× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Connecting router to extender

Yooperbug
Aspirant

Connecting router to extender

Can an extender be hardwired to the router and work as it should? We are trying to get Internet to an exterior building. We’re able to run a hardwire but I’m not sure if connecting this way will work.
Message 1 of 10
plemans
Guru

Re: Connecting router to extender

some extenders can be hardwired to  your router and setup in AP mode. Not all extenders have this option though. 

What extender do you have? 

How far are you running it?

have you switched it to AP mode? 

Message 2 of 10
Yooperbug
Aspirant

I don’t have one yet. It’s about 100’ I just wanted to make sure it can be done before getting one.
Message 3 of 10
plemans
Guru

If you're running a hardline you have the option of running an extender in AP mode or a router in AP mode. Either would work. 

Message 4 of 10
Yooperbug
Aspirant

Thank you for the information. Once I get one I’ll then figure out how to run it in AP mode, haha.
Message 5 of 10
plemans
Guru

Make sure to look at the specs or manual to make sure it supports AP mode. Not all the base models or even 1 step up do. 

Message 6 of 10
Yooperbug
Aspirant

Ok, would this work?

TP-Link Wireless N300 2T2R Access Point, 2.4Ghz 300Mbps, 802.11b/g/n, AP/Client/Bridge/Repeater, 2x 4dBi, Passive POE (TL-WA801ND) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004UBU8IE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_oBx4DbG5EKCFR
Message 7 of 10
plemans
Guru

Not sure why you're asking on a netgear forum if a tplink will work.
Message 8 of 10
Yooperbug
Aspirant

Sorry wrong link NETGEAR AC1200 Dual Band Wireless Access Point (WAC104) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LFSDZCU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_x9y4Db642HG4S
Message 9 of 10
plemans
Guru

that should do the job for what you've described. 

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series