× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

EX2700 - phishing?

gwyam
Follower

EX2700 - phishing?

I think I was just a victim of phishing and I gave out  my Netgear password. I got a pop-up message saying there was a problem with my wifi and when I clicked on it, I was taken to a legitimate-looking site with the Netgear logo. I was careless and entered my Netgear login info before I realized the url wasn't Netgear - it was something that started with "mywifi". What danger did I just expose myself to? I have a EX2700 extender but that's the only Netgear I have.  My modem is a Motorola so if this is a hack on my extender or Netgear account there shouldn't be any danger since they don't have a way to get my modem password, correct? I immediately tried to log in to Netgear to change my password but couldn't get in because it said my email and password were invalid, which means someone already changed my password to block me, or that it is in fact invalid (it's been years since I logged into Netgear). Any ideas or suggestions?

Model: EX2700|N300 WiFi Range Extender Essentials Edition
Message 1 of 2
plemans
Guru

Re: EX2700 - phishing?

when you log into the extender, you do indeed login into mywifiext  or mywifiext . net 

So it wasn't necissarily a phishing site. Some of netgears devices have been auto updating to require users to change the default login info. 

if you're unable to log into the extender, you can always factory reset it (push and hold reset while powered on for 7-15 seconds) and start over with installation. 

here's where you'd find the install manual, guides, videos, and firmware. 

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/EX2700.aspx

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7