× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can't print wirelessly via PC where both are connected to WAC120

Hilly68
Aspirant

Can't print wirelessly via PC where both are connected to WAC120

Hi All,

Since we changed our Wireless access point to a WAC120, PC's that are connected to it wirelessly, cannot connect to a printer that is also connected to the WAC120 wirelessly.... why is this?

My PC's that are connected wirelessly to our main wireless network downstaires or hard wired downstairs can print to it, and also, the PC's that are connected wirelessly to the WAC120 can print to the printer that is connected wirelessly to the network downstairs....

Any idea's?

We have to have the WAC120 in our lof of the main house as our router is in my office which is in an extention, so the wireless signal is too weak to cover all of our house.  The WAC120 is on a CAT5 cable that goes from our router, up to the loft, to the WAC120.

Model: WAC120|SOHO 802.11ac Gigabit Wireless Access Point
Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Can't print wirelessly via PC where both are connected to WAC120

Check the security profiles for all the wifi networks being hosted by the WAC120 (likely two - one for 2.4g and another for 5g).  Make sure that "client wireless security separation" is disabled on all of them.

There's more information on this on page 23 of the reference manual ( http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/WAC120/WAC120_RM_19Aug14.pdf )

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 13

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Normally questions on this product should be posted in the business wireless subforum.

• Can you ping the printer's IP address from PCs on both networks?
  • Have you tried removing the printer from a PC setup, and then add it again?
Message 2 of 13
Hilly68
Aspirant

Hi There,

If I ping the printer (on WAC120 - Wifi 2) from my main PC which is hard wired onto the main router downstairs it works no problem.

If I pint the Printer (on WAC120 - Wifi2) from the upstairs PC, also on WAC120 WiFi 2, it instantly fails

If I ping the printer (on Wac120 - Wifi 2) from the upstairs PC when it's connected to the down stairs Router Wif (Wifi 1) it works, and prints.

The problem is that the down stairs signal is too weak and often not strong enough to give internet access.

I've updated Win10 and updated the drivers for the TP-Link network adaptor in the up stairs PC

I've also tried countless ways and times to remove and re-add printers

Message 3 of 13
StephenB
Guru

Check the security profiles for all the wifi networks being hosted by the WAC120 (likely two - one for 2.4g and another for 5g).  Make sure that "client wireless security separation" is disabled on all of them.

There's more information on this on page 23 of the reference manual ( http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/WAC120/WAC120_RM_19Aug14.pdf )

Message 4 of 13
Hilly68
Aspirant

I've turned off the 5ghz signal a while ago as it was so unreliable.

To be fair, even the 2.4 drops out..... for instance, my phone will very often say it's connected, but no internet.

Message 5 of 13
Hilly68
Aspirant

As an adititional point.............  Our previous Wireless Acces Point...... not sure of the model, son'thing like WN802??  the one with the wizzy blue lights on the lid, never had any of these issues, it's a shame it died.

Message 6 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@Hilly68 wrote:

I've turned off the 5ghz signal a while ago as it was so unreliable.

To be fair, even the 2.4 drops out..... for instance, my phone will very often say it's connected, but no internet.

Still check the wireless isolation setting.  The symptoms you are reporting are consistent with it being enabled.

However, your 5 ghz signal certainly should be rock-solid when you are near the access point, and you shouldn't be seeing dropouts either.  Is this a new purchase? If so, I suggest exchanging it with the seller if you can.

BTW, it is rather dated (802.11n only), there are some higher performing options that support 802.11ac.  Generally, any Netgear extender with an ethernet port can be configured as an AP.  All the routers have an AP mode also. 

A router or an extender with multiple ethernet ports would let you use ethernet with the PC (and perhaps also the printer, if it has an ethernet port).

Message 7 of 13
Hilly68
Aspirant

Hi Stephen,

WOW, looks like this has worked!!  😉

I'll experiment further by adding other PC's and Printers mixed accross the 2 access points, and also try turning the 5ghz back on.

All I need to do then is to find the right Netgear model of router to go back to Netgear for that so I don;t have to use the EE Bright Box for my Fibre line 😉

Message 8 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@Hilly68 wrote:

WOW, looks like this has worked!!  😉

I'm glad I was able to help.

Message 9 of 13
Hilly68
Aspirant

Really Appreciated, thank you.

Is it possible to get the correct Date & Time set in it now........ now that I have set up my own IP address system?

OR, will I need to connect a laptop to it and return it to the default settings?

Message 10 of 13
StephenB
Guru

See page 15 of the manual for that ( http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/WAC120/WAC120_RM_19Aug14.pdf )

Usually Netgear defaults to the US pacific time zone, though that is easily changed.  The Netgear NTP servers will work, or you can use different ones.  For instance, us.pool.ntp.org in the US.

The WAC120 doesn't seem to have any automatic support for daylight savings time, so it might be an hour off.  If that happens, then you can of course fudge the time zone.  

Message 11 of 13
Hilly68
Aspirant

Ok, but will I have to return the AP to default settings and get the time set using a stand alone laptop.... or can I do it from my PC on my nextwork where I have non-default ip settings?

Message 12 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@Hilly68 wrote:

Ok, but will I have to return the AP to default settings and get the time set using a stand alone laptop.... or can I do it from my PC on my nextwork where I have non-default ip settings?

All you need to do is browse to WAC120's web ui from a PC that is connected to the same network as the AP. There's no need to reset back to default settings.  You do need to know the AP's IP address (which you should be able to find in your router's attached devices list). After you log in, you just navigate to the time settings screen (using the manual for help if you need it).

Have you set up a wireless on/off schedule on the AP?  If you haven't, then an incorrect time really doesn't matter much. It only shows up on the web UI and in the log. You could just leave it.

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7