× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear A6210 internet drops

creeper277
Follower

Netgear A6210 internet drops

So, I just got the Netgear A6210 network adapter for Christmas because I was having problems with my old one and it works great but the only problem is I'm getting internet drops randomly for like a second or two and then it comes back. It's hardly noticeable when browsing the net, but when it comes to gaming it can be really frustrating. I have already looked up if anyone else has had a problem with this but have seen nothing. I should note the drivers are updated and I am running the adapter on Windows 8.1. I'm not entirely sure if it's my computer or the adapter, I'm just assuming it's the adapter as the last one I had didn't have this issue. If anyone knows anything that could help I could really use it, thanks.

Message 1 of 46
clitchfo
Aspirant

Re: Netgear A6210 internet drops

I have the same issue... I've installed the latest software from the website, and I'm running Windows 8.1 Professional. I can plug in my previous (slower) adapter and it does not drop.

I'm suspecting it's the hardware or the drivers. I can make it drop while trying to copy large files over the LAN. It will also drop when streaming video.

Any updates would be greatly appreciated.
Message 2 of 46
clitchfo
Aspirant

Yes, I'm having the same issue. Just got the adapter today from Amazon. I'm also running Windows 8.1 and downloaded the latest "stand-alone" driver from the Netgear web site. I can consistently replicate the drop by downloading large files from the LAN as well as streaming video from my Slingbox. I can remove the adapter and replace with my existing (slower) adapter and the drops don't recur. I'm hopeful this is a driver issue, but it could be defective hardware I suppose... Any updates would be appreciated.
Message 3 of 46
billcrowley
Guide

It has got to be a driver. I have the A6200 and it was flawless on Win7. I upgraded to 8.1 and it has been horrible. Tech support is terrible. they even had the gall to tell me that it was my computer's fault (i.e. Microsoft).

Most recently, they decided to send me a brand new one...guess what? Same problem. It will drop the connection and disappear from the network control panel. It stands to reason the 6210 and 6200 are having the same problem due to the driver but Netgear doesn't want or is incapable of fixing it:mad:.
Message 4 of 46
MikeBlack
Novice

creeper277 wrote:
So, I just got the Netgear A6210 network adapter for Christmas because I was having problems with my old one and it works great but the only problem is I'm getting internet drops randomly for like a second or two and then it comes back. It's hardly noticeable when browsing the net, but when it comes to gaming it can be really frustrating. I have already looked up if anyone else has had a problem with this but have seen nothing. I should note the drivers are updated and I am running the adapter on Windows 8.1. I'm not entirely sure if it's my computer or the adapter, I'm just assuming it's the adapter as the last one I had didn't have this issue. If anyone knows anything that could help I could really use it, thanks.

I have been having a similar problem where the A6210 occasionally seems to drop its connection to my Wifi, loses internet connection and says that no networks are available. A reboot fixes it. I am running Win 7 Pro 64bit on a Dell Opti-Plex 960.

Here is one possible fix I am currently trying. Go to control panel, click on "System," open up the "Device Manager." Click on "Network Adapters," right click on the "A6210" and select "Properties." Click on the "Power Management" tab.

Make sure "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" is unchecked.
Message 5 of 46
MikeBlack
Novice

MikeBlack wrote:
I have been having a similar problem where the A6210 occasionally seems to drop its connection to my Wifi, loses internet connection and says that no networks are available. A reboot fixes it. I am running Win 7 Pro 64bit on a Dell Opti-Plex 960.

Here is one possible fix I am currently trying. Go to control panel, click on "System," open up the "Device Manager." Click on "Network Adapters," right click on the "A6210" and select "Properties." Click on the "Power Management" tab.

Make sure "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" is unchecked.

UPDATE: The fix did NOT work
Message 6 of 46
Cafeine
Novice

I found a fix for the problem: you have to install the generic Ralink/Mediatek driver, which can be found here :

http://cdn-cw.mediatek.com/Downloads/windows/IS_Setup_ICS_010915_1.5.39.93.exe

However I would really appreciate from Netgear to react and publish an official update !!!
Message 7 of 46
billcrowley
Guide

thanks for the driver tip. I uninstalled the netgear driver and installed this one...tried twice but the netgear adapter isn't being recognized. I tried it both ways....standalone driver and full install. Withe the full install a utility is installed. I couldn't get the utility to even open.

Thoughts on what I might be doing wrong?
Message 8 of 46
texmurph
Novice

Hi ,
i have the same problem as Mike.
After 1 or 2 hours, the adapter is down and i have to reboot the system to recover the connection.
The network configuration becomes inactive and freezes.
I tried the standalone driver, older drivers but no way ...
Do you have an idea to help me ?

Intel NUC core i7 windows7 64 bits
Message 9 of 46
texmurph
Novice

Hi,
i tried with the mediatek drievr, same issue ...
Message 10 of 46
crankster
Novice

Same problem when running video on YouTube. I have a Netgear R7000 router so there should not be a conflict here. I have deleted and reinstalled the A6210 V1.0.0.30 driver a few times. Tried deleting the driver in safe mode hoping this would delete any lingering files. Still no luck. What I find strange is when I run speedtest.net in MS Internet Explorer most of the time I get good results of 28mb down. But when running speedtest.net in Firefox I get terrible results of about 1.5MB down. I have tried this countless times after countless driver reinstalls and reboots. Not sure if this has any bearing with this problem. But someone with more smarts than me might be able to do something with this and find an answer.
Message 11 of 46
texmurph
Novice

I have installed the adapter on my laptop with the mediatek driver and launched a big download (one night) ant it worked ... no crash !
I don't understand.
Message 12 of 46
Wyntor
Novice

I had the drop problem with the 6200. After installing the Firmware upgrade (1.0.0.88 ) the internet drops vanished.
Message 13 of 46
Wyntor
Novice

Installing the new Firmware upgrade ......88 solved the dropout problem.
Message 14 of 46
Itsameanoldscen
Aspirant

I have been having the same problem with the A6200 for over two years. I gave up on the A6200 after having two replacements from Netgear none of which worked. I have come to the conclusion that it is something to do with the 64 bit processor. I have had more success using the Dlink Adapter DWA180A1
Message 15 of 46
Wyntor
Novice

Wyntor wrote:
I had the drop problem with the 6200. After installing the Firmware upgrade (1.0.0.88 ) the internet drops vanished.

This firmware upgrade fixed it only partly. While browsing the dropouts are no longer giving the website reset display but playing WoW the dropouts stopping you from changing character. I had to install my old DGN1000 to avoid this. Of course the old DGN1000 is not as good as the A6210 in the wireless department. I hope Netgear will release a better upgrade otherwise 300 dollars wasted.
Message 16 of 46
Wyntor
Novice

The dropouts came back but I think I fixed it this time.
I set the dyn addresses to static as follows:
1: 8.8.8.8
2: 8.8.4.4.
I got this from another forum and it worked.
I haven't checked WoW yet.
You have to use routerlogin in your browser to get to change the addresses.
And I found out that my router is a 6300.
Nvm I am happy with Netgear again.
Message 17 of 46
Dmos
Aspirant

I'm glad the A6210 works great in your Windows 7 Pro. It doesn't work worth a damn in Windows 7 Home. It constantly drops internet connection when web browsing or downloading files. Most current driver is installed. I know I lose connection when the browser just spins its wheels and nothing happens The A6210 Genie verifies it with a red globe.  When this happens, quickly checking the Devise Manager will show no A6210 adapter. This problem resolves itself in about 10 to 15 sec. but constantly reoccures. Has to be the driver. I diffinitely give a thumbs down on this adapter and the company for releasing it.

Message 18 of 46
JamesGL
Master

Hi @Dmos,

Welcome to Community!

When you installed the A6210 driver, did you use the standalone driver or with the genie? If it is with the genie try to uninstall it and reinstall using the standalone driver.

Regards,

JamesGL

Community Team

Message 19 of 46
Dmos
Aspirant

I uninstalled then reinstalled the stand alone driver. This did not solve the problem.

Message 20 of 46
JamesGL
Master

Hi @Dmos,

Can you install it on a different Windows 7 computer? This is just to isolate the issue if it is the adapter.

Regards,

JamesGL

Community Team

Message 21 of 46
Dmos
Aspirant

Thanks for the suggestion but the only Windows 7 is on my desktop

Message 22 of 46
emeba2
Aspirant

I faced this problem after I installed window 10 on my disk top, before this I had window 7 and no problem. Now after window 10 the netgear 6210 not helping me to connect with wifi
Message 23 of 46
JamesGL
Master

Hi @emeba2,

Please try this KB article.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29802/~/netgear-a6210-wireless-adapter-not-working-in-...

Regards,

JamesGL
Community Team

Message 24 of 46
mdroberts88
Aspirant

Hi All,

I can confirm that the issue is in the netgear driver.

The Netgear A6210 uses the Mediatek MT7612U chipset.

Using the Medatek driver fixes the issue immediately - available here:

http://www.mediatek.com/en/downloads1/downloads/usb/

Steps:

1. Download Mediatek driver

2. Uninstall Netgear driver / genie

3. Unplug usb wireless adapter

4. Install Mediatek driver

5. Plug in usb wireless adapter

Extremely frustrating considering Netgear released an update to their driver on 20-Nov and this issue has been ongoing since January.

Cheers

Message 25 of 46
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7