× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can't connect WN300RP extender to router

Mayfly
Aspirant

Can't connect WN300RP extender to router

I've followed both options - WPS and wizard but still I can't get the Link Rate light on. All my devices see the extender OK.

At the end of the wizard it says....

'Internet no longer available move extender nearer to the router. Add the MAC code manually if your router supports this. Your mac code for the extender is xxxxxx'

I added the MAC Address but it made no difference. The router is in the same room and has been as close as 1ft away from the router.

Any help appreciated.

Please be gentle - I'm a novice user!!!
Message 1 of 11
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

If extender is connected to the main wireless router than try use googl DNS in device behind the extender

Google. Google DNS and there is now to instruction
Message 2 of 11
Mayfly
Aspirant

I don't it is - at least I don't get the Link light and can't see any indication in my DHCP list that is has.:(
Message 3 of 11
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

I'm not clear on what you said but you mean that main wireless router doesn't notcshowcexte extender is not connected ?
Message 4 of 11
Mayfly
Aspirant

Sorry - I can't get the Link Rate indicator to light up at all on the extender and the instructions say if the Link Rate LED is off there is no connection.

Also when I check the DHCP list on my router it does not show the extender MAC address - so I presume that is another indication it hasn't connected.
Message 5 of 11
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

I would remove all extender and start working one at at time , possible reset the unit and try setup again
Message 6 of 11
cilonie
Aspirant

Try to set-up the extender same room with the router and connect your computer wired to the extender as you do the set-up.

- Also be sure that the firmware of the router and extender are all updated to the latest version
Message 7 of 11
Advertman
Aspirant

what type of routers are you using to connect the netgear with? and why would the router ask to put in the mac adres of the wn3000rp is that because you use mac adres filtering?
Message 8 of 11
Mayfly
Aspirant

Hi All well over 1 month later and I still can't get it to connect - despite doing everything suggested.

Advertman I have a Belkin Surf N300 it wasn't the router that asked me to put the MAC address in was the Netgear wizard that suggested it.

Really disappointed 😞

Could there be a setting in the router that is preventing the connection? I have had no problem with other devices connecting to the Belkin - table, 2 x laptops desk top, Kindle.
Message 9 of 11
Retired_Member
Not applicable

The most important thing to do is to update to the latest firmware. The early firmware versions were very problematic for making and maintaining connections.

You should only update your firmware while WIRED. Do not attempt to update your firmware wirelessly. Consult your manual. Latest firmware is V1.0.1.34_1.1.46.

After doing this, reset the firmware by using a paperclip to push the reset button.

Start over with your configuration.....forget about inputting MAC addresses for now.

Also.....the problem may be with the settings on your router, not with your repeater. You should probably have someone knowledgeable check those settings as well.
Message 10 of 11
cilonie
Aspirant

Mayfly,

I agree with the suggested steps of PigVomit. Be sure the firmware is updated to the latest version and do a hard reset after updating the firmware.

You may also try contacting the Belkin support and have them check your settings. Inform them you will be using a repeater with the router.
Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7