× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

No Network Access To Shares After Upgrade To 6.5.1

realmcom
Aspirant

No Network Access To Shares After Upgrade To 6.5.1

Today I merged my Netgear accounts and then upgraded the NAS firmware to 6.5.1.  Prior to this I cannot remember what version it was running, but it was the latest allowed prior to merging the accounts.

Now I cannot access the shares via SMB on my Windows 10 PC.  I am able to ping the NAS successfully and I can access the admin page via IP in the browser no problem.  I am able to access the shares on my Mac OK.  But I cannot access the NAS via hostname or IP on the Windows 10 PC.  SMB is turned on and permissions are anonymous, and I have checked the network settings including DNS - all appear to be set OK.

Hostname Connect Error.jpg

IP Connect Error.jpg

IP Settings Correct.JPG

It seems like the same issue experienced here: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS/0x80070035-fault-after-upgrade-6-5/m-p/1108768/... and here: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS/No-files-in-file-explorer-Windows-10/td-p/11032...

Also directly after the upgrade I received a barrage of email alerts saying my USB drive had been constantly connected/disconnected however nobody had been touching it.  After unplugging and reconnecting the USB drive the alerts have stopped.  Weird.

Any assistance to resolve this would be appreciated.  As I use anonymous permissions I don't believe this could be a Windows Credentials error - there's nothing related to the NAS in there anyway.

Thanks.

Model: RN31200|ReadyNAS 300 Series 2- Bay
Message 1 of 37

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: No Network Access To Shares After Upgrade To 6.5.1

@realmcom wrote:
...As I use anonymous permissions I don't believe this could be a Windows Credentials error...

I'd look at that anyway, if only to rule it out.  If there are no credentials saved for the NAS, Windows presents the user/password you used to log onto windows.  If that fails to authenticate then you are denied access - even if anonymous access is allowed by the NAS.  

(1) Is the Mac also using SMB to access the shares, or does it use AFP?

(2) If IPv6 is enabled on the NAS, try disabling it.

(3) Try these commands (substituting the real NAS admin password) and let us know what happens:

net use * /delete

net use t: \\192.168.0.4\data /user:admin nasadminpassword

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 37

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@realmcom wrote:
...As I use anonymous permissions I don't believe this could be a Windows Credentials error...

I'd look at that anyway, if only to rule it out.  If there are no credentials saved for the NAS, Windows presents the user/password you used to log onto windows.  If that fails to authenticate then you are denied access - even if anonymous access is allowed by the NAS.  

(1) Is the Mac also using SMB to access the shares, or does it use AFP?

(2) If IPv6 is enabled on the NAS, try disabling it.

(3) Try these commands (substituting the real NAS admin password) and let us know what happens:

net use * /delete

Message 2 of 37
realmcom
Aspirant

(1) Is the Mac also using SMB to access the shares, or does it use AFP? Connects by SMB also.

(2) If IPv6 is enabled on the NAS, try disabling it.  IPv6 is already disabled.

(3) Try these commands (substituting the real NAS admin password) and let us know what happens:  I had already deleted the drive map, but yes you were spot on the money.  Mapping that worked with the specific credentials.  I then deleted t: and added all of the mapped drives that I had previously successfully (using the hostname rather than IP with no problems).

net use * /delete

Frustrating that a simple firmware upgrade threw everything out of whack when nothing else had changed, but thanks for the help.

Message 3 of 37
StephenB
Guru

I'm glad you're up and running again.

Message 4 of 37
rhfrhf7
Aspirant

thank you so much for this solutions, I have been frustrated for a week since I upgraded.

Now its back to work

Model: RN31400|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4- Bay
Message 5 of 37
clachance
Aspirant

Hi,

This solution worked for me too, but still, i can't access my NAS directly, the only way is to map a drive with command line.  Is there a way to remove these unwanted credential when i want to access \\mynasname?

Message 6 of 37
StephenB
Guru

Open Windows Credentials Manager; delete all credentials for the NAS and create two new Windows credentials (one for the IP address and one for the Nas Name)

Message 7 of 37
clachance
Aspirant

This is now working like before! Thanks a lot!

Christian.

Message 8 of 37
rhfrhf
Aspirant

worked on my desktop but not on my Surface over WiFi

Model: ReadyNAS-3100|ReadyNAS-3100
Message 9 of 37
StephenB
Guru

@rhfrhf wrote:

worked on my desktop but not on my Surface over WiFi 

Start by checking that file sharing is enabled on the connection (in particular that the WiFi is set to be "private").  Also check that the workgroup setting (not the homegroup setting) on the Surface matches the NAS.

What errors are you seeing?

Message 10 of 37
chris11049
Aspirant

I have been having the same issue.  When I typed that command, i got "a system error 5 has occurred.  Access is denied"

Message 11 of 37
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi chris11049,

Did you experience this problem on a Windows 10 machine? Are you getting the same behavior on your other PCs running on different OS (Windows 7, 8 and MAC)?

Looking forward to your response.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 12 of 37
chris11049
Aspirant

It is a Windows 10 machine, and a brand new one.  The old one crapped out but was working fine when I pulled the plug.  I have no other machines on the network at this time.

Message 13 of 37
rhfrhf7
Aspirant

So far Netgear support has been of no help and the issue continues with my surface.  Can not access the NAS over the network,, keep getting the same error messgae. The box is useless to me and they have not provided and support  to me either.

Model: RN31400|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4- Bay
Message 14 of 37
rhfrhf7
Aspirant

Yes it is a windows 10 machine
Do not another OS
When i try to add the network, it show it to me but when it try to connect
it gives me an error the windows cannot access \\RHF-NAS
Diagnose does not find any error
putting in the ip address does not work either.
error codes is 0x80070035 network not found

Message 15 of 37
rhfrhf7
Aspirant

Do not another OS

Message 16 of 37
chris11049
Aspirant

Success.  I mapped the network drives, specified different credentials and used the admin account. Solved. 

Message 17 of 37
StephenB
Guru

@rhfrhf7 wrote:

Do not another OS

Did you try my tests here: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS/No-Network-Access-To-Shares-After-Upgrade-To-6-... (ignoring the mac one).

Message 18 of 37
rhfrhf7
Aspirant

Can you provide details on how you changed the credentials, I am not familiar on what to change 

Message 19 of 37
StephenB
Guru

Try the cmd tests first, that will tell you if you have a credentials problem.

Message 20 of 37
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi rhfrhf7,

Once you're done with the cmd command, you can configure or edit your credentials through Windows Credential Manager. 

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 21 of 37
rhfrhf7
Aspirant

This connected the drives but when I restarted the Surface the connections were not there and I could not connect

Message 22 of 37
StephenB
Guru

@rhfrhf7 wrote:

This connected the drives but when I restarted the Surface the connections were not there and I could not connect

Was the "this" running the two cmds?  If so, did you run them again?

Note this was a test, if it works the real fix is to go into windows credentials manager.  There's a guide here: http://www.howtogeek.com/106906/how-to-add-credentials-to-the-windows-credential-manager-vault/  (for windows 10, enter "windows credentials" in the windows search bar).

You want to first delete any credentials associated with the NAS.  Then you want to enter new windows credentials for NAS (using its name, and if the IP address is static or reserved in your router, also the IP address).

Then create new credentials, using a local account on the NAS.  Admin works, or you can create a new account.

Message 23 of 37
rhfrhf7
Aspirant

I did not run them again but I will try that. Thanks for you continuing efforts to help me

Message 24 of 37
rhfrhf
Aspirant

the cmd works to connect the drives but when i reboot they are gone.

this is a screen shot of my credentials, the first one is my NAS  IP address

what do i need to add?

thanks

Screenshot 2016-08-09 18.31.25.png

Message 25 of 37
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 36 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements