× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: EX7000 Connection issue

woolfie
Aspirant

EX7000 Connection issue

Hi there, I am having problems with my network setup and I would really appreciate any help.

My currents set up is I have a R7800 Nighthawk Router with Cat 6 to my EX7000 and a wifi connection to my EX6410 (which is not an option in the dropdown list above).

My EX6410 seems to set up as an AC1900 Wifi Mesh Extender no problem (when I check the web setup page) but no matter what I do I cannot get the EX7000 to set up as a mesh extender.

My devices seem to always try to connect to the EX 7000 for some reason. For example I have a ring doorbell which is 5 feet from the EX6410 which will connect to the EX7000 which is at least 50 feet away.

I suppose my main questions are:-

1. Should the three pieces of kit that I have give me a Mesh network?

2. Should the EX7000 show in the setup page as a "Mesh extender"

The EX7000 is in my garage (it is an office) which is about 20 feet freom the house. Sometimes when I go out there the wifi signal on my phone gets very low. I have to disconnect and reconnect my phone to the network when I then get full strength signal. I use the same SSID on all decvices.

All devices have been updated in the last couple of days so have the latest firmware.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be very gratefully received.

Model: EX6400v2|AC1900 WiFi Mesh Extender Essentials Edition, EX7000|AC1900 Nighthawk WiFi Range Extender, R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router
Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

Problem that you're having is because in access point mode, the ex7000 isn't a mesh device. 

the mesh extenders only work as mesh when ran in extender mode and not in access point mode. 

That's why mesh is disabled on it and its also why devices tend to be "stick" and want to stay connected to it and not roam like a mesh device. 

It is a mesh extender but again, only in extender mode. 

You have a couple options. 

1. Reinstall the Ex7000 as an extender. If you do this, I'd recommend doing so in a star configuration and not daisy chained.

star:   extender<--------router-------->extender

daisy:  router--------->extender-------->extender

Problem with this is your speeds will drop. Hardwired in lets the extender hit full speeds versus running as an extender

but you gain having a mesh network

2. Rename the EX7000 to something seperate from the mesh system (router +ex6210). Then you can choose which devices connect to the ex7000

3. Upgrade to a actual mesh system like netgear Orbi that supports both wired and wireless backhauls. 

Message 2 of 4
woolfie
Aspirant

Thank you very much for your explanation. I have tried to run the EX7000 in extender mode but it still doesnt seem to work as a mesh system. I am thinking about shelving the whole lot and going for something like the ORBI. With a mesh system can the main "router" be plugged into a switch and then the satelites run from there? One of my satelites would be in the garage which seems to be a problem for Wifi even though it is only a short distance from the house! Basically I would want it as follows:-

Modem ---->Orbi---->Switch---->Cat6-----> Satelite 1

Modem ---->Orbi---->Satelite 2

Hope this makes sense

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

Yes you can set it up that route

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies