× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Cisco CP9971 voip phone causes EX7000 to reboot/restart

BowHoward
Aspirant

Cisco CP9971 voip phone causes EX7000 to reboot/restart

Anybody seen this before? I'm using a EX7000 wifi extender successfully for wifi, and when I plugin a desktop in the ethernet port, it works just fine. But the moment I connect my cisco voip phone to one of the ethernet ports, the EX7000 seems to reboot or reset. I've switched the white logo light off in the settings, but when I plug the phone in, it comes on, and the green wifi lights go off, becoming amber. Then the white led logo starts flashing, and the lights go green again and the white logo goes off. It then does this sequence all over, and in the mean time I've lost all wifi connections, and the desktop says the connection is dropped.  Once I unplug the voip phone, it returns to normal operation. The phone never works through all this, just tries to connect to its VPN, then says there is no network, and cycles through that sequence.

I've tried playing with the settings of the cisco phone, like pinning the network speed to 100 full auto instead of auto sensing, to no avail. The status log shows DHCP timeouts, which is not strange considering the extender is resetting.

The phone in principle supports wifi, but this is also not working, for different reasons that I need to follow up with the provider of the phone.

Message 1 of 4
netwrks
Master

The port should negotiate correctly, as both devices are gig capable. Which port are you plugging into, on the phone?  It should be the network port.

Message 2 of 4
BowHoward
Aspirant

Yes, I am using the network port. It works fine when plugged straight into the router, but not when plugged into the EX7000.

I also managed to connect it over the wireless to the EX7000. The same thing happens, the Netgear logo goes on, the network drops out and the lights go out, then it keeps doing that until I switch the wireless of on the phone. It looks like it sends a packet of doom through the network that the EX7000 cannot cope with, but the cable router can. Weird.

Message 3 of 4
nhann
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Is the EX7000 updated to latest firmware?

Have you tried setting a static IP on the CP9971?

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series