specific, it was more about being pro active, I have always set alarms and warnings to ensure I change HDD's in all NAS boxes every 12 months to avoid issues, so my thoughts were if a drive was failing or had problems why hadnt I received any notice of this except a single smartdrive error.

I lost all my data before to a NAS box "Not Netgear" and not for HDD failiure but the PCB failed and I was unable to get it repaired or replaced so the drives were dead! This is why I invest a lot of effort into monitoring and checking the drives, I never seem to win or get it right what ever I do, there is no real safe option I guess its all about multiple locations and finding a way to sync them all together.

I really appreciate you efforts and feedback, normally I suffer alone until I find the answer or fail 🙂

I am not giving up on this one, I am determined to get it back online.
Regards
Roy Tucker

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements