× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS Ultra 6 Plus Failed Motherboard

m021998
Aspirant

ReadyNAS Ultra 6 Plus Failed Motherboard

Hello,

I have an RNDP600U that appears to have a failed motherboard.  The device front lights turn on, fans spin, READYNAS is displayed on the front screen, but it never seems to boot past that.  There is no network link light, and after connecting to the console port and motherboard VGA port, I get no output.  I have replaced the power supply and continue with the same indications.

I have ordered a replacement RNDP600U to attempt data recovery, before going the linux mdadm route.  In this post https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS-in-Business/Readynas-ultra-6-dead-motherboard/m... ,

NETGEAR Employee Retired, indicates there is a procedure to recover the data with a new chassis.
  Can someone post or link me to the procedure?

Thank you.

Model: ReadyNAS RNDP600U|ReadyNAS Ultra 6 Plus Chassis only
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: ReadyNAS Ultra 6 Plus Failed Motherboard

Hi @m021998

Welcome to the Community!

The procedure @mdgm is pertaining to is for Data migration to OS 6 which you can get here. This procedure might require Data Recovery contract and Support intervention.

But since you purchased the same unit, your disks provided that they are fine would boot normally with it since they have the same architecture and OS.

We would advised still to initialize setup on the RNDP6000U and update it first before inserting the disks from your older unit,

Hope this helps!

Regards

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @m021998

Welcome to the Community!

The procedure @mdgm is pertaining to is for Data migration to OS 6 which you can get here. This procedure might require Data Recovery contract and Support intervention.

But since you purchased the same unit, your disks provided that they are fine would boot normally with it since they have the same architecture and OS.

We would advised still to initialize setup on the RNDP6000U and update it first before inserting the disks from your older unit,

Hope this helps!

Regards

Message 2 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@Marc_V wrote:

update it first before inserting the disks from your older unit,

Yes, you should update the firmware before inserting your disks.  You do that by doing a factory install with a single scratch disk (not part of your array).  Then update the firmware to whatever was on your original NAS.  If you aren't sure, then update it to 4.2.31.  Note that the scratch disk will be formated, so anything on it will be lost.

There are two reasons for doing this:

1. It confirms that the replacement NAS is working ok, which minimizes any chance of damage to your array.
  2. If the firmware in the NAS flash memory doesn't match what's on your disks, then the NAS will attempt to install whatever firmware it has onto your disks.  While that generally works, it doesn't always (particularly if the replacement has very old firmware).  It's best to avoid that risk.

Message 3 of 4
m021998
Aspirant

I received another ultra 6 plus from ebay, put in a single temporary drive, factory reset it, updated the firmware, then put in all 6 disks from my original unit and my iscis luns were available and online.

thanks.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements