× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

EX7000 extender using an ethernet cable to a second wifi router - will it work?

mslisaj
Tutor

EX7000 extender using an ethernet cable to a second wifi router - will it work?

In my primary home I have the cable company's wifi modem/router.  It sends a wifi signal about 200' to my second home and there I have the EX7000 range extender.  I get a good signal that blankets the second home.  I also have a second wifi router there and I want to run an ethernet cable from the range extender to the wifi router "in" port but there is no pass through of the internet signal through the wifi router cabled to a second desktop computer and there is no internet information on the wifi signal either.  If I disconnect the wifi router and run the cable from the range extender tp my desk top it works perfectly.  But when I connect the extender cable to the wifi router there is no wifi information being broadcast and the pass through that is connected to the desktop contains no "internet" information either.  I thought I had the perfect situation worked out here but it doesn't work.  Why?

Thanks for your help

Model: EX7300|AC2200 Nighthawk X4 Wall-plug Range Extender
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
TheEther
Guru

Re: EX7000 extender using an ethernet cable to a second wifi router - will it work?

@mslisaj wrote:

Well from my response here you can tell I am not a wifi guru.  Some explaination of your "simple" terms will be helpful.  I'm assuming I will make all these changes to my "access point", "Hot Spot" router that I want at the very end of the line.

So the instructions will go like this:

1) Find in the routers GUI the DHCP server and disable that.

Right.  You may want to set up the Wi-Fi settings on the Access Point before you do this.

2)  "Set it's LAN IP address in the same sub net as the main router".  So my immediate question for that is the "main router" the EX7000 range extender or do I have to go all the way back to the modem/router at the cable box?  If I have to go all the way back to that router how do I dind the LAN IP address of that machine?  Also exactly what will that LAN IP address look like so I know I am looking at the right numbers? 

The EX7000 is not a router.  Therefore, you have to go all the way back to the modem/router.  Its IP address will be listed as the default gateway or router address on any laptop or smartphone that is connected to your network.  It will very likely be one of the following, but it could be something else.

Enter the address into a computer browser and this should take you to the login page of the modem/router.  I hope you know the username and password to log into it.  They may be written on the side of the modem/router.  Otherwise, you may have to look it up in the manual or do a Google search for the modem/router's model number.

3) Then "make sure to use an address that cannot be assigned by the DHCP server of the WiFi Extender or again, all the way back to the modem/router at the main cable box?  As you can tell again I'm not sure what that kind of "address" would look like or ever how to make sure I would get one that "can not be assigned".  Any simple help here? 

All the way back to the modem router, again.  The DHCP server will have settings that define the range of addresses that it can assign to attached devices.  It will usually be expressed as a starting and ending address.  For example, 192.168.1.2 could be the starting address and 192.168.1.100 could be the ending address.  If the ending address is 192.168.1.254, then you need to change this to "free" up an address that your Access Point will use.  You could change it to 192.168.1.200, for example.  Then you can use 192.168.1.254 for your Access Point.

Note, if the starting and ending addresses are 192.168.0.2 and 192.168.0.254, respectively, then you'll change the ending address to 192.168.0.200, not 192.168.1.200.  And you would use 192.168.0.254 for your Access Point.

Make sure to go back to the Access Point and set the LAN IP address to 192.168.1.254 or 192.168.0.254, as appropriate.  Once you do this, you may lose your connection to the Access Point.  You'll have to use this new IP address from now on to log back into the Access Point.

4) Finally your telling me to use the wired ethernet cable out of the wifi extender and plug it in to one of the four ports on the back of the access point/hot spot router and not into the "internet in" port on the router? 

Yup.  The "internet in" port will remain unused.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7

All Replies
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: EX7000 extender using an ethernet cable to a second wifi router - will it work?

Hello Mslisaj

Do you have that second router set up as a access point?

DarrenM

Message 2 of 7
mslisaj
Tutor

No I don't and I don't think it can be.  Should I buy a router that can be set as an access point and will that do what I'm trying to do?  Remember I am trying to set up a second network that I can run a ethernet cable to my computer and have wifi also.  

Thanks for taking your time to respond to my question.

Lisa

Message 3 of 7
TheEther
Guru

Any router can be set up as an Access Point.  Simply disable the DHCP server, set its LAN IP address in the same subnet as the main router (make sure to use an address that cannot be assigned by the DHCP server on the main router) and connect one of its LAN ports to the network.  In your case you would connect it to your extender.

Message 4 of 7
mslisaj
Tutor

Well from my response here you can tell I am not a wifi guru.  Some explaination of your "simple" terms will be helpful.  I'm assuming I will make all these changes to my "access point", "Hot Spot" router that I want at the very end of the line.

2)  "Set it's LAN IP address in the same sub net as the main router".  So my immediate question for that is the "main router" the EX7000 range extender or do I have to go all the way back to the modem/router at the cable box?  If I have to go all the way back to that router how do I dind the LAN IP address of that machine?  Also exactly what will that LAN IP address look like so I know I am looking at the right numbers?

3) Then "make sure to use an address that cannot be assigned by the DHCP server of the WiFi Extender or again, all the way back to the modem/router at the main cable box?  As you can tell again I'm not sure what that kind of "address" would look like or ever how to make sure I would get one that "can not be assigned".  Any simple help here?

4) Finally your telling me to use the wired ethernet cable out of the wifi extender and plug it in to one of the four ports on the back of the access point/hot spot router and not into the "internet in" port on the router?

Sorry I am so dense on this stuff but I am on a steep learning curve to get it right.  I would like to make the correct changes the first time and have it work and not donate an entire day into attempting to make it work.  One final question, on this Access Point/Hot Spot can I give it a unique SSID or do I have to use the main SSID that is used on the extender?

Thanks again for your help.

Lisa

Message 5 of 7
TheEther
Guru

@mslisaj wrote:

Right.  You may want to set up the Wi-Fi settings on the Access Point before you do this.

The EX7000 is not a router.  Therefore, you have to go all the way back to the modem/router.  Its IP address will be listed as the default gateway or router address on any laptop or smartphone that is connected to your network.  It will very likely be one of the following, but it could be something else.

Enter the address into a computer browser and this should take you to the login page of the modem/router.  I hope you know the username and password to log into it.  They may be written on the side of the modem/router.  Otherwise, you may have to look it up in the manual or do a Google search for the modem/router's model number.

All the way back to the modem router, again.  The DHCP server will have settings that define the range of addresses that it can assign to attached devices.  It will usually be expressed as a starting and ending address.  For example, 192.168.1.2 could be the starting address and 192.168.1.100 could be the ending address.  If the ending address is 192.168.1.254, then you need to change this to "free" up an address that your Access Point will use.  You could change it to 192.168.1.200, for example.  Then you can use 192.168.1.254 for your Access Point.

Note, if the starting and ending addresses are 192.168.0.2 and 192.168.0.254, respectively, then you'll change the ending address to 192.168.0.200, not 192.168.1.200.  And you would use 192.168.0.254 for your Access Point.

Make sure to go back to the Access Point and set the LAN IP address to 192.168.1.254 or 192.168.0.254, as appropriate.  Once you do this, you may lose your connection to the Access Point.  You'll have to use this new IP address from now on to log back into the Access Point.

Yup.  The "internet in" port will remain unused.

Message 6 of 7
mslisaj
Tutor

Dear "TheEther",

Thanks so much for the help and you got my system going.  I now have a fully functioning "wireless access point" up and running that is delivering wifi and cabled internet to my outlaying systems.  I had envisioned this working like this but didn't know exactly how to do it but piece by piece I got it working thanks to your help.  Now I can move on to other projects.

Best regards,

Lisa

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7