× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Do you have to purchase support past 90 days to get access to firmware updates?

Kiwi58
Aspirant

Do you have to purchase support past 90 days to get access to firmware updates?

Hello,

I have a ex3700 range extender. It seems to work well. I am well past the 90 days of complimentary support. I don’t seem to have a way to update the firmware. I have read that Netgear won’t allow the extender to update the firmware unless you buy the support. Is that true?
Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Do you have to purchase support past 90 days to get access to firmware updates?

No.

If you have the Extender connected and in operation, and if there is an available FW update from here:

https://www.netgear.com/support/

You can log into the extenders web page and manaully update the extender using a PC and web browser. 

Message 2 of 5
plemans
Guru

Re: Do you have to purchase support past 90 days to get access to firmware updates?

what actual firmware version are you on? 

Is there a reason you think you need a firmware update? Most update only fix security issues that most users will never see. 

Not sure if you're running into a performance issue or what you want it to fix

Message 3 of 5
Kiwi58
Aspirant

I am not sure what firmware I am on? I have tried Ethernet cable connection and wireless connection while using my extenders WiFi and I can’t update the firmware. The extender does work to provide WiFi to a device in a dead zone though so I know it actually has internet connection.
Message 4 of 5
plemans
Guru

Log into the router and find out the extenders IP address. You can use that to access it, view the firmware, and manually update it. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000057115/How-do-I-update-the-firmware-on-my-NETGEAR-WiFi-Range-Extender

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7