× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can the AC1750 serve as an extender?

Sonic1221
Aspirant

Can the AC1750 serve as an extender?

Trying to set up an AC1750 as a range extender, can that be possible?

Message 1 of 17
TheEther
Guru

What is the model number?  AC1750 is a speed class.

Message 2 of 17
Sonic1221
Aspirant

Message 3 of 17
Sonic1221
Aspirant

It's an R6400

Message 4 of 17
TheEther
Guru

The R6400 with stock firmware won't really work as an extender.  If you are willing to install third-party firmware, then it will have support.

Message 5 of 17
pilot51
Guide

I'm trying to log into my AC1750 R6400 router so I can convert it into an access point. I'm doing this through the FIOS Modem/router that Frontier provided. Unfortunately, when I try to login to it through www.routerlogin.com or www.routerlogin.net, Netgear tells me:

You are not connected to your Router’s WiFi network. To access routerlogin.net, your device must be connected to your Router’s WiFi network. Check your current connection and try again.

I cannot get into the Netgear router to change it's settings. 

How can I bypass the Frontier modem/router? Even the entry to it is coax and mine is ethernet.

Thank you.

Message 6 of 17
TheEther
Guru

What is your goal?  To use the R6400 as a router or as an Access Point?

Message 7 of 17
pilot51
Guide

I want to use the AC1750 R6400 as an Access Point, wired through a Powerline adapter that I have plugged in my bedroom.

The Frontier modem/router is on one end of the house, and my bedroom is about 150 feet diagonally on the other end of the house where I hardly get a wifi signal. The one thing Frontier FIOS told me, is that for some reason, it is not bridgeable.

In order to do that I connected the AC1750 to the Frontier modem/router via an ethernet cable and attempted to log into the AC1750 that I want to use as an access point, but I got the error message: You are not connected to your Router’s WiFi network. To access routerlogin.net, your device must be connected to your Router’s WiFi network. Check your current connection and try again.

Message 8 of 17
TheEther
Guru

Ok, it may be easier for you to set up the R6400 before you connect it to your network.

Connect a PC/laptop to the R6400.  It's preferred to use Ethernet to connect to one of the R6400's LAN ports, but you can connect to its Wi-Fi network.

Log in using routerlogin.com or 192.168.1.1 (the router's factory IP address) and setup the Wi-Fi network as desired.  Decide whether you want to use the same SSID as the Frontier.  If you do, make sure the Wi-Fi password is the same, but be sure to use a different channel.  Otherwise, the Frontier and the Netgear might fight each other for airtime.

The easiest(*) way to turn the R6400 into an Access Point is to go to ADVANCED > Advanced Setup > Wireless AP and check the Enable AP Mode box.  You will have a choice between assigning a dynamic or a static IP address to the R6400.  If you opt to use a dynamic address, then the Frontier will assign the IP address to the R6400.   I recommend that you set up the Frontier to always assign the same IP address.  This will usually be done in DHCP server settings.  Write down this IP address.  You will need to use that to log into the R6400 in the future.

Click Apply to enable AP Mode.  You may lose your connection to the R6400 at this point.  That's ok.  Proceed to connect it into the network according to the illustration shown on the screen.  Basically, connect the R6400's WAN port to your Powerline adapter.  You are done.  Enjoy your new AP.

(*) The easiest way is not the fastest.  In AP mode, the R6400 can only do about 400 Mbps or slightly less.  Unless you have Gigabit speed Internet service, this probably won't be an issue.  You can avoid this performance penalty by using a different method but requires a couple of additional steps.  Disable the DHCP server, assign a static IP address and connect via LAN port (i.e. leave the WAN port disconnected).

Message 9 of 17
pilot51
Guide

That is exactly what I did before I tried connecting through the FIOS Router. I connected the Netgear router to the laptop via an ethernet cable.  When I typed 192.168.1.1, I got into the FIOS Router, because it has the same IP address and we're on it's wifi. After that, I tried but couldn't get into the Netgear router, even though I also typed www.routerlogin.net and www.routerlogin.com. After that, I tried connecting the Netgear to the FIOS Router and also wasn't successful.

I don't think it would be possible to get into the Netgear router by disconnecting the FIOS Modem/Router, because then I would have no modem to go through, and apart from that the entry to the FIOS is Coax and the Netgear's is Ethernet.

Any other ideas?

Message 10 of 17
TheEther
Guru

You don't need a modem to connect the laptop to the R6400.  Just to be clear, disconnect the R6400 from everything except power and the laptop.  Do not connect the R6400 to the FIOS Router.  Make sure the laptop's Wi-Fi is turned off and its Ethernet port is enabled.  Then you should be able to log into the R6400 via either 192.168.1.1 or routerlogin.com.

Message 11 of 17
pilot51
Guide

I understand that. I was trying to do it with the Wifi on. However, if all I connect is the R6400 to the laptop, without Wifi, how is it going to an internet connection? I'm at work right now, so I'll try it when I get home. But that's what's going thru my mind.

Message 12 of 17
TheEther
Guru

Since you seem to be having difficulties connecting to the R6400 in order to put it into AP mode, the idea is to isolate just the R6400 and the laptop so that you can accomplish this task.  Once the R6400 is in AP mode, you can connect it to the network.  Does that make sense?

Message 13 of 17
pilot51
Guide

It makes absolute sense. The only thing I'm concerned about is how to access the internet with no connection to it, when you plug in the R6400 to the PC laptop alone, with the Wifi disconnected and no wired line.

Message 14 of 17
TheEther
Guru

You don't need Internet access to set up the R6400.

Message 15 of 17
pilot51
Guide

Unfortunately, when I turned off the wifi on the pc laptop, and entered 193.168.1.1 it still gave me the Frontier login. Then I turned off the wifi on the router and it told me it couldn't connect to 192.168.1.1
Message 16 of 17
TheEther
Guru

@pilot51 wrote:
Unfortunately, when I turned off the wifi on the pc laptop, and entered 193.168.1.1 it still gave me the Frontier login. Then I turned off the wifi on the router and it told me it couldn't connect to 192.168.1.1

It should not be possible to get a Frontier login if the R6400 and PC are physically connected to each other and nothing else.  Is the PC getting an IP address from the R6400?  You may want to factory reset the R6400 just to be sure it is running in router mode.

Message 17 of 17
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series