× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can 2 Separate Networks share devies?

mwnance
Aspirant

Can 2 Separate Networks share devies?

I am trying to do something and dont know how to make it work.

I have a ATT Fiber modem connected to that I have a google wifi mesh system with IP  192.168.86.1  Lan   Also connected to the Modem I have my netgear XR500 modem and set up with 192.168.69.1  Lan.   I want to be able to share a network drive across the 2 networks.  I can't turn off DHCP on Google or figure out a way to see the drive if I connect it to the modem.  So is there a way to make both networks see each other?

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

Running multiple routers with dhcp on your network is a recipe for problems.
you have the att device, the google mesh device, and the XR500.
Does your att fibre modem have passthrough?
you could go:
Att (in passthrough)------>google mesh (router mode)------->XR500 (in access point mode). And only plug the google mesh into the att, have the rest of the devices plug into the google mesh/XR500.
Message 2 of 6
mwnance
Aspirant

Thank You for responding -  I had this somewhat working before but what I did is the Google Wifi to the Router.. the XR500 to the Google and it worked but my configuration was lost.   When I try to change the LAN setting son the XR500 it says I have a conflict with the WAN.. If I try to change the WAN it says it conflicts with the LAN.  So its like a chicken and egg problem.  I can do the access point method but I liked turning off DHCP on the XR500 and letting  google handle that but I cant get lan set up.

Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

Well you also have a dhcp server in the att combo device. (you have 3 of them)

you can go att device----->xr500---->google mesh

But you need to get the att device in passthrough mode or put the XR500 in the att's dmz. 

The problem is the I haven't found a good solution (easy solution) for the google mesh to either disable its dhcp or put it in access point mode. so you still end up with 2x devices that are running a dhcp server. And I don't have a google mesh to play with to tell you how to change settings on it. 

Message 4 of 6
mwnance
Aspirant

Yea I cant turn the DHCP off for the google but I turned the wifi off on the ATT router and connected the XR500 to the google and turne dDHCP off.  

The keep problem I am having is the WAN LAN settings on th XR500.   Any tips or examples on how WAN /LAN should be set up.  I fI try to change WAN it says conflicts with LAN if I try to change LAN it conflicts with WAN.   Which do I set first?

Message 5 of 6
plemans
Guru

You're caught in a catch 22.
The google doesn't easily setup in access point mode.
https://support.google.com/wifi/answer/6240987?hl=en

the XR500 is designed to increase gaming/latency times. But to do so it needs to be in router mode.

And the att device (no model yet), doesn't always play nice with other routers. Most att devices can be forced to run in passthrough mode or with a dmz.

but you're trying to make 3 different routers from different manufacturers all play nice together and they don't without quite a bit of settings playing. If they can at all.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7