× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Two ReadyNAS boxen not recognized by Windows 10 Preview

NJRadioGuy
Aspirant

Two ReadyNAS boxen not recognized by Windows 10 Preview

Hi all,
I have two ReadyNAS boxen on my system, an old DUO and a newer 102. I have Windows 10 Preview running in a VM and it will not connect to either NAS. They do not show up under "Network", which they do under Windows 7. The are visible under "Storage" but error out when I attempt to connect (Error 0x80004002: No such interface supported and https://192.168.1.9/admin, displayed twice).

entering \\NAS or \\Media-NAS into the address bar yields "Windows cannot access \\NAS, check the spelling, etc" Error code 0x80004005 Unspecified error.

If I put in the IP address of either box I can access the control panel interface using my browser but I cannot access resources on it. I also need to provide a permanent security exception to each RAID box.

I am running Radiator 4.1.1.4 firmware on the DUO and 6.2.4 on the 102.

I need to solve this before the Windows 10 rollout, which will update all ten PCs in my home/home-office. Thanks in advance.

EDIT: After trying a few times with the Media-NAS (the 102), it is showing up normally under Network. But the DUO is not. I have CIFS and AFS protocols enabled on the Duo. Cannot go any further with the Duo, which is severely problematic since that's where my non-media backups and business files are located.
Message 1 of 26
StephenB
Guru

Re: Two ReadyNAS boxen not recognized by Windows 10 Preview

\\nas-ip-address in Windows Explorer opens the browser for the duo????

Have you tried mapping a volume to a PC drive letter with net use?
Message 2 of 26
NJRadioGuy
Aspirant

StephenB wrote:
\\nas-ip-address in Windows Explorer opens the browser for the duo????
Have you tried mapping a volume to a PC drive letter with net use?

No, putting in 192.168.x.y opens up Firefox and gets me to the NAS control panel.

Net Use does, in fact, work but with over two dozen shares on the NAS, it's not particularly practical -- but it will do in a pinch. Certainly this isn't a good solution for migrating all my PCs to Win 10. Ten PCs times 11 or 12 shares each....yeah, I think I'd like to solve this in a more permanent fashion if that's possible :). I can't believe I'm the only one experiencing this problem. This is a very clean install under Oracle Virtual Box with only a couple of browsers and Office 2013 installed on it for testing purposes, so there aren't any real oddballs in there that should affect simple networking like this. Would enabling NFS help, do you think? I would think CIFS should be sufficient, no?
Message 3 of 26
NJRadioGuy
Aspirant

A followup.
OK, this is getting stranger by the minute. In the Windows 10 explorer, under "This PC", and "Network Connections" I see the two devices. I can access them, however I think it's some guest account or something on the NAS (I didn't think I even had one, nor do I want it). I cannot access my own profile nor does it challenge me to enter a username and password.

I can ping it with an IP address but not with a UNC name (\\NAS). All the PCs are visible, but not the NAS boxen nor the Macs, for that matter.
Message 4 of 26
StephenB
Guru

Just 192.168.x.y will open up the default browser in win 7/win 8 as well. But \\192.168.x.y should not. So please confirm the \\ (note the direction of the slashes).

You can map the full volume with net use (\\192.168.x.y\C, with NAS admin credentials) - though I agree it is not ideal.

I don't think adding NFS will help unless you are using NFS on the PCs instead of CIFS. However, since "net use" works I am thinking this can be sorted less drastically.

NJRadioGuy wrote:
OK, this is getting stranger by the minute. In the Windows 10 explorer, under "This PC", and "Network Connections" I see the two devices. I can access them, however I think it's some guest account or something on the NAS (I didn't think I even had one, nor do I want it). I cannot access my own profile nor does it challenge me to enter a username and password.
Credentials (e.g. guest account) aren't related to the devices showing up.

I suggest sorting out access by IP address first, and then reaching to the name resolution issue.

Is your windows 10 PC in the same workgroup as the NAS?
Message 5 of 26
NJRadioGuy
Aspirant

StephenB wrote:
Just 192.168.x.y will open up the default browser in win 7/win 8 as well. But \\192.168.x.y should not. So please confirm the \\ (note the direction of the slashes).You can map the full volume with net use (\\192.168.x.y\C, with NAS admin credentials) - though I agree it is not ideal.

StephenB wrote:
Is your windows 10 PC in the same workgroup as the NAS?

Yes. All PCs, Macs and NASes are in the same workgroup. I am not using Homegroup functionality.
Message 6 of 26
DanZ
Initiate

SOLVED!
I had a similar problem connecting Windows 10 to an older NAS. Here is the solution:

There is a setting in windows Local Security Policy which is incorrectly set by default for viewing an older communication protocol NAS.
To access said setting go to the control panel in Windows 10 (or 7), in Category view click on the text “System and Security”, then click on the text “Administrative Tools”.
Now double click and open “Local Security Policy”.
In the Local Security Policy screen on the left navigation tree, expand the “Local Policies –> Security Options” then about 2/3rd’s the way down the list you’ll see a Policy called “Network Security: LAN Manager authentication level”. Double click and change the setting to be “Send LM & NTLM – use NTLMv2 session security if negotiated.”
Then just press OK and close all of the open windows and then try again

In the case of Windows 10 Home, Local Security Policy does not exist; therefore make the change in the registry (use regedit).

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\control\LSA
Add:
LMCompatibilityLevel
Value Type: REG_DWORD – Number (32 bit, hexadecimal)
Valid Range 0-5
Default: 0, Set to 1 (Use NTLMv2 session security if negotiated)
Description: This parameter specifies the type of authentication to be used.

Message 7 of 26
Gmasser
Aspirant

Could you be so kind as to do a screen capture of this section of your registry so a novice like myself can just copy it? 

Message 8 of 26
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi NJRadioGuy,

Do you have RAIDar utility installed in your machine? Can you confirm if the old DUO unit is accessible to other PCs or Windows Machine?

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 9 of 26
RefRef3
Aspirant

Thanks!  Worked great.

Message 10 of 26
neast25
Aspirant

My solution is as follows:

1. Go to: "Control Panel > Credential Manager > Windows Credentials"

2. Once here, click on "Add a Windows credential"

3. Type in the network address or local name in the "Internet or network address" field

4. Type in the username you set up to access your NAS in "Username"

5. Type in the password to access your NAS in "Password"

I have tried this with a Netgear Readynas Duo and it worked as soon as I added these credentials (I added an entry for the IP address and another for the local name).

Model: ReadyNASRND2110v2|ReadyNAS Duo v2 1TB (1 X 1TB Desktop)
Message 11 of 26
symedley
Aspirant

I have a problem exactly like what NJRadioGuy described! 

After the latest Windows 10 (pro) updates, I can't see the NAS anymore from a file explorer. It's driving me nuts, and it's wasting hours and hours of my work time.

These are the recent Windows updates (not including security updates)
3/15/16 KB3139907
3/15/16 KB3142588
2/13/16 KB3136561

This is on an ASUS N550JX-DS74T Laptop. I have another old Dell laptop running running Win 10 Pro. It stopped being able to access the NAS and then after the very latest update, it can access the NAS again. But with the ASUS, no dice. I can connect to the admin portal via a browser. There are no problems reported on the NAS.

I checked all the settings that others have mentioned in this thread. What else can I try? Please help!

Model: ReadyNASRNDU2120|ReadyNAS Ultra 2 2TB (1 x 2TB Desktop)
Message 12 of 26
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi symedley,

Welcome to the community!

I presume you can still access your NAS files via File Explorer using \\NAS-IP\ Just patiently wait for the next windows updates that will be available in your PC.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team 

Message 13 of 26
symedley
Aspirant

Um, okay. Can you explain why this problem is happening? Is there a known issue in the recent Win 10 update?

Thanks,

Susannah

Message 14 of 26
StephenB
Guru

It has been reported by several windows-10 users recently, though it is working on my systems.

Showing up in the Windows Network list has always been a bit hit-or-miss.  You can add a network location (which shows up in the main pane), create a windows shortcut to shares (or the NAS share list), or just enter \\nasname or \\nasname\sharename in file explorer if its not there.

Message 15 of 26
glwrnsn
Aspirant

I have a ReadyNAS NV+ that I cannot get recognized by Windows 10.  I had managed to get it to be in FileExplorer but when I double click on it I get error 0x80004002 No Such interface Supported.  I have tried a number of things, none which have worked.  So I did as you recommend here.  First, Administrative Tools and Local Security Policy were in a different location. It was listed under Apps.  So I changed the setting, and now my NAS has disappeared from FileExlorer.  I tried to change the setting back but it won't let me.  I didn't do the second item because I am running Windows 10 Professional 64 bit.

You got any suggestions?

Message 16 of 26
StephenB
Guru

Try this test:

Open CMD and enter

net use * /delete

net use t: \\NASIPADDRESS\c /user:admin NASADMINPASSWORD

The first terminates any open network connections.  It might prompt - if so, let it proceed.  The second maps the NAS C data volume to driver letter t. Use the real nas ipaddress and nas admin passord of course.

Let us know what happens.

Message 17 of 26
glwrnsn
Aspirant

I have already tried this numerous time, but I did it again.  Same results, system error 67, the network name cannot be found

Message 18 of 26
glwrnsn
Aspirant

You just asked me to do this....I am confused, what will change?

Message 19 of 26
StephenB
Guru

@glwrnsn wrote:

You just asked me to do this....I am confused, what will change?

Sorry - you jumped to a new thread, and I lost track of your situation.  

System error 67 generally means that the network name can't be found.  So it is unusual that you are seeing this with the IP address.

I'm not sure what to suggest other than checking that the workgroup names match, that the network type is private, and that SMB access is allowed. But I think you have done all those things.

Message 20 of 26
bedlam1
Prodigy

I have been having similar problems and may have stumbled on something that may help which worked for me

In Windows open Open "Network and Sharing Centre" click on "Change advanced sharing settings" to left and UNCHECK "Turn on automatic setup of network-connected devices" and Save

AS soon as I did this my Readynas showed up in file explorer "Network" and was fully available

UPDATE: I jumped the gun ....NAS disappeared again...... please ignore the above unless it does happen to help you

Message 21 of 26
glwrnsn
Aspirant

I was worth a try.  I unchecked it and nothing happened.  Darn.  Still a mystery.

Message 22 of 26
bedlam1
Prodigy

Try this as it worked for me

In Windows open "\Network and Sharing Centre" then "Advanced sharing settings" then expand at (the bottom) "All Networks" Enable "Turn on password-protected sharing" then "Save changes"

Message 23 of 26
glwrnsn
Aspirant

Thanks for the info.  My setting were already set to these settings.  Still a mystery.

Message 24 of 26
Dopeman
Aspirant

Omg! Thank you very much, if have spend way to much time trying to find a solution. Editing the policys finally worked for me!

Message 25 of 26
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 25 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 11 in conversation
Announcements