× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: AX800 how do I know if my cellphone is connected to the extender and not the router?

The_monk
Initiate

AX800 how do I know if my cellphone is connected to the extender and not the router?

My phone says I am connected to NETGEAR14-5G whether I am next to the phone extender or next to the router. Shouldn’t it say NETGEAR14_EXT or something similar?

Thanks.
Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

Re: AX800 how do I know if my cellphone is connected to the extender and not the router?

Ax800 isn't a model or even a speed. 

Maybe you mean AX1800? Which is still not a model but an accurate speed. 

If so, those are mesh extenders. Meaning if you set them up in their default configuration, they'll have the same exact ssid as the router. 

are you wanting it separated? If so, you can disable the "one wifi" aka mesh feature of it. 

Message 2 of 4
The_monk
Initiate

My bad. I meant AX6000 and I am not the best with this stuff. Follow-up questions—
1. Is there a downside to disabling the “one WiFi” or mesh feature of the AX6000?
2. If I disable it, how do I then rename the AX6000 so I can tell whether I am connected to it and not the router?

Thanks.
Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

@The_monk wrote:
My bad. I meant AX6000 and I am not the best with this stuff. Follow-up questions—
1. Is there a downside to disabling the “one WiFi” or mesh feature of the AX6000?----Yes. there is. It means you have a separate ssid and devices won't "roam" as efficiently between router/extender and between bands. 
2. If I disable it, how do I then rename the AX6000 so I can tell whether I am connected to it and not the router?---when its disabled, the ssid isn't grayed out and can be modified. 

Thanks.

How do I enable or disable One WiFi Name on my Nighthawk Mesh WiFi Range Extender? - NETGEAR Support

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series