× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Readynas Network 100mbit issue

beepmeep
Aspirant

Readynas Network 100mbit issue

Hi everybody,

As far as I can see from the documentation of this NAS, it should be capable of running Gigabit speeds on the network. This, however, is not what I'm experiencing..

My test setup has a gigabit unmanaged switch connected to the NAS as well as a Linux Firewall & My Windows 10 laptop.

When I'm connecting to the NAS on my laptop, I can transfer files with ~~10 MB/s. It's the same if I transfer from the NAS to the firewall. When I run an Iperf test between the Windows client & Firewall, I'm getting close to 1Gbit/s throughput, so it shouldn't be physical limitations.

I've tried replacing the cable connected to the NAS & the switch port used.

Model number:

RND-2a / RNDP2000

Firmware Version:

v6.9.1

Model Name:

Readynas Pro 2

Cables used:

Cat6 / Cat5e UTP

Switch:

Zyxel GS108-B

The Web Interface of the NAS shows the interface bandwidth to be Gigabit.

Im at a loss. Would love some help 🙂

Thanks in advance

Model: ReadyNAS RNDP2000|ReadyNAS Pro 2 Chassis only
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Readynas Network 100mbit issue

Can you try installing NasTester from http://www.808.dk/?code-csharp-nas-performance, and use it to test your NAS performance.  You can post back the screenshots here (or just give us the speeds it measured).

Have you confirmed the network speed to between the NAS and the switch?  If the NAS says 100 mbit, then try switching to a different ethernet cable.  If there's an open wire, the autonegotiation will often negotiate 100 mbits.

You could also enable ssh, and install iperf on the NAS.  That would let you do an end-to-end performance check of the network.

If you are using jumbo frames, try changing back to the standard 1500 byte MTU.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Can you try installing NasTester from http://www.808.dk/?code-csharp-nas-performance, and use it to test your NAS performance.  You can post back the screenshots here (or just give us the speeds it measured).

Have you confirmed the network speed to between the NAS and the switch?  If the NAS says 100 mbit, then try switching to a different ethernet cable.  If there's an open wire, the autonegotiation will often negotiate 100 mbits.

You could also enable ssh, and install iperf on the NAS.  That would let you do an end-to-end performance check of the network.

If you are using jumbo frames, try changing back to the standard 1500 byte MTU.

Message 2 of 4
beepmeep
Aspirant

Hi,

I didn't realize I could install packages on the NAS, I installed Iperf and measued 980mbit. In the meantime before your reply, I changed port on the nas to Port 1 (was using port 2). I tried changing back to Port 2 and could measure 96mbit, so I suppose I'm dealing with a faulty port on the NAS..

Thanks for your help, the performance tester will ease troubleshooting in the future 🙂

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@beepmeep wrote:

I didn't realize I could install packages on the NAS,

You do want to be cautious here.  You don't want to upgrade libraries Netgear hasn't customized, and often times there are issues if the libraries the ReadyNAS application needs conflict with the versions the user-installed packages need.  Another aspect is that the OS partition is only 4 GB, and really weird things can happen if it gets too full.

But iPerf is safe enough, I've had it installed on my OS 6 NAS for quite a while.  As you say, it is useful for troubleshooting.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements