× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Readynas 1100 unresponsive - quota check?

hezner
Aspirant

Readynas 1100 unresponsive - quota check?

The shares on our Readynas 1100 dropped off the network at toward the end of the day today.  I could not get into Frontview or Raidar (4.1.5).  I pushed the front blue power button but nothing happened so I flipped the power switch on the back.  After a few seconds I flipped it back and the ReadyNas rebooted.  I now have all green lights lit except for one of the NICs. The blue power light is doing a slow blink.  I can ping the unit on the nic that is lit and can see it in Raidar.  Raidar shows Vol disk, all 4 drives, temp, and fan as solid green.  The correct name and IP address show.  In the info column it says quota check. 

Does this mean that the unit is doing a quota check and I should just wait to see if it becomes available in Frontview in a few hours?  Any words of wisdom are appreciated.  I have backups from last night but would prefer not to loose today's work if possible.   Thanks for your input, Pat

Message 1 of 26

Accepted Solutions
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Readynas 1100 unresponsive - quota check?

Hello hezner,

If it takes too long that it already reaches more than 24 hrs, you might need to contact support already. I checked your profile and your ReadyNAS 1100 is already out of warranty and support, however you can avail their per incident support, it may need to get escalated to L3.

Regards,

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 26

All Replies
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello hezner,

Welcome to the community!

Quota Check depends on the size of the volume, it it's TB size, usually it takes a day. You may really need to wait for it.

Regards,

Message 2 of 26
hezner
Aspirant

So if I have over 2T it will likely take more than over night?  Sounds like I'm going to have anxious users today.   Thanks for confirming that all is not lost.   

Message 3 of 26
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello hezner,

More or less a day, I believe.

It's always recommended to have full backup of the files.

Regards,

Message 4 of 26
hezner
Aspirant

I do have a full back up of everything through Saturday.  If I had to restore from back up we would lose Monday's work.  Which is bad but could be resolved.  Hope it does not come to that.  When the ReadyNAS is back on network that will be the first thing I do is run the backup to capture Monday's work. 

Message 5 of 26
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello hezner,

Quota check is safe AFAIK.

Good to know that you have full backup except for Monday's work, at least you practice backing up files.

Let us know if you get in to trouble with accessing the data once it is done.

Regards,

Message 6 of 26
hezner
Aspirant

Thanks for your reassurance.  I'll report back when the quota check is done.  Hopefully not issues. 

Message 7 of 26
hezner
Aspirant

Jenn,

I see in other posts where people can tell % of quota check that is done.  I see nothing except the words "quota check" in Raidar.  Should I be able to see progress?  Also I did not have any quotas set.   Is it even legitimate for a quota check to run?  Sorry but I'm  getting antsy.  We are approaching 22 hours that this has been running with no apparent change in anything. 

Message 8 of 26
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello hezner,

If it takes too long that it already reaches more than 24 hrs, you might need to contact support already. I checked your profile and your ReadyNAS 1100 is already out of warranty and support, however you can avail their per incident support, it may need to get escalated to L3.

Regards,

Message 9 of 26
hezner
Aspirant

Just to update - I did open an incident support ticket (26030158) and it has been escalated to L3.  I'm waiting for tier 3 support personnel to contact me.  The tier 2 person I spoke with indicated that they would priorize my ticket since it is for a business.  Just don't know what that means for time frame.   I'll update again when I hear more.  

Message 10 of 26
hezner
Aspirant

Just to update.  I've responded to 2 rounds of questions from the L3 support people but 4 days later have not had a call from them and things are still in the same place they were 4 days ago.  I'm a bit discouraged.  If this is a priority response, I'm sure I don't want to be on the regular list.  Will update this thread futher when I hear more.  .

Message 11 of 26
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello hezner,

I checked your case and found that it has been waiting for response from the support people since Nov 14. I've pinged the support about it.

Regards,

Message 12 of 26
hezner
Aspirant

Thank you, Jenn.  I got a response from support this morning just after you pinged them for me.  I'll reply again after I've done the additional things that they asked.  Hopefully they will be able to remote in and resolve the issue. 

Message 13 of 26
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello hezner,

Glad to hear they went back to you.

Regards,

Message 14 of 26
hezner
Aspirant

Jenn,

Perhaps you know the answer to the question that I just asked the tech support person.  They had asked that I reboot the unit into Tech Support mode to see if the 5 digit code would show up this time.  In doing so one of the disks in the orignal group of 4 failed (really bad clicking).  By getting really close I was able to hear which disk was making the sound and pulled it.   Then the unit rebooted properly and both Raidar and Frontview show a degraded array. 

During troubleshooting with the first L1 tech I had pulled all the original drives and used my spare disk to boot into a new volume.  My question is do I have to do a reformat somehow on that spare disk before putting into the degraded array?  Or can I just put in in like I normally would and let the rebuild process over write the information that is currently on there?  Thanks for your help with this. 

Pat

Message 15 of 26
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello hezner,

This could mean that more than just 1 disk is faulty.

Inserting a scratch/spare disk the formatting it with the NAS won't help as the NAS will just create a new volume for the spare disk. The data and OS are installed to the disks. If you can live with the backup you have and somehow retrieve files from Monday's work that will be better because support will require you to avail the per incident contract and also data recovery service. It is still up to you through if you are willing to pay the service. 

You might want to read ReadyNAS Data Recovery Diagnostics - Scope of Service article.

Regards,

Message 16 of 26
hezner
Aspirant

I did not ask the question clearly.  If I insert a disk with some information on it into the slot where where I pulled the bad disk will the unit over write the information currently on the disk I inserted and use that disk to rebuild the array?   That is what I want to happen but have always put a blank disk in before. 

Message 17 of 26
StephenB
Guru

@hezner wrote:

I did not ask the question clearly.  If I insert a disk with some information on it into the slot where where I pulled the bad disk will the unit over write the information currently on the disk I inserted and use that disk to rebuild the array?   That is what I want to happen but have always put a blank disk in before. 

No.  It can't import the information on the disk.  It needs to reformat before it adds the replacement to the array.

Message 18 of 26
hezner
Aspirant

OK  I'll reformat the drive before I insert it.  Thanks

Message 19 of 26
StephenB
Guru

@hezner wrote:

OK  I'll reformat the drive before I insert it.  Thanks

Best to unformat it actually.

In windows disk manager, you'd right click on every volume (which amounts to a partition) and delete it.  Vendor diags have an advanced test to zero the drives (one at least has a "quick zero" option that also unformats).

Message 20 of 26
hezner
Aspirant

I have the disk plugged in as a USB.  My Win7 Computer management the disk management sees it as disk 2 (that is correct as I have 2 internal drives) but does not know what size it is or the manufacturer.  It shows as unknown and not initialized.  The drive does not show in Explorer.  When I tried to initialize it failed saying the disk was not ready.  I tried scanning for it in Seagate tools but it did not show there either.  Another suggestions or tools to get it in a state where I can unformat it?  

Message 21 of 26
hezner
Aspirant

I move the disk over and plugged it into an old XP desktop and was able to see the drive partions in disk manager and able to delete the partitions OK.  It does recognize the correct model and capacity of the drive and now shows it all as one unallocated space.  I did not go to the drive manufacturer tools and to the advanced test to zero the dirves 

So, is it OK to plug that into the degraded array now without doing the advanced test?   Thanks so much for your quick response and all your help. 

Pat

Message 22 of 26
StephenB
Guru

@hezner wrote:

So, is it OK to plug that into the degraded array now without doing the advanced test?  

If I have time (or am unsure about the drive) I will run vendor diags on them first.  But you can certainly just hot-insert it into the array. 

Message 23 of 26
hezner
Aspirant

I ran back ups of everything new from a week ago Monday that had not been previously backed up then inserted the blanked disk.  The array is rebuilding now - currently at 2% done.  Will check everything over throughly in the morning when the rebuild is done and will be praying that this issue is resolved.  Have already purchase a new NAS but this will at least give me a bit of leaway in getting it set up and content moved to it.   

Message 24 of 26
hezner
Aspirant

The volume resynced without errors and we have been using the unit all day without any problems.   Evidently my email alerts stopped working.  I tried to redo them but nothing was accepted.  I'll start a separate discussion about if I don't find any answers in my searching.  Thanks to both of you for your help.  I really appreciate it. 

Message 25 of 26
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 25 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements