× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

2 home network

Biggsie
Aspirant

2 home network

okay no beating around the bush.

my neighbor and I have found that we can get better internet if we pitch in and buy the highest speed rather than buying the moderate speed.

The thing is one of us has to have the service and depending on the wireless router to reach my house is not working as we had hopped. I see that there are wireless extenders and considering the sizes and close proximity to each other ( Our garages face each other at the back of our houses and are about 25 to 30 feet away. )

the idea is that my buddy would have a EX6120 in his house on the second floor towards the back wall over his garage and I would have another at the back of my house on the second floor over the garage. i would then have a second one down stairs. for downstairs coverage...

QUESTION: Would this work? Basicly 3 extenders linked wirelessly to the one set top router in his house? two house coverage

Model: EX6120|AC1200 Dual Band WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 5
netwrks
Master

Re: 2 home network

An extender connected to a Base router already has a 50% throughput penalty. Extender to extender (if it would stay connected) add another 50% throughput penalty. Expect really slow wifi. Do you have a way to use outdoor Ethernet back to the Base router, and connect to a switch or Access points?

Message 2 of 5
Biggsie
Aspirant

I see what you're saying about the loss from extender to extender. I'm not sure though that I understand the last part. Right now all we have is one router towards the front of his house and I get a decent signal at the back of my house but not downstairs. We're wondering what we could do to strengthen the signal to get it over to my house and cover my complete house and cover his complete house. Is there even a solution for this ?
Message 3 of 5
netwrks
Master

I was asking if you could run Ethernet and use Access Points, as opposed to extenders, between the router and the garages.

Ethernet run from home with router to garage1. Ethernet run from garage1 to garage2.  There are some other companies that do wireless bridging (more on the prosumer side). The cost is a little higher. This site comes to mind. Maybe their mesh devices would work.

Message 4 of 5

The main issue is who is the legal responsible in that case in front of the law?

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7