× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

EX3800 Will Not Setup in Access Point Mode

USAF99
Aspirant

EX3800 Will Not Setup in Access Point Mode

Got my first EX3800 from Amazon and returned it thinking it was bad (which it may have been, it got REALLY hot when plugged in). 

Got the second one today and I am at a loss. I followed the instructions to the T for setting up in access mode (Fed by ethernet cable as a wifi access point instead of an extender). Plugged a ethernet cable into the EX3800, plugged it into the wall, waited for the green light, went to www.mywifiext.net (on a device connected to NETGEAR_EXT).......and here's where the trouble starts. It cannot find that page. Never loads. 

So, I disconnect the ethernet cable and set it up WPS to my modem/router. No problem, connects right up. Works like a charm. Unplug it from the wall, plug in the ethernet cable to switch over to access point mode thinking I have solved the problem....nope. Now when I plug it in with a ethernet cable plugged in, it literally takes down my entire network. I am using a SBG7580-AC with a D-Link DGS-1080G for a switch. The Extender/Access point is then plugged into the switch. As soon as I plug the EX3800 into the wall with a LAN cable plugged into it from my switch, the entire network goes down. Can't even access my modem! Unplug the EX3800 and everything is fine again. This is the second one, so I am a little leery to call it "hardware" failure. 

Hallp!

Model: EX3800|N750 WiFi Range Extender with Passthrough
Message 1 of 3
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: EX3800 Will Not Setup in Access Point Mode

Have you updated the extender to the latest firmware.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 3
USAF99
Aspirant

Re: EX3800 Will Not Setup in Access Point Mode

DarrenM, 

Yes. During the WPS it had me update to the latest firmware, and then I checked it after trying to use it in AP mode by switching back to extender mode and using the GUI menus to update. 

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7