× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

5ghz wrong channel

hassaninho
Aspirant

5ghz wrong channel

I am very disappointed of this product. I have tested everything.

My 5Ghz is not working because the extender is giving the channels between 100 and 140.
My devices can't support that.
I have testet everything and I have latest fireware.

I can't change it manually to 36.
My router channel is 36.. But the extender does not follow my router.

Please help
Model: EX7500|AC2200 Nighthawk X4S Tri Band WiFi Mesh Extender
Message 1 of 18
plemans
Guru

Re: 5ghz wrong channel

Are you running in access point mode or in extender mode?

Are those channels grayed out or whats preventing the change? 

What is the latest firmware you're using? A number is better than "the latest"

Which region are you in?  and which region is your router and extender set to? 

Message 2 of 18
hassaninho
Aspirant

1. Extender Mode.
2. No, they are not even on the list of 5ghz. I can only choose 100 to 140 on that list.
My routers channel for 5ghz is 36 but the netgear extender change it to 100 - 140
3. 1.0.0.52
4. Europe
Message 3 of 18
plemans
Guru

For testing, if you enable access point mode (direct wire it), are you able to choose 32-48?

What do you mean that your extender changes it to 100-140? It changes your primary router's broadcast channel?

Message 4 of 18
hassaninho
Aspirant

How do you mean wire it?
Where to insert the wire?

The primary channel on my extender is 36 which is correct. It's the channel I have on my Asus router.
But the secondary channel for 5ghz on my extender is 140.

So all my devices can only find the 5 ghz on my Asus router because it's 36 but not finding the 5 ghz on netgear extender because it's 140.
Message 5 of 18
plemans
Guru

@hassaninho wrote:
How do you mean wire it?---My bad was thinking a different extenders. Whoops. Ignore that. 
Where to insert the wire?

The primary channel on my extender is 36 which is correct. It's the channel I have on my Asus router.
But the secondary channel for 5ghz on my extender is 140.

So all my devices can only find the 5 ghz on my Asus router because it's 36 but not finding the 5 ghz on netgear extender because it's 140.

Thats why you're having issues. I should have pulled the device up and read through it more. Sorry about that.

The triband extenders and routers are halfway pointless in these regions. Reason why is that the single radio that it reserves just for talking to the router? Its the only one dedicated to the lower or upper band you're broadcasting on. They have a dedicated radio for upper 5ghz frequency and one for lower 5ghz frequncy. 

If your router uses the higher frequency band then the EX7500 would connect with that radio for the backhaul and rebroadcast on the lower frequency. In regions with stricter broadcasting than you see in the US, tribands run into issues and aren't as effective. Thats why I say they're kind of pointless. 

Message 6 of 18
hassaninho
Aspirant

Hello
Sorry but I don't understand what you really mean.
What should I do?
The settings on my router for high frequency is disabled.
I use only 36-64 MHz channels on my router

The problem is that your extender does convert the 36 to 100-140

What is the solution now?

I want the extender do have it 36-64.
Message 7 of 18
plemans
Guru

@hassaninho wrote:
Hello
Sorry but I don't understand what you really mean.
What should I do?---There isn't much you can do. only 1 of the 2 5ghz radio's broadcast on the lower frequencies. You're using that for the wireless backhaul. 
The settings on my router for high frequency is disabled. Because of the region you're in. 
I use only 36-64 MHz channels on my router--again, because of the region you're in. 

The problem is that your extender does convert the 36 to 100-140---It isn't my extender. This is the community forum where members of the public try to help others out 

What is the solution now?---there's isn't really a solution. I'd return it for a ex7300, ex6400,  or ex6250.  these would work better in your region. 

I want the extender do have it 36-64.---It does have and is using this radio but its using it for the wireless backhaul. 

Message 8 of 18
hassaninho
Aspirant

so i paid 150 usd for nothing ?

Why do they even sell it in EU if its not working here.

What extender should i go for ?

Message 9 of 18
plemans
Guru

It is working but not how you'd like it to.

I recommend 3 that'd work better for you in the prior post
Message 10 of 18
hassaninho
Aspirant

i dont really know if you understand what i mean.

The only thing i want to do is tho extend my 5Ghz wifi signal.

I use channel 36 in my router, I just want to extend it using my EX7500.

Why cant i do that ?

Message 11 of 18
plemans
Guru

Because the only radio that broadcasts on those channels is being used for the wireless backhaul. Not sure how else to explain it.
Message 12 of 18
hassaninho
Aspirant

Ok but how does the 2.4 working.? It's also already used but the extender used same channel.
Message 13 of 18
schumaku
Guru

@hassaninho wrote:

Why do they even sell it in EU if its not working here.

The Netgear EU verisons are legal for unsing in the EU and associated legislations, and make use of the allowed channes available. What is the point of "not" working here?

@hassaninho wrote:
The settings on my router for high frequency is disabled.

This is not Netgear's problem - convinced the extender is able to use this router wireless for linking the extender to the router, isn't it?

@hassaninho wrote:
I use only 36-64 MHz channels on my router

This does not affect any extender operation.

@hassaninho wrote:
The problem is that your extender does convert the 36 to 100-140

It's not "our" extender - most people participating are not working on behalf of Netgear. It does not "convert" anything - these modern extenders are wireless bridge with three radio interfaces, one 2.4 GHz, two 5 GHz. One of the two 5 GHz is used to establish the connection to the router wireless radios.

Wireless extenders are not something "simple" like a bi-directional radio amplifier as installed eg. in road tunnels for FM/DAB coverage.  

These modern extenders have multiple radios, to avoid interferences due to near channels transmitters and receivers, they offer using different channel sets for the extender access point radios. There is no problem with this in general - these channels are prefectly legal to use in Europe (except e.g. Russia).

What is the "real" problem now?

Granted: Some old-old 5 GHz devices might not support the high channels, some IoT junk might have the similar problems. But that's nothing Netgear or any other extender vendor can change. 

@hassaninho wrote:
I want the extender do have it 36-64.

When you think about the fact that a modern wireless device on the 802.11ac or 802.11ax standards does use 80 MHz (or up to 160 MHz bandwidth - that would occupy all channels 36-64!) on the 5 GHz band, the idea to re-purpose the same channels is a bad idea from the performance prospective Needless to say, that basic extenders do this - that's OK for low toe medium bandwidth requirements, but not for todays bandwidth and performance hungry wireless devices and users.

Please re-think why you think you want this bad approach...

@hassaninho wrote:
Ok but how does the 2.4 working.? It's also already used but the extender used same channel.

The extender has only one 2.4 GHz radio interface, so the same channels must be used for the uplink to the router 2.4 GHz and for the extender access point radio.

Message 14 of 18
hassaninho
Aspirant

Ok I just bought Netgear EX6420 AC1900 WiFi Mesh Extender.

I hope it will work better.

Message 15 of 18
schumaku
Guru

@hassaninho wrote:

Ok I just bought Netgear EX6420 AC1900 WiFi Mesh Extender.

The fact that the more advanced Tri-band WiFi Mesh Extender make use of different 5 GHz channels (and radios) for the uplink to the router and the extender access point is nothing worse - this makes it the much better performer for the 5 GHz band then the Essentials WiFi Mesh Extender.

@hassaninho wrote:

I hope it will work better.

The Essential EX6420 on the other hand does make use of one radio for each band, but does come with a 3x3 capable 5 GHz radio on 5 GHz. As such it will follow the router 2.4 and 5 GHz channels.  

Message 16 of 18
hassaninho
Aspirant

Yeah.. 6420 was very good.
Now I need to sell my 7500 🙂
Message 17 of 18
schumaku
Guru

Good in the aspect that it does share the same channels and the same 5 GHz radio for the router uplink and the local AP.... Not sure you have read and understood the differences shown above.

I'm still trying to understand what the problem should be that the EX7500 does make use of different channels in your mind...

Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7