× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Cannot install AC1900 Model EX6400 to save my life. Nighthawk app claims login / password is wrong

AM-Hawaii
Follower

Cannot install AC1900 Model EX6400 to save my life. Nighthawk app claims login / password is wrong

I cannot install this extender to save my life.  It did not respond to my router's WPS button setup.  Then, I downloaded Nighthawk and  set up the Nighthawk account in the app.  After that, when I tried to log in, it claimed that my login user name and password combo was incorrect.   I called Netgear.  I was on hold for well over 2 hours.  My phone's battery was down to 5%.  I got a tech on the phone, and I could tell she was on the other side of the world because I could  barely understand half of what she was saying.  She asked for my email addres.  Eventually, I got nowhere with her (partly, becuase I could not understand what she was saying).  I asked for a supervisor.  I was on hold for  another hour.   Then, I got a guy on the phone who quicly said "hello, hello, can't hear you ... click."  Hangs up.  Never calls me back, although I gave the woman my phone number to register the product.   

I call back again (cause I'm idiot!).  Another hour on hold.  I find out form another woman who is somewhere in India that the previous one attached the wrong email address to the  wifi extender (first name@gmail.com, not firstnamelastname@gmail.com), so, now, my wifi extender actually belongs to someone else and I still don't have any use of it.  My phone's battery died, so I cannot call  more today. 

Despite my better judgement, I bought this wifi extender (although, reviewers complained that it is very difficult to set it up) because I badly need to have better wifi for my kid who already dropped off the current wifi during two AP College Tests.  She has to have a reliable connection for her now-online studies.   This is the biggest pieces of junk.  I'm sorry, but it should not present these issues.  Not for over $100!!!

Model: EX6400|AC1900 WiFi Mesh Extender Essentials Edition
Message 1 of 2
plemans
Guru

Re: Cannot install AC1900 Model EX6400 to save my life. Nighthawk app claims login / password is wr

1. maybe the unit had been setup prior. A good place to start is factory resetting the extender. While its powered on, push and hold reset for 7-15 seconds. That'll get it back to the default settings. 

2. What router are you using? Not all device makers code wps the same so sometimes its best to use the installation assistant. I'd try that route. Its in the install instructions.

3. The EX6400 also has an ethernet port and an access point/extender mode. Make sure the switch is on extender mode. Then connect a pc to it via ethernet cable. The setup tends to go much smoother/easier when setup via ethernet connection in my experience. 

4. What firmware is on the extender?

here's the support site with firmware, manuals, troubleshooting, etc.  its a great resource. 

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/EX6400

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7