× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Win 10 will not allow writing to USB drive

carailer
Aspirant

Win 10 will not allow writing to USB drive

Everything worked fine on my old Win10 PC, then I switched to a new Win10 PC.  Readyshare is setup for no password read and write. I can access my readyshare drive to read, but not write.  When I try to access it (as a network location), Win10 only offers a menu to Browse Folders (and access to Music, Pictures, and Video).  I cannot create a folder or write at all to the readyshare drive.  If I try on Win10 to map the drive, it cannot find it.  The Browse Folders option allows me to read the readyshare drive just fine.  I assume this must be a Win10 problem, not a Netgear problem.

Model: WNDR3400|N600 Wireless Dual Band Router
Message 1 of 15
rn_enthusiast
Virtuoso

Re: Win 10 will not allow writing to USB drive

Hi @carailer 

This is the NAS forum (ReadyNAS). I would suggest posting in the router forum instead 🙂

https://community.netgear.com/t5/General-WiFi-Routers-Non/bd-p/home-wifi-routers-general 

Message 2 of 15
StephenB
Guru

Your router is pretty old, and I suspect it only supports SMB 1.  Microsoft is deprecating that, so it is not enabled on new PCs. I am thinking that you have DLNA enabled in the router settings, and that Windows is using it to access the media on the drive.

Try going into "Turn Windows Features on or off", and see if the SMB 1.0/CIFS client is enabled.  If it isn't, enable it (ignoring the security warning) and then see if you can access the files from file explorer.  Enter \\router-ip-address in the address bar (using the real router IP address of course, and using the correct slash direction).  The default router IP address is 192.168.1.1

If that works, then try \\readyshare.

Message 3 of 15
carailer
Aspirant

Thanks.  SMB 1 is enabled.  My router is at 192.168.1.64.  I try and access 192.168.1.64\readyshare\USB_Storage using Map Drive, and it tells me the device rejects the connection.  Interesting, because Windows lets me read the device - just not write to it.

Message 4 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@carailer wrote:

Thanks.  SMB 1 is enabled.  My router is at 192.168.1.64.  

That is an unsual router IP.  Are you using it in AP mode?

Maybe confirm that you have the right path by running CMD on the PC.  Then enter

net view \\192.168.1.64

Also, the router might be set up to need a password for write access.  Maybe check the router config for that.

Message 5 of 15
carailer
Aspirant

I don't know what AP is.  I see no option on the router setup regarding that.  I have set readyshare for no passwords.  When I go to CMD and try net view \\192.168.1.64 or 192.168.1.1 or even the local 10.0.0.1, I get an error that no connection exists. 

Message 6 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@carailer wrote:

I don't know what AP is.

AP: Access point.  AP mode is an advanced setting (page 77 here: https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/WNDR3400V3/WNDR3400v3_UM_19June2014.pdf)

Basically it lets you use the WNDR3400's wifi without using it as a router.

@carailer wrote:

When I go to CMD and try net view \\192.168.1.64 or 192.168.1.1 or even the local 10.0.0.1, I get an error that no connection exists. 

How did you determine that your router's IP was 192.168.1.64?

When you say "local 10.0.0.1", are you saying that your router is set up for 10.0.0.x addresses?

Message 7 of 15
carailer
Aspirant

Maybe I am wrong about the IP. 192.168.1.64 is the internet IP.  But why did net view not find 192.168.1.1? Yes, my system is set up for 10.0.0.x.  Would AP do anything for me?  The system works fine, except for this new USB writing issue.

Message 8 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@carailer wrote:

Maybe I am wrong about the IP. 192.168.1.64 is the internet IP.  But why did net view not find 192.168.1.1? Yes, my system is set up for 10.0.0.x. 

If your local network is 10.0.0.x, then the internal IP address of the Netgear router would normally be 10.0.0.1.  

192.168.1.64 is a private IP address.  So if that is the Netgear's WAN address, then you are double-routing (your modem is actually a gateway - that is a modem+router, and you are connecting it to the Netgear).  

You can confirm by running CMD on the PC (just enter CMD into windows search), and entering tracert 1.1.1.1 

You should see something that looks like this:

Tracing route to one.one.one.one [1.1.1.1]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  10.0.0.1
  2    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  192.168.1.1
  3     7 ms     3 ms     2 ms  one.one.one.one [1.1.1.1]

Trace complete.

There could be other stuff between the hop 2 and the final hop to 1.1.1.1

@carailer wrote:

Would AP do anything for me? 

Likely not, I was just trying to understand the IP address.  We can talk more about that after we figure out your problem.

@carailer wrote:

The system works fine, except for this new USB writing issue.

Which only happens on the new PC.  So something is different on the setup.

Does the PC say the network is public or private?  It should be private.

Do you have internet security software running on the PC?

Is the old PC still running?

Message 9 of 15
carailer
Aspirant

Network is private.  Running Norton.  Old PC has been trashed.  tracert performed as expected.  We do not seem to be getting any closer to finding the issue.

Message 10 of 15
StephenB
Guru

Some internet security packages will block SMB1.  So you might want to try disabling Norton, and see if that makes any difference.

Message 11 of 15
carailer
Aspirant

Disabled Norton, and nothing is different.  Somehow Win10 thinks the drive is read-only, but it is set to write with no password.

Message 12 of 15
StephenB
Guru

It's not a router I own, and this is the ReadyNAS forum area - not the router forum area.  I don't have any more advice to offer.

Maybe try starting over by reposting in the correct area ( https://community.netgear.com/t5/General-WiFi-Routers-Non/bd-p/home-wifi-routers-general )

Message 13 of 15
carailer
Aspirant

Thank you for your patience with me.  The issue with SMB seems to be unresolvable (security issues) - time for me to upgrade!

Message 14 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@carailer wrote:

The issue with SMB seems to be unresolvable (security issues) - time for me to upgrade!

You do have an old router - an upgrade would give you faster speeds with newer devices. 

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements