× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Add Readyshare access permission/password

robm79
Aspirant

Add Readyshare access permission/password

Installed a USB hard disk on my EX6200 (which doesn't appear in the drop-down list of products, Netgear!)

Is there any way to set different access permissions and passwords for different users? At the moment there are only 2 options: no security; or access using the EX6200 login (username: admin, password: my password).

Obviously the data needs to be inaccessible to kids' friends who come around and wish to connect their phones; but in protecting the data I don't want to use the EX6200's logon details - have to give the EX6200's logon to people who shouldn't have it, people who only need access to some of the files on the USB disk.

Can I somehow add an extra username/password pair to use for USB disk access?

Can I (shudder) use Windows own disk-access security to change permissions for particular users and groups? Tried that, but the EX6200 won't let me change anything - is there some trick to doing it?

Thanks,

Rob

Model: EX6920|AC1200-WiFi Range Extenders
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Add Readyshare access permission/password

Hi @robm79

Welcome to the community!

There's no way to set the permission by users.

Another approach you may want to do is to create folders on your USB drive and set permissions on those folders.

You can specify the exact folder location that wanted to share within your network and set passwords on it.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @robm79

Welcome to the community!

There's no way to set the permission by users.

Another approach you may want to do is to create folders on your USB drive and set permissions on those folders.

You can specify the exact folder location that wanted to share within your network and set passwords on it.

Message 2 of 4
robm79
Aspirant

Not what I wanted to hear... but thanks for the reply.

Rob

Message 3 of 4
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You're welcome.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation