× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: EAX12 AX1600 drops connection constantly

olsenvin1
Aspirant

EAX12 AX1600 drops connection constantly

I have an Orbi #RBR350 that doesn't quite manage to make it to the final room of the house. I bought an EAX12 AX1600 to use as an extender to reach the final room. It drops after 30 seconds, throws a tantrum, and devices revert back to the Orbi. Both 2.4g and 5g drop continuously after 30 seconds or so.

The EAX12 wifi channels disappear for a short time, before coming back to life. They'll drop again shortly after, and the cycle continues.

What I've tried so far:

• All firmware is up-to-date.
  • 6 reinstalls.
  • Power-cycling.
  • All Netgear chat support options have been trialed, including changing the Orbi router to optimal settings (DNS & wifi channels).
  • I have tried 6 different placements and locations, between 1 and 9 meters apart, even straight lines with no barriers.
  • I have installed through Nighthawk and through directly logging into the device itself.
  • I've tried using one SSID, and keeping them as separate _EXT channels.
  • I had an older Netgear extender that worked, but it was really, really slow - this was meant to be an upgrade.
  • Multiple speed tests - they're all excellent.
  • The lights are almost always all green, the router one does occasionally go red, or turn off - but comes back green shortly after.

Is there a solve for this or are these products just garbage?

Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

Try powering off one of the orbi satellites. You might be running into issue with the extender switching back and forth from satellite to router or different satellite. Its why adding an extender to a mesh system isn't the best option. 

Message 2 of 6
olsenvin1
Aspirant

Thanks @plemans , I appreciate the reply 🙂 There aren't any satellites in the house - I've tried to find one (an RBS350) but they're impossible to find in my country at the moment.

There is just the single router, a Netgear Orbi RBR350, and the mesh extender EAX12.

Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

When it goes down, are you able to connect to it still (even if it says no internet)?

If so, log into the extender and check its status page when it happens

Message 4 of 6
olsenvin1
Aspirant

I just connected to it (https://mywifiext.local), and the following things happened:

1) The first time it couldn't connect - the wifi had dropped. My computer's wifi settings showed it was still connected to the EAX12, but without internet.

2) The internet came back on, and I successfully connected to the EAX12. However, it raised a screen I could not get passed. It said the 2.4 channel was not connected, and I needed to set it up (again). I did that.

3) The whole setup process failed twice, and now neither the 2.4 or 5 channels are available for connection (I'm writing this using the RBR350 wifi).

So now, I'm back to resetting it again and reinstalling it. All I did was access it lol.

Message 5 of 6
plemans
Guru

Is it new? you might open a support case if you're within your 90 days of free support. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7