× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

password recovery fails

Aaronius
Aspirant

password recovery fails

Hello all, 

I cannot log in to my ReadyNAS, and after putting the correct recovery details (email and recovery answer) - it says: Recover Password Failed.

I haven't been receiving emails from the NAS for months, and right now my internet is also down (using a hotspot to write this post). This was annoying before, but now the situation is a bit urgent... 

The only thing I can think of is that it's possible that the router address may have changed so the NAS cannot get to the internet. Does this sound like a possibility to you guys?

As the physical reset button wasn't configured originally, that reset option isn't available to me when I go to the password recovery page. So I don't want to press that button at the back in case I lose data.

Is there a way to recover the password based on these limitations?

Many thanks,

Aaron

Model: RN10400|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4-Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: password recovery fails

You could try an OS Re-install. See How do I access the boot menu on my ReadyNAS 104, 204, 214, or 314?

The process is quite straightforward. Make sure you select the correct boot menu option.

If you did somehow select a "Factory Default" by mistake (not sure how one could do this by mistake, but anyway...) you'd have ten minutes to power down the system (e.g. unplug the power) to abort this.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You could try an OS Re-install. See How do I access the boot menu on my ReadyNAS 104, 204, 214, or 314?

The process is quite straightforward. Make sure you select the correct boot menu option.

If you did somehow select a "Factory Default" by mistake (not sure how one could do this by mistake, but anyway...) you'd have ten minutes to power down the system (e.g. unplug the power) to abort this.

Message 2 of 4
Aaronius
Aspirant

Thanks for this.

The OS reinstall worked as described - I can update the FW as well. Bonus all round. 🙂

One more question on a seperate issue if you dont mind: I want to add another HD into the system, but it isn't empty - can I just add it and the ReadyNAS will do the necessary work to reformat, and sync as needed. I am running a RAIDx setup.

Thanks,

Aaron

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@Aaronius wrote:

I want to add another HD into the system, but it isn't empty - can I just add it and the ReadyNAS will do the necessary work to reformat, and sync as needed. I am running a RAIDx setup.

It needs to be at least as large as the largest disk currently installed.

You hot-insert it (NAS running).  Then go to the volume tab in the Web UI, select the new disk and then choose "format".  After it is formatted, the system will automatically add it to the XRAID array.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements