× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

EX3700/AC750 WIFI Extender setup failure

dcleal
Tutor

EX3700/AC750 WIFI Extender setup failure

I have a brand new EX3700/AC750 WIFI Extender, which I can't set up as an extender.

Each time I try to set it up, it gives me a list of Wifi networks, I select my 2.4GHz network and uncheck the 5GHz option. After a short while it prompts for the password, which I enter, then it asks for names and security settings for extended Wifi networks.

Aside: It seems odd to me, but at this point in the process, it doesn't seem to be connected to my network - at least, there's nothing new in the list of DHCP leases.

Anyhow, I accept the default settings for the extended networks. It says "We are applying your settings", progress whirrs for a bit, then the network connection drops, and shortly after, the two extended networks appear. When I join either, it says "You have created an access point but we did not detect an Internet connection" and invites me to start again. It still hasn't connected to my wifi.

I don't have any MAC filters or ACL lists on the router. My network does have an internet connection (I'm using it to type this). I've been around the loop four times. I tried a factory reset which had no effect.

I also tried extending my 5Ghz rather than 2.4GHz network. This time I only got as far as entering my network password, before it whirred for a considerable time, occasionally warning me that it was about to send information insecurely, before eventually announcing that "The Extender was not able to connect to your existing network". It's worth noting that when I selected my 5GHz network, the device told me the signal strength was 99% (it is very close to the WAP!). 

I discovered that I had old firmware, so I upgraded this (from v1.0.0.78_1.0.51 to v1.0.0.96_1.0.62).  I repeated all of the above, a few odd things happened, but after a factory reset (which doesn't downgrade the firmware!) it failed in the same manner.

I also tried configuring it as an access point. It still doesn't connect to my network. I then tried configuring it as an access point with a static IP, but I can't save that static IP - when I try, the message is "WPS process is in progress, please apply the changes later". Note the existing Wifi access points (Ubiquiti) don't have WPS buttons....

I'm more or less resigned to sending this back, but any ideas before I do?

- Dave

Model: EX3700|AC750 WiFi Range Extender Essentials Edition
Message 4 of 8
dcleal
Tutor

Re: Wifi Range Extender Not Connecting

I am getting exactly the same behaviour as the OP.  I am definitely setting it up as an extender. Each time I try to set it up, it gives me a list of Wifi networks, I select my 2.4GHz network and uncheck the 5GHz option. After a short while it prompts for the password, which I enter, then it asks for names and security settings for extended Wifi networks.

Aside: It seems odd to me, but at this point in the process, it doesn't seem to be connected to my network - at least, there's nothing new in the list of DHCP leases.

Anyhow, I accept the default settings for the extended networks. It says "We are applying your settings", progress whirrs for a bit, then the network connection drops, and shortly after, the two extended networks appear. When I join either, it says "You have created an access point but we did not detect an Internet connection" and invites me to start again. It still hasn't connected to my wifi.

I don't have any MAC filters or ACL lists on the router. My network does have an internet connection (I'm using it to type this). I've been around the loop four times. I tried a factory reset which had no effect.

I also tried extending my 5Ghz rather than 2.4GHz network. This time I only got as far as entering my network password, before it whirred for a considerable time, occasionally warning me that it was about to send information insecurely, before eventually announcing that "The Extender was not able to connect to your existing network". It's worth noting that when I selected my 5GHz network, the device told me the signal strength was 99% (it is very close to the WAP!).

Any suggestions? In particular, does anyone know how to get any kind of information about what's going on from this device?

Model: EX3700|AC750 WiFi Range Extender Essentials Edition
Message 1 of 8
dcleal
Tutor

More information: I tried configuring it as an access point. This seemed to work fine. In the process, I discovered that I had old firmware, so I upgraded this (from v1.0.0.78_1.0.51 to v1.0.0.96_1.0.62).  That seemed to complete ok.

I then reconfigured as an extender. Now things are slightly worse: when I connect to it, I don't get an IP address and I can't connect to its web server. It still doesn't connect to my network either.  I guess I'll be able to downgrade the firmware with a factory reset if anyone has suggestions...

- Dave

Message 2 of 8
plemans
Guru

@dcleal please start your own thread instead of jumping on someone elses thread. We're happy to help but start your own post. 

Message 3 of 8
dcleal
Tutor

See here

Message 5 of 8
dcleal
Tutor

Re: EX3700/AC750 WIFI Extender setup failure

Update: actually, when configured as an access point, it does sometimes work - something like one reboot in two?

However, pushing it back to extender mode still fails every time.

- Dave

Message 6 of 8
plemans
Guru

If its a new extender, you should have your 90 days of free support. Might be faster to go that route. 

To get a hold of support. Click on "MyNetgear" at the top.
Register an account (or login) and then the device.
From there you can start the support process. Keep in mind that its only free for the first 90 days.

Message 7 of 8
dcleal
Tutor

I'm sending it back.

It seems outrageously difficult to get any error information out of this, I've found a few mad articles on the internet about how to get this thing into a mode where you can telnet to it, but overall it seems that Netgear don't want to help people for whom it doesn't work. So I won't try and make them.

Thanks for the interest.

- Dave

P.S. This thread seems weird, it has stuff copied from another thread, at least not (knowingly) by me. Still, hopefully the gist is clear.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7