× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

EAX80 Slow LAN Upload

athos
Aspirant

EAX80 Slow LAN Upload

I have an EAX80 extender setup on one side of my house as an access point. Plugged into it is a Mac. Located elsewhere, plugged into the main router (a nighthawk) is a NAS.

• Mac hardwired to the EAX80 copying to and from the NAS -- fast as I would expect it.
  • MacBook Pro hooked up via Wifi to the EAX80 -- download fast, upload is at least 10x slower.
  • Same MBP hooked up via Wifi to the main nighthawk -- fast as I would expect.
So, something is goofy with the EAX80 uploading to the LAN and I don't know where to begin as when it's in access point mode, there aren't a lot of settings that could mess with this. Hoping someone has ideas....

Message 1 of 10
plemans
Guru

Re: EAX80 Slow LAN Upload

@athos wrote:
I have an EAX80 extender setup on one side of my house as an access point. Plugged into it is a Mac. Located elsewhere, plugged into the main router (a nighthawk) is a NAS.

• Mac hardwired to the EAX80 copying to and from the NAS -- fast as I would expect it.
  • MacBook Pro hooked up via Wifi to the EAX80 -- download fast, upload is at least 10x slower.
  • Same MBP hooked up via Wifi to the main nighthawk -- fast as I would expect.
So, something is goofy with the EAX80 uploading to the LAN and I don't know where to begin as when it's in access point mode, there aren't a lot of settings that could mess with this. Hoping someone has ideas....

What firmware is on the extender? 

If you do a speedtest not using the nas, how does the uploads do? 

I'm just trying to figure out if the uploads are slow all the time or only when connecting to the nas. 

What router are you using?

Message 2 of 10
athos
Aspirant

Firmware V1.0.0.36

My download/upload for internet is 40Mps which is what my Xfinity cap is.  That works fine.  LAN speed is the dismal thing here.

Router is the Nighthawk AX12 RAX120.

Message 3 of 10
athos
Aspirant

More details:

I reset the EAX80 and set it up again. I got my speed back.  Now, less than a week later, it's back to being slow on the WifFi upload to a LAN ethernet connected NAS.  I obviously can't reset this daily, so what is the fix for this?

Message 4 of 10
plemans
Guru

If you've tried a factory reset, heres what I'd try next. 

1. try reinstalling the firmware. A factory reset only removes settings, it doesn't overwrite the firmware. Try reinstalling the firmware incase something was corrupt. 

2. Downgrade the firmware. The eax80 is pretty new, maybe its got a bug.

3.Check the router. see if whatever router forum is for your device is reporting any issues with extenders. It wouldn't be the first router that was the culprit.

Message 5 of 10
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @athos, are you still experiencing the issue following the advice above?

Dexter

Message 6 of 10
schubert1379
Aspirant

@DexterJB wrote:

Hi @athos, are you still experiencing the issue following the advice above?

Dexter

hello 

No sir its good till now will let you know if anything happens

Thanks.

Message 7 of 10
plemans
Guru

glad to hear its working!

Message 8 of 10
athos
Aspirant

Unfortunately, my speed is gone again.  I am going to try a firmware reset tomorrow.  Again, this is a wifi client going through the EAX80 over wifi to talk to a wired server on the network. Speed is awful -- it just took me 4 minutes to copy a 150MB file....that's ridiculous. 

Wifi talking to the main nighthawk router is as fast as I expect -- it's just connected to the EAX80 that is giving the issues.

Message 9 of 10
radamski910
Initiate

Mine runs off a CAT7A gigabit line from my main R9000 X10. Download speeds through the EAX80 run max 40mbps, however the line running to the EAX80, when tested by wire laptop connection, runs my gigabit speeds at 980mbps.  It uses the newest firmware, V1.0.0.36_1.0.1

Why does this unit hardly work?  It appears severely limited, what the point of this device to deliver slow internet- either via LAN or WiFi?

Hard resetting makes no difference. Reinstallation of firmware, no different.  This appears to be a trend from other posts.

I've also gone through two EX8000s because they both failed.  Best part was yesterday the firmware upgrade (V1.0.5.18)to my R9000 totally messed that up and had to do a hard reset and restore.

The general theme I have here is that nothing seems to work well.  Support has been pretty useless and no one seems to care, or reply in any time less than 5-7 days.  Unfortunately I've bought into your equipment, but it seems that you can't make my choice worthwhile to stay.

I may soon be returning this device and moving to a more reputable company for my networking equipment.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7