× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Devices unable to connect to EX7700 extender networks.

witwitchery
Tutor

Devices unable to connect to EX7700 extender networks.

Purchased the EX7700 extender in late March and it's worked great up until last week, when my mobile devices began to get booted off the 5G network with the 'incorrect password' error. It was only mobile devices and 2.4g network worked fine. After a few days of that, desktop devices began to get booted off the 5g network as well, no error message, just kept switching to 2.4g. I reset the router to factory settings yesterday and it seemed to have done the trick, until today. 

Today I couldn't connect mobile or desktop devices to the 5g network, which usually happens because the 5g signal doesn't reach my bedroom/office. Kept getting booted and switching to the 2.4g network... well, the whole point of having 5g fiber and an extender is so I can actually use the 5g network in my office. Try to troubleshoot, can't connect to mywifiext, can't connect to my IP address, mywifiext.local says I'm not connected to the extender networks. Well, that makes sense... except it doesn't. Device was just reset yesterday. Check the device, it's powered on, all lights are on. I moved it closer to the router and plugged it back in and it seems that I'm able to connect my laptop to the 5g network no - it's showing up under 'connected devices' when I log in to the router, but I still can't connect to mywifiext. I've tried this on multiple desktop and mobile devices so I know it's not a browser issue. Smart connect is disabled. I honestly have no clue how to continue troubleshooting and am about ready to throw this expensive paperweight with its lack of technical support out of the window. Please help!

Message 1 of 7
plemans
Guru

Re: Devices unable to connect to EX7700 extender networks.

What router are you connecting to?
What version of the firmware are you on?
Are you on version 1.0.0.210 of the firmware? 

If so, downgrade to the 1.0.0.206 version, factory reset, and reinstall. After reinstall, disable auto-updates. I've seen a coupe posts where people are having issues on the latest firmware. 

Message 2 of 7
SoCaliFox
Aspirant

I'm having issues after updating to this firmware upgrade as well.  How do I downgrade?

Message 3 of 7
plemans
Guru

to downgrade, you simply go to the support site and download the firmware version you want. 

then follow the manual firmware update process from the manual but use the firmware you downloaded. 

Message 4 of 7
SoCaliFox
Aspirant

Thank you!
Message 5 of 7
witwitchery
Tutor

Thanks @plemans! I've been putting off the downgrade for... no good reason at all, but have finally made the switch. Hopefully this will do the trick, as working has become increasingly difficult on the 2.4gHz network as my work computer slows down even more due to age.

Message 6 of 7
DavidRC
Apprentice

There is a new version of the firmware that does not seem to have the problems of the 0.210 firmware:

https://kb.netgear.com/000062873/EX7700-Firmware-Version-1-0-0-216

Model: EX7700|AC2200 Nighthawk X6 Tri-Band WiFi Mesh Extender
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series